Crazy laws

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 03:37 pm
Any peculiar laws in your country or state?.

In Ireland;

It is illegal to be drunk in a pub. true…. apparently …. but … never seen to be executed.

If a Leprechaun calls at your door you must, by law, give him a share of your dinner. And their hungry little feckers.

The Tippling Act 1735 prohibits a publican from pursuing a customer for money owed for any drink given on credit. which explains why you can never get a drink on credit in Ireland.

You can drive around on public roads without ever proving your competency at driving. Come and see for yourself, it's called a Provisional Licence

I'm sure I'll dig up some more, but what about y'all, any crazy laws down your neck of the woods?.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,716 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 03:50 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
You can drive around on public roads without ever proving your competency at driving. Come and see for yourself, it's called a Provisional Licence

Since 2001, Irish people wanting a learner driver pemit (not a "provisional licence" any more) must get a theory test certificate for the car and work vehicle categories before a first learner permit will be granted. Also, since April 2011 new first-time learner permit holders are required to undertake mandatory essential driver training (EDT) of 12 one-hour lessons with an approved driving instructor. Their progress is recorded in a special logbook. The permit lasts 2 years and you cannot apply for a third or subsequent learner permit unless you can provide evidence that you have undergone a driving test in the 2-year period prior to the application (a 2-year learner permit will be granted) or evidence of a forthcoming test date (a 1-year learner permit will be granted). Insurance companies tend to look unkindly on perpetual learners.

contrex

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 03:54 pm
You copied a bunch of myths that has been floating around the web. It is not "illegal to be drunk" in a pub in Ireland, although it is illegal to be drunk and disorderly in any public place including pubs, and is enforced quite often in cases of unruly or violent behaviour. The leprechaun one is nonsense. The Tippling Act was repealed in the 19th century.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 04:04 pm
@contrex,
The big flaw in the law is enforcement or lack off. Learner drivers are only supposed to drive with a qualified driver in the car with them. Trust me this is not enforced. Well not until very recently.
Their meant to display L plates and have a full licence holder with them in the car at all times.

It's only as recent as 2009 that the Gardai finally started to take it seriously.

But still everyday I see plenty of L drivers driving alone.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 04:09 pm
@contrex,
Who said it had to be still on the books and anyway would you believe I was only having a bit of fun.

Remember fun sourpuss.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 10:40 am
I know the difference between fun and a load of old ballocks.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 11:26 am
@contrex,
Really, because there's an undertone of nastiness in your posts that says otherwise.
0 Replies