Landing gear involvement in airplane crashes

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 02:53 pm
There have been two crashes in the last day or two, one a cessna citation at Santa Monica Airport. That's a jet.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/01/us/california-plane-crash/index.html

In my old neighborhood, sort of, ok, 20 or 30 blocks away, and my bro in law and niece live close. While the neighborhood has resisted jets there since I lived in the area, in this case it wasn't so much close as the landing gear on the runway looks involved - from the last I read somewhere. I haven't looked at the cnn link I gave, maybe they know something new.

Similar with a crash at Fiumicino outside of Rome, a place I also like (not that I'm sure, I need to check it out some more personally) -

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20130929-0

That one was an airbus.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,119 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 03:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Replies to self -

- the jets came after the neighbors were already there, by many years, small, initially low end houses, but not bad either. Lots of interesting houses, including a few concrete block ones, and the Gregory Ain tract in Mar Vista.
- that Santa Monica Airport space was the old Douglas Aircraft land. My uncle used to work there, way back when, which brings up other stories, including that he died of a heart attack after a lot of work on some major plane was finished, not sure of the year, maybe '45. I've a Life Magazine photo of it somewhere. He was a tool and dye guy, somewhere at the top of that ladder. I have his tool box. Or one of his, guessing a personal one.

Interesting man - it was mostly his books that I read when we lived for a while at my aunt's after we moved to California again. Zane Grey, but some thicker stuff. I only remember him personally for showing me how to crank ice cream on back steps in Wichita (or was it Oklahoma City) when I was four.

- Friends and I used to stop at a cafe there, as we lived near it. Not often but sometimes. Good breakfast stuff.
- My ex husband has staged theater performances in the now-theater space there.

I'm not around to understand all the issues, but I can only figure this crash exacerbates them logarithmically.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:57 pm
Oh, and no one seems to associate this -

eh.
0 Replies