Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:09 am
The demise of a crazy lady driver at the Capitol reminds of the incident where a fellow standing in a dark doorway reaching for his wallet is shot not once, not twice, not 4 times, not 8, not 16, not 32, but 41 times; not, I presume, counting near misses

Trouble being, shooting someone is fun. My sons and I frequently go shooting at (degradable) targets placed on a hillside, it's fun. Diff is, for some obscure psychological reason officialdom likes the human target better

Of corse she was s danger to passersby but one might wonder for instance why they didn't simply shoot at her engine or tires

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:32 am
@dalehileman,
It nice that you feel that you can second guess the actions of men who needed to act within seconds and under life and death pressure from your home computer and reached the conclusion that their actions was driven by a wish to kill.

The police do not have superpowers and have no way of knowing they was just dealing with a mentally ill unarmed woman with her baby along with her.

As it was two police officers was harm one by the direct action of the lady using her car as a weapon.

That car could had contained a very large car bomb control by a terrorist looking to kill hundreds and harming either the White house or Congress.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:38 am
@dalehileman,
Yes, different circumstance but these same sort of dynamics underscore the same police over-reaction. What you're referring to is the Amadou Diallo shooting.

Wouldn't shooting out the tires out have made more common sense? Also they had enough fire power to shoot the engine block out (guessing they had 357 magnum). Common sense is not as common in Wash DC as one would hope.
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:48 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
But wouldn't that have made common sense? Common sense is not as common in Wash DC as one would hope.

Another poster that seems willing to second guess the level of force that seems called for in the middle of Washington DC?

A large vehicle who driver try to break through the barriers around the Whitehouse and then Congress and in doing so also shown the willingness to ram police cars.

Yes let just assume that there was not a large car bomb in the vehicle under the control of the driver and play around with trying to disable the car!!!!!!!!

Oh and it is real easy to stop such a vehicle with the firearms the police normally carry by taking our the engine for example!!!!!!!!!!

One word keep coming to my mind IDIOTS

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:56 am
@BillRM,
Still Bill there oughta be a better way to disable. Maybe a bullet that can penetrate a metallic sheet but striking a softer object disintegrates into a disabling but otherwise nonlethal powder

Admittedly a tough prospect but in the day and age when sending rockets to the moon got so easy we quit doing it 43 years ago…..
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:10 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Also they had enough fire power to shoot the engine block out (guessing they had 357 magnum).
I'd guess that 99 times out of 100 the ignition would be first to go. "But," replies Bill, "that one percent will go on to burn down the White House or shoot the President"

Quote:
Common sense is not as common in Wash DC as one would hope.
Alas, amen

Incidentally I wonder if you remember the episode where a slight resemblance to a perp's car so enraged a coterie of irrational constabularies it was only through sheer luck they missed slaughtering couple more innocent ladies. Our most remarkable mem of this incident was how little press attention it entailed, especially in the conservative press, as if it were an everyday occurrence
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:22 pm
@dalehileman,
I also wondered why they dident disable the engine. It seems cops are taught today that they have the right to kill as and when they want. This has been going on for a long time but they used to get into trouble. At the present time most of them dont even lose their jobs. And what time they are put on probation they are usually paid for.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:30 pm
@RABEL222,
Yea Rabel the system is pretty messed up. In the hope I might elicit a novel viewpoint I have therefore fwded a link to this discussion to my No. 2 Son, an erstwhile cop, who however leans to the left as do I, and I'll pass along any pertinent comment
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:33 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Trouble being, shooting someone is fun.

Nonsense.

dalehileman wrote:
Of corse she was s danger to passersby but one might wonder for instance why they didn't simply shoot at her engine or tires

Because she was a probable al-Qa'ida attack.

If I'd been in charge of DC security, Apache helicopters would have riddled her car with 30MM bullets as soon as she began speeding towards the Capitol.
oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:34 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Yes, different circumstance but these same sort of dynamics underscore the same police over-reaction. What you're referring to is the Amadou Diallo shooting.

The Amadou Diallo incident was a case of mistakenly believing someone was drawing a gun when he wasn't.

There was no overreaction in either case.

Ragman wrote:
Wouldn't shooting out the tires out have made more common sense?

No.

Ragman wrote:
(guessing they had 357 magnum)

Not likely that they had revolvers.

They either used pistols or automatic rifles.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:40 pm
@oralloy,
Trouble being, shooting someone is fun.

Quote:
Nonsense.
Oh I don 't know Ora, have you tried it

Quote:
...would have riddled her car with 30MM bullets...
Oh heck yes; how about exploding kind; or best yet a bomb of some sort, the bigger the better
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:00 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I also wondered why they dident disable the engine

Because a car engine is not that easy to disable by using 9 mm or even .223 rifle fire.

It would take heavy rifle fire up to a 50 cal to stop a car fast by hitting the engine block.

Nor is flattening tires going to do must in stopping a vehicle in city streets.

mysteryman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:17 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Trouble being, shooting someone is fun

If you seriously believe this, you are in serious need of mental health treatment and have no business owning any type of firearm.
Shooting someone is NOT fun, and before you ask, yes I have done it.

And do you seriously believe that shooting out tires will stop a moving vehicle?
You have watched too much TV.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:22 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
It would take heavy rifle fire up to a 50 cal to stop a car fast by hitting the engine block.
Considering their typical proximity to the vehicle I've long wondered whether a heavyweight machine gun might improve chances of a chance strike to the ignition but not the driver. However I'd guess under the present state of official mind this kind of weapon might be frequently misused--against, eg, the fella reaching for a hankie

Quote:
Nor is flattening tires going to do must in stopping a vehicle in city streets.
Yea Bill I've often pondered also that very thought, wondering why the typical miscreant in flight is so often stopped by a flat, a point almost deserving a thread of its own
oralloy

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:26 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
oralloy wrote:
...would have riddled her car with 30MM bullets...

Oh heck yes; how about exploding kind;

Actually, I think exploding bullets are standard on the Apache's 30MM gun.

dalehileman wrote:
or best yet a bomb of some sort, the bigger the better

Apaches can also fire Hellfire missiles if necessary. That would also be effective against such a vehicle.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:30 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Shooting someone is NOT fun,
You must understand, Man, that fun can come in many forms, where in this case at least it's a subliminal feeling, a sort of perverted satisfaction

Quote:
…..and before you ask, yes I have done it.
Can you absolutely deny even the slightest sense of accomplishment

https://www.google.ca/#q=perverted+satisfaction+multiple+shootings
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:32 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
...Hellfire missiles if necessary
Again once more Ora you've buttressed my afternoon
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:49 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Yea Bill I've often pondered also that very thought, wondering why the typical miscreant in flight is so often stopped by a flat, a point almost deserving a thread of its own

Over miles at highway speed yes indeed it does disable a vehicle or at least make it hard to control/slow it down where chasing cars can do a pit maneuver or box it in however we are talking about a mile or so that at one end have the Capital building and at the other end the White House and a car with flat tires could do that trip many many times.

Where do you get such expert knowledge that allow you to second guess the men and women who are in charge of protecting our nation capital to the point you are assuming they are acting out of blood lust?
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:54 pm
@oralloy,
I am somewhat surprise that the snipers station on the White House roof did not engage the vehicle with heavy rifle fire however who know what rules of engagements they are under.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 02:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Can you absolutely deny even the slightest sense of accomplishment

Yes, I can.
I felt no satisfaction nor did I feel any sense of accomplishment.
I felt some sadness at taking another persons life, and its something I will always live with.

As for the link you provided,it doesnt prove anything.