Anybody up for boycotting Barilla Pasta?

chai2

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 02:11 pm
@Lordyaswas,
<sniff>

I.....I'm feeling a little better now thanks....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 02:15 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I really don't understand all this thumbing business. Tell me, did A2K have all that during the previous fun, with Gus, Kicky and the old gang?

What happens with all the thumb points? Does a member get some sort of Christmas bonus if scores over fifty are achieved?

You know, I actually have no idea.

It hasn't been until the last few weeks that I even paid any attention.

There were a few threads that some people where just getting so nutsy coo coo over someone thumbing up/down that I started looking at the Upson Downs.

all pretty retarded if you ask me.

Anyway, I liked the spaghetti plantations.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 02:20 pm
@chai2,
I agree.

I visualise the usual suspects roaming the boards, minusing everyone of a different political persuasion and getting mildly aroused whilst doing so.

Maybe we'll just let them get on with it, eh?

Now, I've just been out there planting my vermicelli for next spring. Have you got yours in yet?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 08:43 pm
Quote:
Barilla pasta boss meets Italian gays to simmer down boycott

Guido Barilla, who said 'We will never have gay people in our ads', meets the main Italian LGBT associations and promises some pro-gay policies
07 October 2013
By DanieleGuido Gessa

Owner of the Barilla pasta company Guido Barilla has met the Italian LGBT associations this morning (7 October) in Bologna, northern Italy. The man who made the headlines for his anti-gay remarks apologized once again to the LGBT community and proposed ‘some pro-gay policies in the future’. His remark the firm would never feature gay people in its advertising led to boycotts which are hitting particularly hard in the US where Barilla is a top brand.

Barilla met Arcigay, Arcilesbica, Famiglie Arcobaleno, Gaynet and Equality Italia associations at the Regione Emilia-Romagna headquarters, where former Arcigay president and now regional councillor Franco Grillini has his office.

Grillini told Gay Star News: ‘We spoke about the company’s policies and about the impact on the LGBT community worldwide. ‘Mr Barilla apologized once again and told us they are really worried for the boycotting in North America. The news had a big impact in the United States and they went to the US last week to reinforce their presence in that country.’

According to Grillini, ‘we could say Barilla is going to do a pro-gay campaign in the future, but it’s not sure at the moment. ‘We have to meet again and to discuss their new ads. They’ll probably do something for our community, they have understood that LGBTs have a strong power. ‘And it’s quite surprising: now LGBT people can interfere in brand policies as well.’

Guido Barilla provoked a global boycotting when, interviewed in a radio program, said ‘We will never have gay people in our adverts’ and ‘we stand for the traditional family’. Barilla added: ‘If gay people do not like it, then they can always go eat someone else’s pasta.’

Grillini concluded: ‘We are very happy for what Mr Barilla has said today. But we can not say that peace has come. We are still waiting for real pro-gay policies, even though today’s really serious talks are a very good starting point.’ -

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/barilla-pasta-boss-meets-italian-gays-simmer-down-boycott071013#sthash.SYcpjRJK.dpuf
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 02:10 pm
currently Barilla products are on bogo or 10 for a dollar here in Raleigh I'm happy to report.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 02:32 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
if you google "barilla bogo" you would will see that this has been a thing for at least a year.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 02:45 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
It's also part of a promotion of Italian food that goes on every year around Columbus Day. Ronzoni is also on sale at other supermarkets around here.

I don't think the Barilla sale is connected to the alleged boycott, it's on sale fairly regularly. Although putting that brand on sale isn't a bad way to try to revive sales of their products. Recently there was a voluntary recall of Chobani Greek yogurt, which did get some negative publicity for that company. I noticed that, almost immediately, this was followed by a hefty sale on Chobani products. It's a good way to woo back consumers.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:44 pm
No other pasta and "spaghetti sauce" products are on sale in the supermarkets around here. Not that much anyway
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 06:10 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Maybe it's a regional thing.

Every year around here, the week of Columbus Day is promoted as a celebration of all things Italian, so all the major supermarkets feature sale items as part of an Italian Food Festival. That includes pastas, sauces, canned tomatoes, olive oil, some cuts of meat, etc. I have no idea how they determine which brands of those items they put on sale, and it may vary from supermarket to supermarket, but they all hype Italian food items.

At other times of the year, some brand of pasta or pasta sauce is generally on sale any given week. Sometimes it's Barilla, sometimes it's one of the other brands. So I don't see a sale on Barilla as anything unusual.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 06:26 pm
@firefly,
I am still waiting for someone to tell me that sales have been effected, what people claim they will do and what they do are not always the same thing. for instance I was reading a restaurant industry mag that claimed that many manufacturers switched to high priced sugar because polling indicated that people wanted it and would pay a premium for it, but once done they tended to actually buy on price so those who made the switch took it in the shorts on profits. now manufacturers are quietly dropping sugar going back to HFCS. the Chick-fil-a story has already been told, in the last year they have been one of tge ten fastest growing chains in sales, their legendary revenue per store numbers have gotten even better.

Show me that this alleged boycott has effected sales AT. ALL.
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 07:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Whether it has affected sales really couldn't be determined yet. It would take considerably more time to ferret that out. This is a major company, doing business on an international scale, and selling a variety of products under their brand name. To what extent, if any, this boycott has had any effect on their over-all sales world-wide would require analyzing multiple variables over a considerable period of time.

But it has already achieved a more important goal--it got people to pay attention to the gay community, as a consumer group. And it got the Barilla CEO to meet with representatives of LGBT groups in Italy and to listen to what they had to say. Whether this results in a change in Barilla's marketing practices, or the type of "family" they promote in their ads, remains to be seen. But the Italian LGBT community demanded, and got, more respectful treatment from Barilla than his initially dismissive comments had indicated. They presented themselves as a force to be reckoned with, and that alone is a major accomplishment.

I think it also has to be considered that this whole issue is probably more important in Italy than it is in the U.S. because the LGBT community there has gained even fewer legal protections, and legal rights and privileges, than they have here, so the seeking of influential supporters, like Barilla, to help change Italian attitudes, is even more important there. And, as a practical matter, the Italians consume more pasta, more regularly, than we do here, and a boycott of Barilla in Italy might likely have a more dramatic impact there.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 08:13 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
They have been on sale here for about two weeks now, in this town the shelves are full Barilla and everyone is buying a different brand regardless of their sales. I’ve seen them for ten for ten dollars, I wonder what the profit margin is at the reduced price?
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 09:17 pm
@jcboy,
There is no particular discounting of Barilla products going on around here at all. And people are still buying Barilla, judging by what I see in shopping carts and at the checkout line.

The plain varieties of both Barilla and Ronzoni pasta have been on sale 10 for $10 for the past two weeks. But the Barilla lasagna pasta sale price is $2, and the Barilla tortellini is on sale for $2.99, and next week, since the Columbus Day Italian/International food promotion will be over, all the Barilla products will probably be back at their regular prices until the next periodic sale.

Quite honestly, just from my casual observation in the supermarket, I can see no impact on Barilla purchasing at all, and the sale prices of Barilla do not differ significantly from sale prices of other comparable brands.

Offhand, I'd think more people are fussier about the brand of pasta sauce than they are about the brand of pasta they buy--there are noticeable taste differences between the different brands of sauces. Someone who really prefers the taste of Barilla sauce is likely to keep buying their sauce.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 09:58 pm
I eat Dreamfields because of my diabetes so I wouldn't buy it, but now I wouldn't buy it anyway. I used to like , for the not real delivery stuff, Papa John's pretty well and I don't buy that anymore. The franchise owner for Five Guys in this area started bitching and cutting people's hours over ACA and I stopped going there even though their cajun fires are like heroin. I don't shop at Wal Mart either. It's sometimes hard to put your money where your mouth is and seems I'm sure nit picking to some, but I don't care, I think I'm doing the right thing.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 10:49 pm
Been buying Barilla, plan to continue doing so. Price and digestion factor both work for me. Barilla tends to be sold at a lower (slightly) price than the other leading brands and I find most of the upstart brands are of questionable integrity as to their quality.
I suppose making my own pasta would be a good method however I prefer the ease of the box and besides, not sure I'd know quite how to make the gemelli pasta shape which I can only get from Barilla and I absolutely must have. Sauces stick to it nicely and I like it's solid construction.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:15 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
I'm sure nit picking to some, but I don't care, I think I'm doing the right thing.

whatever, but I cant deal with so many variables, my life is too complicated and too busy already without adding to the slog factor. I have two, quality/taste and price.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:04 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
They have been on sale here for about two weeks now, in this town the shelves are full Barilla and everyone is buying a different brand regardless of their sales. I’ve seen them for ten for ten dollars, I wonder what the profit margin is at the reduced price?
Do u accept as friends
people who have different opinions than u do ?

David
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 08:18 am
@hawkeye10,
doing the right thing is often more difficult and inconvenient, I'll give you that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 11:55 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
doing the right thing is often more difficult and inconvenient, I'll give you that.
From my observation of human nature,
in my opinion, it comes from spite.

The NRA pointed out that Sara Lee cakes has donated money to subvert
the Bill of Rights, to curtail our personal freedom of self defense.
It suggested that members not be complicit in promoting authoritarianism.
Those values are dear to my heart.
Tho it is true that I don t want my $$ to end up being applied to that,
I did not co-operate in the suggested boycott. My reasoning was that
the mfgr wud not notice my boycotting; nothing good wud come of it.
I was insufficiently spiteful to execute my part of the boycott.

I can't boycott Barillo Pasta inasmuch as I was not its customer,
so I cant stop buying that product.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 01:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
in a sense you are correct, people are generally lazy, so there needs to be motivation to overcome that lazyness. emotional attachment, either love or hate, works best.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:28:56