Anybody up for boycotting Barilla Pasta?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:00 pm
@chai2,
I think it comes from the same place that had D's unwilling to socialize with R's and vis versa....we talk a lot about diversity but at the end if the day we demand that everyone be like us, and we are perfectly ok with bulling an attempt to get there. we are unwilling to associate with companies that dont sign on to our opinions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:06 pm
@chai2,
What is happening with us, Chai? We're, like, agreeing with each other! Are you sure you're well? Smile
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:09 pm
This really is a tempest in a teapot.

If you want to boycott Barilla, go ahead. You don't have to purchase the brand anymore than gays do.

Personally I think it's an over-reaction but I see no point of trying to convince you that it is; particularly when I know the effort would be pointless, and unfruitful.

What's interesting, to me, is that the all hoopla over gaffes, percieved offensive comments, and actual affronts seems to be contained solely within communication media.

As has been pointed out, the Great Chik-filet Boycott did nothing to hurt the company. Denny's which, arguably, was actually guilty of an offense is still operating, and while their sales were down in the first quarter of 2013, this was the first drop in two years and certainly can't be the effect of a boycott.

I don't see the Barilla boycott having much traction, but even it grow is popularity, the chances of it affecting the company economically are just about nil.

Surely the people who "organize" these boycotts realize the success rate is pretty low and so why do they do it? Getting their cause, and perhaps an individual leader, into the public eye and discussion is my guess.

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:14 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

What is happening with us, Chai? We're, like, agreeing with each other! Are you sure you're well? Smile

Shocked Laughing

Believe me Thomas, I've been thinking the same thing. Cool
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:19 pm
Looking for something to boycott?? This should be a candidate:

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2013-09-28/qatar’s-slave-trade-death-toll

That is, the 2022 world cup this stuff is being done for...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:21 pm
@Thomas,
What offended me was the tenor of his comment - which I take as both off the cuff and what Guido Barilla thinks:
quoting the latest article I read, When asked whether the world's largest pasta producer would feature gay couples in its advertisements, Guido Barilla said, "I would never do [a commercial] with a homosexual couple, not for lack of respect but because we don't agree with them," according to a Reuters translation. "Ours is a classic family where the woman plays a fundamental role. … If [gays] don't like it, they can go eat another brand."

http://www.advocate.com/business/2013/09/27/guido-barilla-puts-his-apology-video-time

You're welcome to think my not buying Barilla anymore is overreaction. No, I'm not voting people down who disagree with me and others doing this. Meantime, I'm fine with my decision.

I'm not telling my grocer - plenty of others that frequent my store like the product and will buy it, whether or not they've even heard of this bruhaha, but there will be one box left on the shelf by me.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

What's interesting, to me, is that the all hoopla over gaffes, percieved offensive comments, and actual affronts seems to be contained solely within communication media.

Surely the people who "organize" these boycotts realize the success rate is pretty low and so why do they do it? Getting their cause, and perhaps an individual leader, into the public eye and discussion is my guess.

Re the first point, that's the first thing I thought....******* media....must be a slow news day....let's rile up the gays.

Why do we listen to these people? They're leading us around like a bunch of sheep.

re the 2nd point, of course that's what it's all about. That's obvious.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:33 pm
we have an Olympia businessman running for city council who does not agree that Olympia should have a "low barrier" aka few standards of behaviour homeless shelter. his business was vandalized 5 times in two weeks by people who do not agree with him. that is the same kind of intolerance that we see directed against Barilla. Barilla has never done anything ti hurt gays, but gay rights advocates feel very justified in trying to hurt Barilla, and bully Barilla. Who is more wrong here?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:58 pm
He said if Gays had a problem with it they could eat another brand of pasta. Which is okay with me. One pasta brand tastes pretty much like another, it’s all about the sauce!

Barilla Earns Gay Boycott, Learns Taking Sides Is Bad For Business

Quote:
The LGBT community has tremendous purchasing power – roughly 1. $800 billion annually, according to some estimates. Same-sex partnered households make 16% more shopping trips than heterosexual households and average annual spending on consumer packaged goods is 25% higher than the average U.S. household, according to Nielsen.
These households are throwing out their Barilla and boycotting the brand.
Boycotts can be very effective. When Target contributed $150,000 to a conservative Republican gubernatorial candidate that opposed same-sex marriage, gay rights groups and moveon.org where quick to announce a boycott. LGBT groups cut Target no slack for extending benefits to same-sex partners and withheld their sizeable purchasing power from what had been a favored store.

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:01 pm
@jcboy,
Barilla makes sauce as well.

Even you don't have an answer to my simple, yet oft repeated question?

I'm frankly surprised.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I don't see the Barilla boycott having much traction, but even it grow is popularity, the chances of it affecting the company economically are just about nil.
Barilla is in the middle of a massive effort to increase USA sales, having gone from 15% to 25% of the USA pasta market in ten years and is planning on launching a 5o store pasta chain restaurant concept in the coming months, any negative publicity is unwelcome now. on the other hand what was advertised as negative publicity for Chick-Fil-A turned out to be positive, again. As someone pointed out in that thread CFA has started several waves of consternation over their corporate culture/values, and they ride each one to financial success.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Macaroni, seriously? Right

Sorry if I disrupted your focus.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:05 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
One pasta brand tastes pretty much like another

only for those who have no palate. you have now outed yourself.
jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ok, fair enough...

What do you want Barilla to do to make this right?

Chai If he wants to make it right perhaps he can make a large donation to a GLBT charity. I found if funny how these apologies always come afterwards, looking suspiciously like damage control. Equality is not a game. It is LIFE to many people and their families like mine. I’ve never bought their sauce, before I learned to make my own I always bought Ragu.

Bertolli is another good brand of pasta on the market, I have it on my shopping list. Smile
jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 02:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

you have now outed yourself.

Just now? boy you are slow, I've been out for years.
Siberian

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:16 pm
Great news! Barrila never been known in Russia, but all our unternet is full of these great news about this Company. Most people are happy that there still are normal people who builds their lives on traditional family values. I bet I'll see Barrilla products on the shelves in our stores! So you can boycott it as long as you want. THere's huge Russian market welcoming Barrilla!!!
roger

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 03:50 pm
@jcboy,
Apologies might look like damage control, but donations look very much like extortion.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 04:01 pm
@Siberian,
Quote:
Great news! Barrila never been known in Russia, but all our unternet is full of these great news about this Company. Most people are happy that there still are normal people who builds their lives on traditional family values

Yes in Russian you could end up in prison for running as adv showing a happy gay family.

One end of the extremes or the other end.....Neither is very pretty in my opinion.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 04:50 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

you have now outed yourself.

Just now? boy you are slow, I've been out for years.

and Frank says I cant do humor.......
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 06:50 pm
As a 100% queer, I have to say that I have no intention of boycotting Barilla. Why would I? Mr.Barilla has stated his views, including at the start that he has a 'respect' for homosexuals. He just doesn't plan on going with same gender couples in his ads. Has it been asked, how he is with single parent situations where a child came into being without benefit of marriage?

He can have his ads done in whatever way he chooses. He hasn't put out an ad saying 'our pasta is for heterosexual men and women. Gays need not try it as they are not worthy of our great and delicious products.' If he said that (or similar regarding any other group) then I'd have a major issue and would be less than comfortable buying his products.

JCBoy your behavior reeks of hypocrisy. You live in a state which refuses to recognize your union with your man. Yet, you pay taxes which in turn go to the salaries of the elected officials who repeatedly deny you your rights. I haven't seen any effort on your part to leave the state of Florida permanently. Why not? Are the words of Mr.Barilla that much more offensive and problematic than those spoken (or left unspoken) by your state leaders? If you choose to stay, even with the anti-gay sentiment from your Statehouse then I have to see your anti-Barilla rant as worthless.

As stated, as a queer I am not thrilled by Barilla's comments neither though am I greatly offended. He stated a view and it was far less offensive than the words sputtering out of many of our national leaders (both political and other) and many of the so called A-list actors and the bowed to like saints 'singers'.

I shall continue to purchase Barilla pasta and sauce. I like the taste texture and price. Far better than Ronzoni or Buitoni and their sauces are tastier (to me) than Ragu or several other brands. The texture of Barilla, if I must have a boxed or bagged (their quick cook tortellini is quite nice), works well for me and is easy to swallow. Some brands have a tendency to break apart, causing me to choke some and having to then cough a bit to dislodge the rogue bits. Barilla has never done that to me, even when I've allowed it to cook far too long or held it overnight and reheated. I have enough trouble finding foods I can manage these days, I have no intent of giving up one of the few things which I can handle, just because some people think a man saying he isn't planning on placing same gender couples in his advertisements is the greatest disaster and hate-mongering since the grape boycott of yesteryear, which had much better teeth as to a cause.

Most companies should be boycotted. If the top honcho is not making bigoted remarks odds are that they have an employee or two that is and they as owner hired and pay these people so we really should boycott. Anything less reeks of hypocrisy. Of course this means we cant eat or drink anything or rent or buy anything since it will always come down to a somebody somewhere who is not in 100% approval of some group, be it sexuality, race, religion, political stance or something else.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 05:32:19