Protecting your child from bullying by intervening

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 05:22 am
A child was biting my child in front of me and I separated them by intervening by placing my arm on the childs arm to separate them. Does anyone know what the law is in regards to protecting your child if on school grounds? Apparently I am not allowed to touch anyones child even though I was protecting my own and I didn't use any force and the child was not hurt in anyway? Help, I need assistant? Surely the law is to protect your own children if the person bullying my child parents cannot look after their own child?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,075 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 05:33 am
@Pelican bird,
Did anyone with authority say or do anything or even inquire about the incident?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 05:44 am
@Pelican bird,
Plus I guarantee that each of the 50 state's has their own separate law so in theory no one here can answer this question.

And as Ragman asked already, were you appproached or even reprimanded by any authority or is this a question on future incidents? If its the former? Contact an attorney.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 08:44 am
Oy.

This modern world.

In my day the biter would have got a thick ear and his/her parent would have given him another one when she'd found what he'd done.

Where's the common sense gone?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 08:59 am
@Pelican bird,
As others have said laws vary by state.

However, the one thing that concerns me is that you said this is on school grounds - was school in session? If so, as a parent, why were you there - are you volunteering to help at recess? Just kind of confusing to me.

If this was during school hours, then the school should be in trouble if a child is injured. Biting is a huge no-no even more so than hitting, punching and kicking. There are so many things that can be caught due to the human bite. I would speak with the school authorities about that. Pushing a child away with minimal contact is much less an offense or issue to me than a human bite.

If it was not during school hours and on say a playground where children play - then where was the parent of the other child? Was the child unsupervised? Again you have a leg to stand on as biting is considered an assault and by stopping the other child you were defending against an assault.

Did the bite break the skin? If so, you should definately bring your child to a doctor to be tested. Also how old were the kids - I am guessing they were pretty young - unusual for older children to bite.
0 Replies