New Dolphin Species found in Northern Australia

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 03:34 pm
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6zwq8ez811razb3ho1_400.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6zwq8ez811razb3ho1_400.gif

http://www.pentagonpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/New-Dolphin-Species-Identified-in-Australia.jpg

Quote:
Australia is full of surprises and the latest is the discovery of a completely new species of Dolphin which has been found swimming off the coast of North Australia. The images are of two yet unnamed species of humpback dolphin are shown in the waters off northern Australia.

The two new species have been discovered by marine biologists off the coast of Northern Australia. The species belongs to a type of species which are identified by their hump which is located just below the dorsal fin. However these species are distinct from the other species.

More at link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,150 • Replies: 28
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 06:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
One fish is pretty much like another, no? Unless it's poisonous, which being Australian is not all that unlikely.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 06:44 pm
@roger,
I believe that dolphins, like whales, are not classified as fish. For one thing, they're intelligent as hell. I've played with them at a tourist trap on the Yucatan Peninsula, forget the name of the town now.
roger

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 07:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 07:10 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/new-species-australia-lost-world-queensland_n_4170956.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Scientists Discover 3 New Species In Australia's 'Lost World' (PHOTOS)
The Huffington Post | By Sara Gates
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 07:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanx for that, edgar.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 02:54 am
@Lustig Andrei,
More dolphins! Cool.

And yes, they are bloody mammals, not fish! Da noive!

Not that fish are bad....
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 03:26 am
Fish are largely stupid, though . . .

Fascinatin' stuff . . . so when is some yob going to try to put them in a tank and charge admission to see 'em?
roger

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 08:30 am
@Setanta,
They're hunchbacks, man! Who would pay to see deformities?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 03:19 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

They're hunchbacks, man! Who would pay to see deformities?

You kiddin'? People pay big bucks to go to certain rock concerts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 03:35 pm
@dlowan,
Anybody see the special "Blackfish"?
Apparently there have been tons of unreported or misreported attacks by captive killer whales. HMMMM I wonder whether that's why we call them Killer Whales?
Linkat

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:30 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Umm, dolphins are mammals. Even my 11 year old knows this - when asked a question in school - where do mammals live - she answered on the land and in the water. When the teacher commented no they live on the land, my daughter asked, then what about dolphins? The teacher then had to say, yes you are correct - but most mammals live on land.

They breathe via lungs, are warm blooded, give live birth and milk to their young - thus they are not fish, but a mammal.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 09:32 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I wonder whether that's why we call them Killer Whales?

and what makes that even more interesting is that Orcas are not whales, but a dolphin.

(I've worked on many a school report on water mammals - seems my kids love them....whales, dolphins and even manatees).
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 10:21 am
@Linkat,
my point wasn't about their species but the fact that they've been "marketed" as these lovable bright sea creatures that can do really clever tricks. However, Now that we see , in captivity, they go nuts and frequently attack, and a few times have even killed their keepers,
We should rethink this entire entertainment industry.
Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 10:47 am
@farmerman,
I say we should start our national recovery from the shutdown paralysis by tossing a few of Congress member at a time in a tank with orcas 'til they wise up.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2013 11:49 am
@farmerman,
Yes - I did realize what your point was - I was kinda adding onto an interesting fact - most people do not realize that killer whales are actually dolphins.

I have a good friend whose job is essentially researching whales, trying to protect them and their habitats - a whale expert. She talks at length about how unlike many other animals, dolphins actually have a shorter life span when they perform and live in tanks and so forth (rather than living in the wild). It is actually extremely stressful for them to perform - most likely why they "go crazy".

Just think about it - like other wild animals - you put them in an unnatural environment, force them to perform and you expect them to be happy? Try caging your children and having them perform (well I guess will do that with child actors and see how successful they are as adults on average)...
0 Replies

francescomos

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 02:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
woow! this is fantastic news for mee Very Happy
Lustig you know the name of the species?!
thanks Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 02:52 pm
@francescomos,
Bernie
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 03:08 pm
@francescomos,
It isn't named yet - it is a humpback dolphin - although Bernie would be a good name.

I vote for Bernie.
roger

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 03:32 pm
@francescomos,
Just full of interesting information, isn't he.
0 Replies