More Printer Trouble... Doesn't Look Good...

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:49 am
This just started today... and I have no idea what in the world I've done or where I clicked that started this. It was just fine last night... Sad

Machine is an amd Athlon XP 1800+ with an ECS K7VMM+ (socket A) mainboard, & 256mb RAM. The Printer is an Epson Stylus Color 600. Sort of old, yes, but like I said it worked fine yesterday...

Basically, I can't print anything at all, not even test pages. The error I get is:

Error while spooling to "".
Unable to start the spool Manager

I've tried:

The System File Checker under START/ACC./SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM INFO...

Installing a new driver...

Removing and installing new and old drivers multiple times...

Checked connections at both ends of the printer cable, and checked to see if it was plugged in...

Checked ink cartridges...

No luck at all. No "out of ink" lights are on either. I hope it's not to bad.

Thanks very much, Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,409 • Replies: 5
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:04 am
This sounds like a job for Monger.

If he ever drags his sorry ass out of bed, I'm sure he'll give you the answers you're looking for.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 09:52 am
Find, or download, the installation software for your printer. It is a good idea to visit the printer vendor's website to see if there is an updated driver available for your OS and hardware configuration, anyway. Read and understand the installation/setup instructions. Disconnect the printer from the computer, and power off the printer. Go into Device Manager and remove the printer. Search for, find, and delete any files or folders relating to your printer, other than what you may just have downloaded. Empty your recycle bin. Reboot. Reinstall the printer STRICTLY PER THE VENDOR"S INSTRUCTIONS, particularly as regards when to power on the printer, and when in the installation process to connect the printer to the computer.

If that doesn't work, start shopping for a new printer.

Oh, and after all that installing/uninstalling you've done, whatever else you do, defrag your machine in safemode. Its always a good idea to set a system restore point, or at least perform a registry backup, if not do both, prior to installing new software, too.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:09 am
I suspect harmonic has already correctly covered the driver aspect of this, but yeah like Timber said make sure you have the absolutely latest printer drivers for that printer for your version of Windows.

Which version of Windows you using, harmonic? If I remember correctly (that's pretty rare actually) methinks you're using Win98SE. And which program are you printing from? This is a local printer, rather than a network printer, correct?

You've taken good steps so far, but here are a few more ideas you can try that'll help to isolate the cause...

I'd kick off by trying to print a test page from the printer itself, rather than printing a test page from Windows. Check your Epson manual to find out how to do that. If that doesn't work, there's no point looking at any programs or Windows settings as the cause of the problem.

If you're able to successfully print a test page that way, the next thing I'd try is attempting to print from Windows Notepad.

Also, double click your spooler & see if it starts okay. In your case it's probly called something like Epspmgr4.exe in the c:\windows\system folder.

Check how much free hard disk space you have. If you don't have enough for the printer to spool to, you won't get your print job.

And the spool folder might be missing...click Start > Programs > Epson > SpoolManager, select the printer, click Queue > Setup, and check if the spool directory is valid (hunt around a bit if my steps aren't the correct way to get to that setting).

Your spool folder also may have been corrupted. That's one of the more likely causes, methinks. Your Epson printer manual probly outlines how to make a new folder & then load the spool manager to change the default spool folder.

Your printer cable could also be bad...if you have another one around, try it.

And you can try sending print jobs directly to the printer. That's an option found on one of the properties pagees for your printer, under the control panel. (If you need help with finding that setting lemme know & I'll check into it in Win98).

More from Microsoft: HOW TO: Troubleshoot Printing Problems in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition
0 Replies

vikram bhujbal

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:37 am
I am having same trouble!!!! Same error!! I even tried to select option Print direct to Printer but no luck. I talked to a hardware related feloow he said you need to format hard disk and re install the Windows 98. Will anybody confirm this? My machine is working fine (PII) and only problem is I can't print to my epson Sylus color 600, which is a network printer. My machine detects the printer so no problem with network. No virusescoz having latest virus definations from Norton. How to get rid of this problem.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:51 am
Hmmmmm, formatting the hardrive for a printer problem is like curing a haingnail by cutting both arms and legs off.
Don't do it for this.
Follow Monger's advice.
0 Replies