SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE "SEASONAL" MOVIES

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 04:25 am
I rarely get scared at scary movies (real life is another matter). However, there's a scene in The Haunting (1963 version with Julie Harris and Clare Bloom) that scared me.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 05:04 am
@farmerman,
I only watched the first twenty minutes or so and turned it off.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 05:35 am
@Roberta,
I can easily dispene with reality and put myself into the picture. Im the kinda person that the directors want to reach.

I once listened to Roger Ebert lecture about this "Gift". It allowed him to be particularly suited to catch the goodies (or the baddies) of a movie.

Of course the shark In JAWS was phony. That didn't spoil nything for me.
Now Godzilla , with Raymond Burr. That was a stinkeroo
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 05:42 am
The most terrifying film I ever saw was at an age when an unsophisticated kid was taken by surprise by the size and savagery of King Kong. Nothing in life had prepared me for that. Nobody warned me such films could be made. I had to avert my head, watch with peripheral vision. The kid next to me ran for the door, but I stuck it out.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 01:32 pm
@farmerman,
FM, I was never able to totally "dispense with reality." Even when I was a little Roberta playing with dolls. My doll was always an "it," not a "she."

I went to see Psycho with a bunch of friends. I was the only one who could look at the screen when they found the mother and she turned around. I had to tell them that mommy was a mummy.

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 01:53 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
there's a scene in The Haunting (1963 version with Julie Harris and Clare Bloom) that scared me.

Oh Roberta, you've brought back some scary memories! I remember that film well - my family lived in a big old Victorian house at the time, and I remember being quite nervous about going along the corridor to bed - every little sound made me jump with fear. The film was good in that it didn't have blood and gore, there were no demons popping out of corners, no special effects - just sounds and shadows, and an excellent cast.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 02:21 pm
Frankenstein. At least that's what they call him. I, Frankenstein
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Its FRANKENSTEEEN
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:16 am
@edgarblythe,
It looks quite good but I hesitate that the trailer will represent the entire movie considering the film's makers are responsible for the terrible Underworld series.
vonny

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:41 pm
I like the occasional good horror film in winter - but ...

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/aEw2wGp_460s.jpg
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:05 pm
@vonny,
The point isn't to scare the crap out of our dear larvae anymore. I miss really good evil transforming monsters.
When Chris Sarandon played the vampire in the original "Fright nite' he went into this evil body transformation that included bats , wolves nd another form that would make a kid wet his or her nappies.
I mis those days
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
These days, the trailers contain the only scenes worth seeing in the entire movie.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:46 pm
@Setanta,
there's a cable station on HD that shows "Nuthin but Trailers". When I first tuned in I thought they were going to be talking about RVs
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:48 pm
@farmerman,
Of Course, my all time favorite Christmas movie is Bad Santa, with Billy Bob Thornton and that dirty mouthed midget
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 04:42 pm
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
The Alien

(in no particular order)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 04:47 pm
THE SHINING always grabs me and i could watch it over and over.
Jack and his family are snowed up in that great big hotel for the winter and he begins to crack up. Maybe we'd all crack up too, I think the silence of the place would get to me
vonny

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
The Shining is one of my very favourite horror films. Stephen King has written the sequel to it, Doctor Sleep - I'll buy the book this week, and hope it isn't long before it's made into a film too!
0 Replies

Alex322

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 01:51 pm
Home Alone - New Year
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 08:08 pm
@Alex322,
Saw ALL IS LOST today, the Redford film about this guy who's sailing the Indian Ocean alone and has a terrible few days with his sailboat. It is one of the most intense movies Ive seen ,ever. (If you hang out on the water itll make you think about provisioning your trips more for SURVIVAL than for fun.

We saw it with good wraparound theater sound. Im such a sucker for terror on the seas movies.

Capt Phillips was excellent also, but , since its ending ws well known, no elements of surprise were possible.

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 05:10 am
Our Christmas must-see movie is always 'Its a Wonderful Life" - schmaltz, but lovely Christmassy schmaltz!
0 Replies