Philosophy help

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 06:26 pm
I am writing an essay for my intro to ethics class and need some help. I go to class every day and read all the readings but still have trouble grasping the concepts of this class. I have to write about one of these four questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for someone to write my essay, i simply would like someone to explain the answers in simple easy to understand terms. The readings confuse me and the teacher is not very helpful when you ask him questions. He is one of the professors who is really to smart to teach, and expects you to know everything. The four questions are...

1. What relationship, if any, is there between religion and ethics? Discuss any two (2) thinkers from Kant, Kierkegaard, and Mill, and come to your own critical understanding on the question.

2. Both Kant and Kierkegaard can be viewed as offering a non-teleological ethic. What similarities and differences do you see between their respective understandings of non-teleology? Come to your own critical understanding on the validity of non-teleology.

3. Kant, Kierkegaard, and Mill, in their own way, can be understood as representative of ‘modern’ moral theories. Briefly discuss how modern moral theories may differ from pre-modern forms and select any two (2) thinkers to address how they may or may not be ‘modern’ moral theorists.

4. Select any two (2) thinkers from Kant, Kierkegaard, and Mill, and discuss the relationship between reason, desire, passion in the moral life. Come to your own critical understanding on this issue.

Thank you for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:04 pm
@grrttwright,
Quote:
1. What relationship, if any, is there between religion and ethics?

Is ethics rooted in our religious beliefs?
Or is it rooted in inter-human, social functions?
In other words, do we have ethics because we have religion, or do we have religion because we are ethical beings?

I'd go for that one, and then I'd examine the question on the basis of my own understanding, referencing similarities and contrasts to the views of the two philosophers you select.

The bottom line is what you think. Choose the same talking points as your philosophers, and compare your views to theirs. If you can include considerations about the times they lived in contra the times you live in, and how that might have affected their/your conclusions, that probably wouldn't hurt.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 07:12 pm
@grrttwright,
The point of the exercise is thinking for yourself
fresco

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 11:01 am
@Germlat,
So why ask ? Smile
Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:07 pm
@fresco,
What exactly I'm I asking ...you replied to the wrong post
fresco

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 01:18 pm
@Germlat,
Sorry !
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 08:03 pm
@fresco,
Maybe I see what you meant...nuances are sometimes lost when simply writing right?
0 Replies