This is disturbing news

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 09:13 pm
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/last-president-obama-reportedly-told-024401509.html

The article surprises me, because didn't Obama win a Nobel Peace Prize.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 09:44 pm
@mysteryman,
That's ok. Teddy Roosevelt, the hero of San Juan Hill, also won the Peace Prize. And, for some reason, the Nobel committee thought that Winston Churchill deserved the Literature Prize for some books that were, by all accounts, written mostly by his 'researchers.'
trying2learn

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 10:41 pm
@mysteryman,
Nothing surprises me about him anymore....

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 07:18 pm
He won a Nobel Peace prize without doing a single, solitary thing to promote peace.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 07:35 pm
Lustig Andrei said: "for some reason, the Nobel committee thought that Winston Churchill deserved the Literature Prize for some books that were, by all accounts, written mostly by his 'researchers.' "
---------------------------------------------------------
Drwam on muchacho, he was in the thick of things on the Northwest Frontier, the Sudan and Boer War and wrote first-hand accounts, and NOBODY ever said-"Hey i was there and he made it all up!"
I like this quote of his when he saw the muslim army advancing on the British Army at Omdurman-"They think they're going to win!"
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 08:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I do wish you'd learn how to read the English language, nino mio, or at least take a course in basic verbal cognition. No one has said that anything in Sir Winston's writings was "made up." No one has denied his presence in the Boer War nor the fact of his premiership during World War II. The Nobel committee specifically cited his magnum opus, i.e. his history of the English-speaking people and his multi-volume account of the strategy of World War II. By the time those books were written ol' Sir Winston was way too far gone into the Never-Neverland of VSOP Cognac and single-malt Scotch to do much writing of his own. He'd write what he could and his "research team" would polish it up to sound like English prose.

Grow up, chico.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 09:38 pm
@mysteryman,
Killing what? Bugs? Health Insurance? American Prestige?

Anyone can be good at killing if they are the Commander-in-Chief of the US military.

This is the sort of comment you'd expect from a 7th grader, not the supposed smartest president to ever serve.

According to Valerie Jarrett, The One is so smart he's been bored his whole life. I guess playing Snuff the Arab with drones excited him.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2013 09:55 pm
Lustig said:- "He'd [Churchill] write what he could and his "research team" would polish it up to sound like English prose"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well why didn't the Nobel Committee award the literature prize to his "research team" and not to him?
Anyway the fact is he didn't need to research anything because he was on the spot to see and hear everything for himself and then write about it..Smile
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 02:00 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Gad! You are really dense, aren't you?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 02:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Your profile says you're from Hawaii mate, Captain Cook sailed halfway round the world to civilise you heathens!
We'll gloss over the fact that you ate him but at least he taught you to speak passable English first..Smile
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 02:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Stick to the subject, idiot boy.

Fyi, I was born in Latvia in the year 1938, speak fluent Latvian, speak English far better than you due to the fact that I've lived in the USA since age 11 and have three different degrees from American universities. I have been a resident of Hawaii (a state of the USA, btw) for the past five years.

But what the **** is your point and what does all that crap have to do with the subject at hand?

You're not just dense; you're beyond help.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 03:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

the supposed smartest president to ever serve.

Does anyone here really think he or she is smarter than Obama?

There's a quiz you can take to find out for sure:
http://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-figures/smarter-than-obama-quiz.htm

I have more humility than some people here. I always thought I was dumber than Obama.
Well, it turns out I really am. I only scored 10/20. So...an F. Sad
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 03:21 pm
@Kolyo,
I scored 12/20. Not good. But, in all fairness, how'm I supposed to know the Indonesian word for 'toilet'?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
In fairness, Roosevelt got the peace prize for bringing the Russians and the Japanese together to negotiate an end to the Russo-Japanese War. I think that qualifies.
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:39 pm
I scored 12 out of 20, but a lot of that was bullshit. How the hell is a well-educated person supposed to be expected to know trivia about Hawaii if they don't actually live there? A good deal of it had absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Obama.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I scored 12 out of 20, but a lot of that was bullshit. How the hell is a well-educated person supposed to be expected to know trivia about Hawaii if they don't actually live there? A good deal of it had absolutely nothing to do with Mr. Obama.

Yeh, even I had to guess at a couple of the Hawaiian questions. I got 'em right butit was partly guesswork.When you get to Indonesia, I'm lost.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In fairness, Roosevelt got the peace prize for bringing the Russians and the Japanese together to negotiate an end to the Russo-Japanese War. I think that qualifies.

That's true, of course,but my point was that when you think of ole Rough and Ready Teddy you're not apt to think of a peace-loving character. Walk softly and all that.
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I agree with the image portion of that. I've read a biographer who posits, not unreasonably, that he was always privately embarrassed that Theodore Roosevelt, Sr. had not taken part in the American civil war. His mother was Martha Bulloch of a prominent Georgia family, and his father had promised her that he would not take up arms against her brothers. One of her brothers has been the Confederate naval officer who, as envoy in England, had arranged the construction of CSS Alabama in Liverpool. A younger uncle had served with Raphael Semmes on board Alabama. His two uncles remained in Liverpool after the war to avoid prosecution. Although they might eventually have returned to Georgia, they made Liverpool their home. Theodore, Jr. visited them there more than once, and he engaged in hero-worship of his younger uncle. His father honored his promise to his mother, and never wore the uniform. He organized the allotment scheme which allowed soldiers to send their pay home to their families, and toured the armies encouraging the men to sign up.

He was, as most people are, complex. After Cuba, it is noteworthy that he never attempted to use the big stick he carried. I think his actual experience of war changed his attitude completely. He spent much of his life proving that he was as big and bad and tough as any man, and i suspect that it was only late in life that he learned what a hollow exercise that is.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 06:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo,
Where did you learn that the Hawaiians ate Captain Cook?
That is waaaaay off the truth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cook

Quote:
On 14 February 1779, at Kealakekua Bay, some Hawaiians took one of Cook's small boats. As thefts were quite common in Tahiti and the other islands, Cook would have taken hostages until the stolen articles were returned.[4] He attempted to take hostage the King of Hawaiʻi, Kalaniʻōpuʻu. The Hawaiians prevented this, and Cook's men had to retreat to the beach. As Cook turned his back to help launch the boats, he was struck on the head by the villagers and then stabbed to death as he fell on his face in the surf.[44] Hawaiian tradition says that he was killed by a chief named Kalaimanokahoʻowaha or Kanaʻina.[45] The Hawaiians dragged his body away. Four of the Marines with Cook were also killed and two wounded in the confrontation.

The esteem in which he was nevertheless held by the Hawaiians resulted in his body being retained by their chiefs and elders. Following the practice of the time, Cook's body underwent funerary rituals similar to those reserved for the chiefs and highest elders of the society. The body was disembowelled, baked to facilitate removal of the flesh, and the bones were carefully cleaned for preservation as religious icons in a fashion somewhat reminiscent of the treatment of European saints in the Middle Ages.

Next time do a little basic research before making a stupid comment.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 07:14 pm
@mysteryman,
Thanx for that,mm. I recall reading somewhere that there is some evidence that they may have eaten a part of Cook's heart, a tradition of trying to acquire for themselves some of the attributes of a worthy and courageous enemy. But, except for some small rituals like that, cannibalism was never commonplace in the Sandwich Islands. Papua-New Guinea now . . .
0 Replies