What's the chance of Ted Cruz becoming president?

cicerone imposter

Fri 8 Nov, 2013 11:55 pm
@jcboy,
For Lost Jobs/Income, for Bigotry, for Inequality, for Homophobes, and the Destruction of the USA.
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 10 Nov, 2013 12:31 pm
https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/941865_10151794015436275_1420277053_n.jpg
Advocate

Sun 10 Nov, 2013 01:08 pm
@panzade,
I think that Cruz and the right have inserted so many lies and distortions over the years that the public has finally developed an immunity to these. At least I hope so.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 05:11 pm
@JTT,
Your point?
JTT

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:29 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
Firstly, I do not apologize for America as I've repeatedly posted I am my country's greatest critic.

Then you go on with a diatribe apologizing for the US's war crimes and terrorism.
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It saves me time;

Stop being so damn dishonest. It saves you from having to think about uncomfortable things that you really don't want to address, CI.

You repeat the same things over and over and over in your attacks on Israel and yet Israel is such a little piker compared to the US. Why the grand hypocrisy?

Quote:
his message is repeated ad nauseum with only word changes.

This comes from you time after time with no word changes, CI. Mix it up a little, will ya?

"My message" isn't my message. It is facts gathered from many different sources. It's very revealing how no one, that is NO ONE addresses the facts. All you've got are these lame attacks on the messenger.

There's still never been anyone who has posted about the "good things the US has done". Considering the propagandist spiels that the world is regularly harangued with about the great savior of the oppressed, you would think that there's something good the US has done.
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 13 Nov, 2013 08:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Your point?

That you have to ask, Finn, is telling.

There are hundreds or thousands of reasons to point up the vicious nature of US interactions with other countries. One, it helps dispel the widespread but totally false notion that the US is a beneficent/generous/helping country.

Another, it's bloody unseemly for you and Edgar to be arguing about which president is the bigger war criminal.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:10 pm
@JTT,
What it tells is that I think your post was at best obtuse.

I don't know about eddy, but I wasn't arguing anything. I was pointing out that by Obamaphile standards, Nixon "inherited" Vietnam and Cambodia and there fore can't possibly be blamed for what he did with them.
Advocate

Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:50 pm
Looking at the polls, it appears that Christie has it in the bag.

Of course, Christie has to live long enough to run.
Frank Apisa

Fri 15 Nov, 2013 06:16 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Looking at the polls, it appears that Christie has it in the bag.

Of course, Christie has to live long enough to run.

As President Dewey would tell ya...nothing is in the bag.
izzythepush

Fri 15 Nov, 2013 06:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
What about testicles?
Frank Apisa

Fri 15 Nov, 2013 06:46 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What about testicles?

Oh, I forgot about them! Age does that to ya! Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 15 Nov, 2013 06:47 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

For God! For family! For America! Yeah right!

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/6028/v9hg.jpg

No comment on this...I just love it and want to give it another life here.
0 Replies

Advocate

Fri 15 Nov, 2013 11:09 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't know about eddy, but I wasn't arguing anything. I was pointing out that by Obamaphile standards, Nixon "inherited" Vietnam and Cambodia and there fore can't possibly be blamed for what he did with them.

I disagree about blaming Nixon. He stayed in Nam, during which he invaded Cambodia, for five years. We killed over a million people in the area during that time, and went a long way toward destroying the country. At some point, the war became his.

Finally, he left Nam from the roof of our embassy in Nam.
JTT

Sat 16 Nov, 2013 01:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I was pointing out that by Obamaphile standards, Nixon "inherited" Vietnam and Cambodia and there fore can't possibly be blamed for what he did with them.

As Advocate has pointed out, you are woefully ignorant of the history of your own country.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 16 Nov, 2013 07:55 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I disagree about blaming Nixon. He stayed in Nam, during which he invaded Cambodia, for five years. We killed over a million people in the area during that time, and went a long way toward destroying the country. At some point, the war became his.

Finally, he left Nam from the roof of our embassy in Nam.

Johnson stopped the bombing and set the stage for Nixon to wind down the war. Instead, Nixon expanded the war and caused far more destruction than even Johnson.
JTT

Sat 16 Nov, 2013 09:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Johnson stopped the bombing and set the stage for Nixon to wind down the war. Instead, Nixon expanded the war and caused far more destruction than even Johnson.

What possible purpose could this serve, Ed? These presidents, all of them that participated in the massive war crime that was Vietnam and SE Asia were vile, wicked, amoral men.

Quote:
President Lyndon Johnson and the Vietnam War
excerpted from the book
Lying for Empire
How to Commit War Crimes With A Straight Face
by David Model

p135
The ... purpose of the bombing was to defoliate South Vietnam. American troops were not as skilled at fighting guerrilla warfare as the Viet Cong forcing American policymakers to shift the war from jungle warfare to conventional warfare by destroying the jungle. Destroying vegetation also destroyed rice and deprived the enemy of a major source of food. The main herbicide defoliant was called Agent Orange which is highly toxic to humans. Approximately 20 million gallons of herbicides were sprayed in Southeast Asia.
Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky, in Manufacturing Consent, describe:
... The combined ecological, economic, and social consequences of the wartime defoliation operations have been vast and will take several generations to reverse"... there is no way to estimate the human effects of the chemical poison dioxin at levels "300 to 400% greater than the average levels obtaining among exposed groups in North America."
The damage caused in the south included 9000 hamlets, 25 million acres of farmland, 12 million acres of forest, one-and-a-half-million dead cattle, the creation of one million widows, and approximately 800,000 orphans.
Agent Orange is a chemical weapon and clearly qualifies as a weapon of mass destruction. It was also aimed primarily at foliage in the jungle which is clearly a civilian target. Many civilians died or were severely burned by Agent Orange and many American soldiers who had handled the defoliant experienced effects many years later. Therefore, the use of Agent Orange, authorized by President Johnson on March 9, 1965, was a war crime. It should also be noted that this weapon of mass destruction was used in South Vietnam against the people whom the United States were supporting in this war.
Napalm, a sticky substance which disperses over a wide area and ignites, was another chemical used to defoliate the jungles in South Vietnam. Edward Herman, in Beyond Hypocrisy, refers to the effects as follows:
it burns at 800 to 1300 degrees centigrade and may continue to bum for fifteen minutes, causing deep, severe bums with a very high death rate-about half of those wounded by napalm die from the burns. Among those suffering phosphorus bums, about three fourths die ...
p138
The Vietnam War caused massive destruction to the land, factories, and infrastructure of North and South Vietnam. It was also devastating to Cambodia and Laos. The estimated death toll in South Vietnam was over 3 million and in North Vietnam over 30,000. By way of comparison, U.S. casualties, though devastating, were far smaller in number. The number of U.S. troops stationed in Vietnam was 540,000. American deaths numbered 58,152, those seriously wounded, 153,303.
Headquarters for the Viet Cong was suspected of being situated in Cambodia and the Ho Chi Minh trail, which was located in Laos and Cambodia, was used for troop movements and supply routes. The United States, in attempting to destroy these targets, was responsible for the death of another one million people, bringing the total death toll for Indochina to over four million. Tens of millions of people in Indochina were displaced from their homes. People are still suffering the effects of the war as Noam Chomsky points out in Necessary Illusions:
Thousands of Vietnamese still die from the effects of American chemical warfare." He [Amnon Kapeliouk] reports estimates of one-quarter of a million victims in South Vietnam in addition to the thousands killed by unexploded ordinance... Kapeliouk describes the "terrifying" scenes in hospitals in the South with children dying of cancer and hideous birth deformities...
Dr. Le Cao Dai, a Hanoi surgeon, and other doctors observed the effects of Agent Orange and its impact on people and the environment. They concluded that the millions of gallons of Agent Orange that poured down on South Vietnam during the Vietnam War caused liver and other cancers, immune-deficiency diseases, miscarriages, birth defects and persistent malaria. Vietnamese estimates show that 400,000 people have been killed or injured by Agent Orange and it has contributed to the birth defects of 500,000 children. (Robert Dreyfuss, Mother Jones)
Many of the 2.6 million U.S. vets who served in Vietnam have complained about a litany of ailments that have been traced to exposure to Agent Orange. The Department of Veterans Affairs agreed to compensate 270,000 vets registered with the Veteran Affairs Agent Orange Program for respiratory cancers, soft tissue sarcoma, prostate cancer and skin diseases. (Robert Dreyfus, Mother Jones)
The multiplicity of lies and war crimes of a number of presidents that were needed to defend the American sphere of influence in South-East Asia resulted in widespread and massive destruction in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. President Johnson contributed his share.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/American_Empire/Johnson_Vietnam_LFE.html

edgarblythe

Sat 16 Nov, 2013 10:03 pm
@JTT,
I am not giving Johnson a pass. Just saying, Johnson finally began to realize the public did not like the war. When he stopped the bombing, many of us hoped Nixon would seize upon the opportunity to get us out of Vietnam.
JTT

Sat 16 Nov, 2013 10:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Johnson finally began to realize the public did not like the war.

Again, these things have as much to do with a discussion of war crimes as does the color of Hitler's underwear or whether he wore boxers or briefs. There were massive war crimes, almost half a century of vicious vicious terrorist actions, millions killed, tens of millions with their lives ruined, untold suffering that will last for generations from the weapons of mass destruction used by the US against innocents.

You give the whole mess a pass, Ed, just by discussing these men as if they were some kind of ordinary people; they were war criminals of the worst kind.
edgarblythe

Sat 16 Nov, 2013 10:11 pm
@JTT,
That's your perception, not my reality.