Obama Care Glitch

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 05:36 am
Could someone make sense of the following provision in the PPACA.
It states that if an employee is illegible for health insurance through his employer you cannot opt for tax credits if the employer offers affordable insurance. Affordable according to the PPACA would be less than 9.5% of the employees income. Now consider if this employee has his wife and children on his plan, the premiums could jump dramatically, but still it's affordable because to calculate the 9.5% you consider the employees HOUSEHOLD income (MAGI), not the individual salary. This is absurd as obviously if you take the household income to get to the 9.5% it's always going to be affordable.
Is this a huge glitch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 3
No top replies

InsuranceLady

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 11:15 am
@ameneses54,
I think I got what you are trying to say: the employer-based plan for the employee, wife and child(ren) is less than 9.5% of the household income so that is considered affordable under the healthcare law? That is correct, but I do not understand your objection. It may be more than 9.5% of his salary, but if the spouse works as well, they have the money to pay for healthcare. Did I get that right?
glitchgov

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:13 pm
@InsuranceLady,
"It may be more than 9.5% of his salary, but if the spouse works as well, they have the money to pay for healthcare. Did I get that right?" -- NO.

I remember hearing the 9.5% thing... that's the most they are allowed to charge you. Yeah... that would be for premiums only. Oh... but wait, they also want you to pay a HUGE deductible too.

As a family of four from DE, MAGI of 90,000ish... we might 'enjoy' a $1,750 subsidy.

Just for fun, let's do the math...
$270 premium for me and my wife... EACH... $540
$125 premium for my kids... X 2... $250
Total premiums = $790... per year... $9,480

Deductibles = $5,000 EACH... or a family deductible of $10,250

So you're telling me if I pay the first $19,730 of the bill, I should be able to afford that? Oh wait... I forgot to minus the $1,750 off the bill in subsidies... $17,980 total healcare bill for the year. That would bring our month premiums down to $650ish a month... with the same MONSTER deductibles... if we make $90,000. If we make more we won't get hardly any deductible... and if we make over $92,400.. there won't be any subsidy. Our costs will likely be between $18,000 to $20,000 for the year for healthcare. Awesome.

How in the world is that affordable?

Let me give you just a couple of the bills I had last year... the bigger bills:
Student loan repayment = $15,000 (both of ours together)
Rent = $1,200 a month... $14,400 for the year
Taxes = $22,200 for the year
Food and household items average $1,000 a year = $12,000 a year
Car payments and car insurance for both of us = $7,000
Electricity per month $200 average = $2,400
Cell phones $150 a month = $1,800
Cable, internet, home phone $150 a month = $1,800 a year
Just these bills equal = $70,600

That doesn't include other bills like credit card bills (a few hundred a month)... gifts... maintance for house/yard... gas for cars.

Sure... we could cut back and/or lower some of those bills, but to shave off $20,000 to pay for health insurance??? How in the world do we come up with $20,000 savings from the list you see... and again, I could probably come up with another $10,000 in bills from maintance for house, yard, gas through the year. Not to mention... saving any money for college for the kids... retirement.

Obamacare is a nightmare. If you don't think so, please post information that says otherwise. That outta be interesting.
InsuranceLady

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 09:53 am
@glitchgov,
glitchgov wrote:

Obamacare is a nightmare. If you don't think so, please post information that says otherwise. That outta be interesting.
Normally, I am of the mindset to not feed the trolls, but I am making an exception in your case as I cannot stand rich people who bitch about what they do not have/cannot afford. The subsidy is still more help than what you are getting now.
Also, speaking as someone who has all the same bills as yourself and supports her family on $28k per year, without welfare, food stamps, etc, I have this to say about your income "problems:" Poor baby! Looks to me that your 90k income per year with only 70k in bills puts you in the black at 20k per year. Your disposable income is more than many families in this country make. Lucky you have income to put toward college and retirement. I had to make do with scholarships and pay off the loans now; my grandfather was at work the day he died. I have no cares to give for the upper crust of society.
0 Replies