Best Big Man Ever?

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
This is one of my favorite sports debate topics. Who is the best Big Man to ever play basketball? I am very fond of a certain few: Hakeem, Wilt, Bill Russell, Bill Walton, and Kareem. In terms of overall skill I'd say Wilt and Hakeem were the best. Rebounding/Defense, without a doubt Bill Russell. Scoring Wilt and Kareem. The "What If" factor, Bill Walton. I can never definitively answer this question...Can any of you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:01 pm
Hakeem's 94 (was it 94) run was the best ever. But Wilt, Kareem and Russell had better careers.

I pretty much agree with all your takes.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:24 pm
Yep 94, while MJ was out playing baseball Rolling Eyes Hakeem and his Dream Shake wowed the league.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:31 pm
That was such an amazing playoff run it almost made me doubt MJ's position at the top of the hill.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:42 pm
i agree with the above, i would add moses malone to that list. tim duncan is pretty good.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:28 pm
Don't know how you would pick one. Chamberlain is the best of them statistically, which is not the whole story of course. Russell was the near consensus choice among the experts in his own time (with a few holding out for Wilt), but a lot of sportswriters and pundits wonder if he would be as effective in today's NBA with so many bigger players--which is perhaps unfair anyway, since you can only expect a player to be the best of his own time.

Walton might have topped them all if it hadn't been for the bad feet.

Hakeem was certainly the best of his time; he won most of his matchups with Shaq, when he was old and Shaq was young.

Speaking of Shaq, no one has mentioned the big fella....not as great a talent or just no one to measure him against (except maybe Yao)?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:37 pm
That series with San Antonio, where he made David Robinson (who was the MVP that year!) look like he was wearing cement shoes, was unbelieeeeeeevable.

Dream is kinda special to everybody in Big Greasy.

Wilt the Stilt, though, best all-time.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:26 pm
If you go just by overall numbers, I think Kareem has it sewed up, but then again, he had the longest career. Wilt was just so much bigger than everybody more than anything else. I don't know if that takes away from his talent or not. He's kind of a special case, like Shaq. Just too big to stop. If he's in there though, then I think Shaq should be too.

Who ended up with the most Championship rings?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:57 am
Russell.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:00 am
I love Dream. Have since Phi Slamma Jamma. (Love Clyde the Glide, too.)

Shaq, pah. He has some physical skills but he's not smart enough, and way too distractable.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:11 am
Bill Russell and Wilt going head to head must have been incredible.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:22 am
agree with all of the above.
for outside shooting ability, i gotta go with ewing -- he was deadly from 18 feet...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:21 pm
One thing Shaq has lacked until recently is a rival. Russell had Wilt, Dream had Patty Pat, Zo', and Robinson. Remember when Dream met up with Shaq in The Finals? Laughing

Btw, if Shaq possesses a skill it would be his agility, speed and power (one hell of a combo). He definitely doesn't have the stroke that Dream and the other guys had.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:22 pm
kickycan wrote:
Bill Russell and Wilt going head to head must have been incredible.

Probably no more than Yao vs. Shaq, at least ESPN would like us to think that. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:24 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
That was such an amazing playoff run it almost made me doubt MJ's position at the top of the hill.

I don't think anything could make me doubt MJ's omnipotentsy. Laughing
0 Replies