South Asian Religious Fundys Threaten Americans Again!

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:52 pm
But its not whom many will assume....
Quote:
Wrath Over a Hindu God
U.S. Scholars' Writings Draw Threats From Faithful

By Shankar Vedantam
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, April 10, 2004; Page A01

Folklore has it that elephants never forget, and Paul Courtright has reason to believe it. A professor of religion at Emory University, he immersed himself in the story of Ganesha, the beloved Hindu god with the head of an elephant. Detecting provocative Oedipal overtones in Ganesha's story -- and phallic symbolism in his trunk -- he wrote a book setting out his theories in 1985.

Nineteen years later, thanks to an Internet campaign, the world has rediscovered Courtright's book. After a scathing posting on a popular Indian Web site, he has received threats from Hindu militants who want him dead.

"Gopal from Singapore said, 'The professor bastard should be hanged,' " said Courtright, incredulous. "A guy from Germany said, 'Wish this person was next to me, I would have shot him in the head.' A man called Karodkar said, 'Kill the bastard. Whoever wrote this should not be spared.' Someone wanted to throw me into the Indian Ocean."

Other academics writing about Hinduism have encountered similar hostility, from tossed eggs to assaults to threats of extradition and prosecution in India.

The attacks against American scholars come as a powerful movement called Hindutva has gained political power in India, where most of the world's 828 million Hindus live. Its proponents assert that Hindus have long been denigrated and that Western authors are imposing a Eurocentric world view on a culture they do not understand.

That argument resonates among many of the roughly 1.4 million Hindus in North America as well.

In November, Wendy Doniger, a University of Chicago professor of the history of religion who has written 20 books about India and Hinduism, had an egg flung at her by an angry Hindu when she was lecturing in London. It missed.

In January, a book about the Hindu king Shivaji by Macalester College religious studies professor James W. Laine provoked violent outbursts: One of Laine's collaborators in India was assaulted, and a mob destroyed rare manuscripts at an institute in India where Laine had done research. The Indian edition was recalled, and India's prime minister warned Laine not to "play with our national pride." Officials said they want to extradite the Minnesota author to stand trial for defamation, and the controversy has become a campaign issue in upcoming parliamentary elections.

Doniger, a 63-year-old scholar at the center of many controversies, is distressed to see her field come under the sway of what she regards as zealots.

"The argument," she said, "is being fueled by a fanatical nationalism and Hindutva, which says no one has the right to make a mistake, and no one who is not a Hindu has the right to speak about Hinduism at all."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 814 • Replies: 5
No top replies

pueo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:01 pm
interesting article, reminds me of the salmon rushdie affair.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:47 pm
truth
This is very distressing. My experience with Indians and Hinduism is massively contradicted by such events. I'm confident that the views of the Hindutva are not typical in India. Militants of all "minority" and oppressed groups tend to feel that their history and culture are their property, and resent it when foreigners profess expertise in such matters. For all I know Courtright and Doniger have written outrageous interpretations about Hinduism, but it is also very likely they are attacked because their attackers are zealots seeking fault with "eurocentric" scholarship.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:25 pm
Hmmm - yes - there are Hindu zealots - an Oz missionary and his two sons were burned alive in their car a couple of years ago by some such group.- and one thinks of the religious struggles between such zealots and Muslims in India from time to time - not to mention the split between India and Pakistan.

Mind you, I wonder what the reaction of fundamentalist christians would be to read scholarly anthropological and psychoanalytic treatises on their religion? These exist, of course - but I suppose they do not often read them?????

I have a lovely book on world myths - the introduction, by Robert Graves, points out the unconscious racism inherent in not including Jewish and Christian mythology in such a book! This is, I think, the attitude that the Hindu zealots are reacting to - a combination of religion and politics that I find disturbing - but understandable in its context - like the similar journey of radical Islam.

Sigh - I do hope it does not take any firm hold in a stunningly tolerant and diverse country.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
dlowan wrote:

Mind you, I wonder what the reaction of fundamentalist christians would be to read scholarly anthropological and psychoanalytic treatises on their religion? These exist, of course - but I suppose they do not often read them?????

Take a peep at the threads devoted to Gibson's "Passion" in the movies section. They got sort of, well, tetchy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:30 pm
as one does! I will!
0 Replies