Holiday traditions

Piffka

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 09:05 pm
littlek -- Your cake looks fantastic -- I love those mushrooms! Was that two cake recipes? or did you divide one? Good job, you're hired!!! ... and was it delicious? The frosting looks like rich fudge. Yum.

JoanD -- Glad to hear that you have a similar tradition of be-ribboning. I think ours started with my older sister, ages ago. She was visiting us yesterday and captured both puppies with wide ribbons. They looked so cute!

Hope everyone had a wonderful day. Just think, eleven more days of Christmas! Wooheeeee!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 07:27 am
Littlek, what a wonderful cake! I am very impressed! I just made some brownies. They were very good but nothing compared to your yul log. Did the family appreciate it?
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 08:36 am
Littlek,
your cake looks just great. A Yule log should last for 24 hours- yours looks so tempting, guess it didn't last that long.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:26 pm
Hey all, thanks. yep I made it, it was a double batch - I believe it was a Julia Childs recipe.

It lasted for more than 24 hours, Ul. It was pretty big and very rich.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:41 pm
ah..glad to hear it came out well...excellent
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:44 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 11:10 am
Whaat? Didn't save any for us????

I am inspired... next year, maybe I'll try to make one. Were the mushrooms hard to do? They looked great!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 11:53 am
littlek- super.
Now I am off to Italy to the annual traditional cooking and baking.
Yum!
Happy New Year!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 12:19 pm
..... trying hard to hold back huge waves of envy..... will there be snow in Italy?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 12:30 pm
Ul have fun!!!!!

Piffka - it's not that hard really. Just a lot of picky steps. Each part takes whipped egg-whites. Maybe I can figure out which recipe my mom has.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 12:42 pm
Doesn't Italy for the last few days of Christmas sound like fun? Most likely Ul is celebrating New Year's there, too. It just sounds wonderful.

I have Julia's Way to Cook cookbook... and there's several pages of how to do the Yule Cake... which may be what has stopped me! I wonder if it is the same recipe as what your mom has. You started Christmas Eve morning, right?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 12:45 pm
My mother made the frosting on the 23rd I think and I made the cake on xmas morning.

If it's in Julia's cook book, it's got to be the same recipe. It's really not that hard.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 12:48 pm
... she says! It is a roll-up cake, it looks like, and I always have problems with those. But I think I'll try.

I like your new avatar by the way. Which fairy is it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 01:00 pm
I don't know which fairy it is. It's from "Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairies" book by Brian Froud.

Just make sure that the cake to be rolled is not over-cooked - no had edge.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 01:09 pm
I WANT that book... had it in my hands once, then foolishly set it back down.

Ahh, the hard edges? I think THAT has been my problem.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 01:29 pm
Hi littlek, I know I've mentioned this on some other forums, but our family tradition is on New Years Day. My wife and family make tons of food to be served to family and friends. I usually buy about five pounds of fresh tuna to be used as sushi, three-four pounds of medium sized shrimp my wife cooks as tempura, and I boil about two pounds, and I buy about three pounds of dungeness crab -cracked and cleaned. We have charshu, chow mein, teriyaki chicken, maki-sushi, salads, rice, gombo (a kind of root cooked in a shoyu sauce), soft drinks, beer, wine, saki, and some other dishes our family or friends might bring. I offer hard drinks too, but they don't seem to want anything that's hard liquor. We're expectding about 25 people on New Years Day. We usually end up with too much food, and not enough people. However, rarely do we waste any food. c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 03:56 pm
I'm going to cic's! that sounds great!

piffka - there's an anniversary edition out. I got a caledar from quinn.....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 04:48 pm
Right. Expect about 27 people there, C.I., OK?

How do you make tuna sushi?

-- nice present from Quinn! I want that book!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 04:49 pm
Okay, littlek. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 04:50 pm
You too, Piffka! Wink c.i.
0 Replies