How did you choose your screen name?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:10 pm
I have two books on South African birds. One by Newman, and the other by Sasol. Anybody with questions or request for a photo of South African birds can refer them to me. Before my visit to Africa, my interst in birds were almost nonexistent. But after my visit, my interest got a booster shot, and many of my personal photos are of birds. There are over 400 South African birds. The colors, sizes, and varieties are really amazing. c.i.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:24 pm
Piffka's absolutely right about the development destroying natural habitat. That's on of the really good reasons why we should help in any way we can to save the Rainforests of the world. Anyone interested in doing that may signup to save 23 sq ft per click at:

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=949951040

And, if you are further interested in talking with other people about saving Rainforest habitat for birds and other animals including man who depend on it for their existence you may do so at:

http://www.abuzz.com/interaction/s.306365/discussion

I know, it's on THAT OTHER site <g> but, I believe it is a good thing.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:30 pm
Bird Forum and Other Things
It's sure difficult not to feed the beauteous Hummingbirds, I know.

But, right, increased planting of their natural food stuffs is the best possible thing that people can do -- which allows the birds t more naturally forage, and move along as they do, and would in the wild, and should.

There's a catalogue I get in the mail called "High Country Gardens" that's filled with all sorts of North American Prairie plants and all sorts of Hummingbird friendly plants, that are grown in New Mexico and available nationwide for all arid and colder climates, in addition to more normal environments.

If I can find a website, I'll post their URL later, but, anyway, just Google it under that name and I'm sure you'll find the place. They also sell all the now-nearly extinct native grasses from the North American Prairie lands, along with all the flowers. It's a great source.

About a Thread for and about Birds -- or, a forum, even -- I did create a new forum (called "For the Birds" -- a new Usergroup), but it's for the discussion of MYTH and MYTHOLOGY, not about the biology and ecology of birds as a species.

However, anyone's welcome to join who enjoys discussing mythological imagery and characterizations in our history, where birds are concerned, among other species of animals, and other personnas, too.

Maybe we should have a "Wildlife" Forum -- that way people could create Threads about birds and other animals and enviromental issues.

I'll try...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:34 pm
Ah, Danon, Thanks for the reminder. I used to be a rainforest clicker. If I had a daily reminder on A2K, I'm sure I'd be clicking regularly.

I'll be looking for the wildlife forum!
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:34 pm
There's a Wilderness Forum, Already:
I found a Forum that's already here, called "Wilderness...and Ecology..."
at this URL.

Threads about birds and birding would work well there, from the look of things.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:45 pm
The Rainforest interaction site is - I hope, because Abuzz is down yet again and can't check it - :
((checked later and this is it))

http://www.abuzz.com/interaction/s.306365/discussion
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 06:12 pm
Piffka - you can have the rainforest site send you a daily reminder. You don't need to rely on any other site to do it for you. I've got it set to a weekly reminder, as clicking is so much a part of my daily routine - i just like to get the newsletter with helpful hints once a week.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 06:23 pm
Really? Would that be part of the care2 website I haven't explored yet?
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 06:50 pm
ehBeth, you are just TOO good.

Piffka, we NEED all the help we can get to forge ahead in winning this fight to save not only the animals habitat but all those chemicals that help our medical profession which are being destroyed to extinction as we speak. Gads, I feel like I've been reading way too much Craven!!! Long sentence with nothing in the way of punctuation in between. LOL :-D

You ladies have a very Happy New Year and I wish you and yours all the good health and happiness in the year to come.
Dan
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 04:16 pm
Hi to ALL of you who welcomed me. Since I have been doing a LOT of traveling, I have just NOW, gotten back to reading.
Since I haven't read EVERYTHING, I will wait to see what all have said. Soon-------
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:01 pm
Welcome aboard jackie and have fun with whatever you do on A2K!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:06 pm
I am the Phoenix- who died and was reborn out of the ashes!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:07 pm
Then this must be our lucky day! I'm happy!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 06:01 pm
I'm not exactly a Texas Star but when I placed my server, tstar, in the wrong space I became one.

But, what the heck, we were just purchasing a 12" granite star to place in the white granite of our home. and, there was that little ditty we sang as kids here in Texas:

I'm a Texan I'm a Texan I'm a Texan I'm a star
Came from the prairie where the honky tonks are

Actually I'm not a Texan at all, spending most of my adult life in the north. But, we've retired here...and, that's it folks.

Tex-Star ...............fun thread
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:04 pm
Tex, How come you didn't pick "blue bonnet?" LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:54 pm
There have been so many threads like this (on Abuzz) that I'm really worried you're all tired of hearing it.

So? I'm gonna lie. I chose the name Misti because I was in a depressed mood when I joined Abuzz, I felt alone and desperate, and was Misti-eyed ~ so I tied one on!

Thanks for asking ... I feel better now!
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:24 pm
C.I., Bluebonnet? (laugh, laugh) . God, that is really corny. Tacky. So much bad art with the bluebonnets. But, the actual thing - bluebonnets - they are very beautiful along with the indian paint brushes. They last until June, then we get all the red, gold, yellow wildflowers, as far as the eye can see for a month or so.

"Cactus" would be better, we pull that stuff from our clothes & shoelaces every day. Off the poor little dog, too. Or, "hurty pickers" is what my grandaughter calls those weeds that grow one hundred stickers per grass blade. Or, "cedar chopper." Two years is about how long it takes to chop your own cedar trees, get them to the burnpit.

Tex-Star

Are you going to New Mexico in May? I might not be able to but hope you're there in case we do.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 04:57 pm
Why's everybody going to New Mexico in May? I'll be there March 24 - April 18. Roswell. Can't return that soon although July is possible because I have tentative plans to be in West Texas in July.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:21 pm
Tex, Some of us non-Texans also understand that "blue bonnet" is also the favorite ice cream in the lone star state. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 08:04 pm
Great, Andrew. Just Great. You will be in New Mexico while everyone else is in Florida.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/12/2024 at 03:07:27