rites or rituals for divorce.

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:13 pm
Hi, I am currently doing a project on rituals/practices/rites for divorce. But the problem is that I do not know what cultures or countries that have rituals/practices/rites/ for divorce. So, would you please tell me the countries or cultures that I it. From what I know, I guess that Christians and Jews have rituals for divorce. I hope that helps. (Also, the rituals must still be practiced today.) Thanks for your help and I really will appreciate it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,023 • Replies: 4
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 03:43 pm
In russia the man must initiate the divorce. If the wife wants a divorce and the husband does not, it's tough cookies, but the other way around is legal. Also, in the provoslavni church (russian orthodox) the man would be considered clean after a divorce, meaning he has committed no sin before the church, however the woman must repent, before she can have good standing in the church again.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:55 am
The cultures that don't believe divorce is necessary are the ones to look at. Most sociologists see availability of divorce as an indicator of gender equality. Catholicism still doesn't "allow" it, so I'm sure that's expanded the definition of annulment. Fully-active Mormons who were married in the temple have less than a 1% divorce rate, and they believe their marriages last after death. Of the 12,000,000 mormons, they need written permission from the president of that 12M church to annul a temple-wedding. Of course, the fact that mormon women are statistically the happiest women in the world blows in the face of sociologists who say that divorce is equative with feminization.

I doubt either church has a formal divorce ceremony, but there's definitely a lot of hoops, so there's gotta' be some ritual to finalize it.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:05 am
are you sure you're spelling mormon correctly?
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:19 pm
Uh, yes, you and I both spelled it right, as in mormon.org is their web page.
0 Replies