Anybody up for boycotting Barilla Pasta?

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 06:54 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

chai2 wrote:

ok, fair enough...

What do you want Barilla to do to make this right?

Chai If he wants to make it right perhaps he can make a large donation to a GLBT charity.

I appreciate your answer, thanks.

If he gave a large enough amount, would you start buying the product again? Would you put as much effort into asking your friends and associates to start buying Barilla again....as much effort as you may have put into talking to them about not buying?

Trying to think what sauce I buy....I like a few of Paul Newmans varieties, and part of the proceeds go to charity.
I'll get whatever's on sale basically.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 06:57 pm
If someone is willing to overlook what they see as a dreadful statement just for a few dollars donated to a cause or group/organization, then I need to question how sincere they really were about the boycott in the first place.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 07:22 pm
I get your take.
I'm still not buying that pasta..
Oh, look, me punishing probably a relatively progressive person in Italy in general. I've no idea of his politics outside of this issue. I could guess and maybe would be wrong. But as northern right as I take him, he's still relatively sane for them.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 07:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

JCBoy your behavior reeks of hypocrisy. You live in a state which refuses to recognize your union with your man. Yet, you pay taxes which in turn go to the salaries of the elected officials who repeatedly deny you your rights. I haven't seen any effort on your part to leave the state of Florida permanently. Why not? Are the words of Mr.Barilla that much more offensive and problematic than those spoken (or left unspoken) by your state leaders? If you choose to stay, even with the anti-gay sentiment from your Statehouse then I have to see your anti-Barilla rant as worthless.

We’re only in Florida until our son is out of school for this semester. We’ll be moving to CA before the end of July, that’s our plan. Yes we live in a State that does not recognize our marriage however we can still file Federal income tax jointly and we don’t pay State tax here in Florida.

We’re a couple living together and raising a child. This isn’t 1805 it’s 2013, we are a traditional family.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 07:36 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Equality is not a game.

<nods>
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 07:43 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

jcboy wrote:

chai2 wrote:

ok, fair enough...

What do you want Barilla to do to make this right?

Chai If he wants to make it right perhaps he can make a large donation to a GLBT charity.

I appreciate your answer, thanks.

If he gave a large enough amount, would you start buying the product again? Would you put as much effort into asking your friends and associates to start buying Barilla again....as much effort as you may have put into talking to them about not buying?

Trying to think what sauce I buy....I like a few of Paul Newmans varieties, and part of the proceeds go to charity.
I'll get whatever's on sale basically.

Personally it wouldn’t matter to me either way, it was just a suggestion what he could to do and perhaps others in the community might forget about his silly rant . To me it’s only pasta and there are others out there I can buy and I’d rather support those that support me.

Buitoni Pasta Responds To Barilla's Anti-Gay Comments With LGBT Community Support

Quote:
In wake of the chairman of Barilla Group's anti-gay comments yesterday that sparked international outrage, one pasta brand wants the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community to know that we have their support.

Buitoni USA posted the following image to their official Facebook page:
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 08:09 pm
I do detect differences in dried packaged pasta and have been loud about it in the past. I forget the name of the brand from italy, higher money, that I liked in my local market, remarked about here. It failed as a sales item, gone. Not in the mood for searching for that.

0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 08:51 pm
@IRFRANK,
As every school child knows, there's nothing more serious than macaroni. Mr. Green

Seriously!

So, here's a lame joke! Smile

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2013827/rs_560x415-130927122711-560.barilla-pasta.ls.92713.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:30 pm
re this subject from the Village Voice, including alternate pastas -

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2013/09/gay_barilla_pasta.php
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:33 pm
@jcboy,
Sturgis wrote:
JCBoy your behavior reeks of hypocrisy. You live in a state which refuses to recognize your union with your man. Yet, you pay taxes which in turn go to the salaries of the elected officials who repeatedly deny you your rights. I haven't seen any effort on your part to leave the state of Florida permanently. Why not? Are the words of Mr.Barilla that much more offensive and problematic than those spoken (or left unspoken) by your state leaders? If you choose to stay, even with the anti-gay sentiment from your Statehouse then I have to see your anti-Barilla rant as worthless.
jcboy wrote:
We’re only in Florida until our son is out of school for this semester. We’ll be moving to CA before the end of July, that’s our plan. Yes we live in a State that does not recognize our marriage however we can still file Federal income tax jointly and we don’t pay State tax here in Florida.

We’re a couple living together and raising a child.
This isn’t 1805 it’s 2013, we are a traditional family.
Woud u remain in Florida
if the politicians recognized your marriage ?

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 10:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
R U Kidding? StPete is fine for the playboy years, but it is no place to raise a kid. Our boy JC is growing up.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 11:13 pm
@Sturgis,
Thank you!

Who cares if he doesn't think gays reflect the values he's trying to convey is his advertising? I'm sure the Hell's Angels don't reflect them either. It's his company and he should be able to run it the way he wants. I didn't see that he said anything unpleasant about gays ... He just said he didn't agree with their values.

Why do we expect everyone to like the same things and be/feel the same way? I think I'm going to deliberately go out and buy his pasta just to support independent thinking and values.
jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 05:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Woud u remain in Florida
if the politicians recognized your marriage ?

David

I would not. I’ve been here four years now, the summers last five to six months and they are brutal. I’m over the heat. The last time we went to the beach the water temperature was 85 degrees! Plus Southern Ca has better schools and is a much better area for a kid to grow up in.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 06:50 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Thank you!

Why do we expect everyone to like the same things and be/feel the same way? I think I'm going to deliberately go out and buy his pasta just to support independent thinking and values.

That's what I did yesterday mame.
I know I've still got some in my cupboard, but bought another box in absolute definance of this silly boycott. I like Barilla, I like it more than other brands I've tried in the past, I don't think anyone acted in a homophobic way and I think this is a matter of either/or some people being over sensitive and/or being led around by the media.

Athough I thanked jcboy for his answer, that was in respect that someone finally had the balls to answer a simple question.

Personally, I think it's a sham, a shame, a pity AND a game where the thinking is that throwing money at the offended party "might" make it all right.

Again, just personally, I'm of the opinion that if someone makes a mistake or offends me, and gives an apology, that's what I'm going to base my moving on by.

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 07:41 am
@wmwcjr,
Now, that was funny.😄
jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 08:44 am
Never piss off a bunch of bitchy queens they can be pretty vindictive especially in this town. St. Pete has the largest Gay Pride festival in all of Florida, its free to go but it cost over a half a million dollars for the one day event. Most of the restaurants will hold fund raisers to pay for the event, like donating a certain amount of your dinner bill to Pride. Which is a pretty good deal for them because the men in this town support the restaurants that support them.

Well there was this one restaurant that was asked by a Pride board member if he would hold a hurricane party in his bar, Pride would supply the hurricane glasses, you would order a hurricane for 8 bucks, got to keep the glass, 4.00 went to pride and 4.00 to the bar owner for every hurricane sold. He turned them down, it was all over town within 24 hours and people stopped going. About a week later he posted a public apology on his facebook page and a few started returning to his restaurant but not most. I believe he lasted about 4 months before he closed his doors.
Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 08:56 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Personally, I think it's a sham, a shame, a pity AND a game where the thinking is that throwing money at the offended party "might" make it all right.

Yes. Also, as a connaisseur of chuzpah, I especially appreciated the twist of manufacturing a scandal, then chiding the company's CEO because the scandal shows he is tone-deaf and insensitive. Genius! It's almost as skillful as killing your parents, then asking the jury for mercy because you're an orphan.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 09:06 am
@jcboy,
Sound more like a blackmailing scheme then anything else if a legal blackmailing scheme.

Similar to the 1950s black list where if you do support our group and do not ban from TV and the movies who we tell you to ban we will have our membership boycott your firm.

Bet even in St. Pete where would had been far more people outrageous over this type of blackmailing then those who would support it to keep that restaurant in business if the owner had gone to the public and had ask for support instead of trying to win back the gay blackmailing community.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 10:51 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Never piss off a bunch of bitchy queens they can be pretty vindictive especially in this town. St. Pete has the largest Gay Pride festival in all of Florida, its free to go but it cost over a half a million dollars for the one day event. Most of the restaurants will hold fund raisers to pay for the event, like donating a certain amount of your dinner bill to Pride. Which is a pretty good deal for them because the men in this town support the restaurants that support them.

Well there was this one restaurant that was asked by a Pride board member if he would hold a hurricane party in his bar, Pride would supply the hurricane glasses, you would order a hurricane for 8 bucks, got to keep the glass, 4.00 went to pride and 4.00 to the bar owner for every hurricane sold. He turned them down, it was all over town within 24 hours and people stopped going. About a week later he posted a public apology on his facebook page and a few started returning to his restaurant but not most. I believe he lasted about 4 months before he closed his doors.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 10:55 am
@jcboy,
That really offends me. Why should he be so penalized because he didn't "sign on" to the current fad? Bullshit. I really think that's disgusting. Do the st. Pete's gays not support individual rights? If you don't say YES, then you're saying NO? There couldn't be other reasons?

And does everyone have to accept and support gays (single parents, Muslims, etc)? Don't we have the right to not buy girl guide cookies, for st. Pete's sake without being dunned out of business and town??

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.39 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:28:00