Olympics and Dictatorships

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:51 pm
What are your thoughts on countries that are dictatorships participating in the Olympics ? Should they be included or excluded ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,236 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:11 pm
The Olympics in its purest form is supposed to be a place that all nations and peoples are welcome among their fiercest enemies.

Even in Ancient Greece, the ultimate enemies of Athens and Sparta competed together in a spirit of peaceful competition.

Involving politics and personal animosities in the Games violates their ultimate purpose.

Just my 2 cents (pre tax)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:26 pm
Fedral wrote:
The Olympics in its purest form is supposed to be a place that all nations and peoples are welcome among their fiercest enemies.

Even in Ancient Greece, the ultimate enemies of Athens and Sparta competed together in a spirit of peaceful competition.

Involving politics and personal animosities in the Games violates their ultimate purpose.

Just my 2 cents (pre tax)

Since when were Athens and Sparta "ultimate enemies?"
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:20 pm
hobitbob wrote:

Since when did he say they were? Try rereading the sentence again. It says "the ultimate enemies OF Athens and Sparta".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:22 pm
Yes, I read it implying that Athens and Sparta were "ultimate enemies."
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:20 pm
Why would they be excluded?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:32 pm
hobitbob wrote:

Since at least 457 B.C.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:39 pm
Not really. They often collaborated.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:46 pm
Cereal, what reasons would ther ebe for excluding them?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:08 pm
Not saying I agree with these reasons but two of my thoughts are:

1) governments who commits human rights violations against their people might be a reason to exclude them from participation

2) safety of the athlete returning home to a dictatorship after losing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:13 pm
Did anyone see the 60 minutes piece on the Olympics in Greece?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:15 pm
Thanks. I'm sure there are more good reasons, but I couldn't think of any myself.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:18 pm
husker wrote:
Did anyone see the 60 minutes piece on the Olympics in Greece?

Yup. Very Happy I wanna go!!!!!!!
USAREUR did a ticket lottery in 1992, that I didn't win, but I went to Barcelona and partied anyway. Hmmm.......Spanish Girls....Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:20 am
Actually, apartheid South Africa was excluded for quite a while. So was Rhodesia, before it became Zimbabwe.

The key to the question is who has the right to exclude. Who draws the line between a dictatorship and a non-dictatorship.
So far it is the IOC. And these businessmen are mostly interested in making money.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:25 am
I'm more against them being able to host the games than participate. China will host it in 2008, and that games looms as even more of a drug soaked joke than it's already become.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
The IOC is an international non-governmental non-profit organisation and the creator of the Olympic Movement. The IOC exists to serve as an umbrella organisation of the Olympic Movement. It owns all rights to the Olympic symbols, flag, motto, anthem and Olympic Games.

It's members are to be found HERE.

Actually, I couldn't find any reason, why a country with a NOC could be excluded from the games - this didn't happen ever before, since there are no such rules.

And I only just noticed that this is posted in 'Politics' Shocked
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:35 am
According to the IOC chart, the Olympic movement opposes any political abuse of athletes.
My take is that most athletes are used at some time as propaganda by governments.

South Africa was excluded from 1960 to 1988.
Rhodesia was excluded from 1960 to 1980.
In 1920, Austria, Bulgaria, Germany, Hungary and Turkey were barred from competition because of their role in World War I.
In the post-World War II Games of 1948, staged in London, Germany and Japan were both excluded.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:40 am
Hmm - on the other hand, Olympic games are competitions of individual athletes, not of nations.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hmm - on the other hand, Olympic games are competitions of individual athletes, not of nations.

De Coubertin is dead.
The Games today ressemble much more those of Ancient Greece than the famous Frenchman's rich boys' utopia.

And usually, the organizing commitee hands to the media the official-unofficial medal count by countries.
0 Replies