Large Wasp Nest - is it dangerous?

Linkat

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:08 am
@roger,
Yeah its crossed my mind - but we aren't that much in the country - now granted there are farms and horse farms in our fair town, but it is still considered the burbs - who would have thought we would have so much nature crap going on.

You would think with our successful camp trips (well maybe not the first where we were caught in the middle of lake with no shelter within site - in a thunder storm and ended up going to hotel afterwards) - that we would just love nature.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:08 am
@IRFRANK,
Well we have been here a full year already.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:13 am
@saab,
Oh no we have a mouse - he some how got into the dogs toothpaste while we were on vacation and then ate up my kid's pencil case. He does know to stay in the cellar though - I think he is afraid of the dog. When we first moved here the dog actually killed one mouse'- squashed him like a grape. Our next mission here is to kill the mouse - we can't wait to go get those mouse traps and snap his neck.

You would never know but I had a pet mouse as a child.

We do have spiders up the ying yand and wrote a post when we first moved how the yeck to get rid of them - there are so many. We haven't been very successful to date. But at least the kids now kill them as well instead of just screaming when they see them.
Lordyaswas

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 06:57 am
@Linkat,
Poor little thing!

A humane trap is what you need.
Smear the inside of the lid (far end) with peanut butter and set it as in the pic.
Mr Mouse sniffs, enters and his weight tips up the trap, snapping the thing closed.
Pick up trap in morning, go for a walk with the dog and release mousey as far away as possible.
It will take him at least a day to return.

Are these available in the US of A?

https://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/images/mouse/trap-ease.jpg
vonny

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:10 am
@Linkat,
Oh don't kill the mouse or spiders, please. They have as much right to life as we do. We've had field mice on two occasions, but used a humane mouse trap to catch them, then taken them as far away as possible before releasing them. As for spiders - well, they are harmless and do a lot of good - it's easy to catch them in your hand and put them out of doors.
Linkat

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:16 am
@Lordyaswas,
My mom had one and it didn't work - the only one that worked was the one that snaps at them. The traditional mouse trap.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:20 am
@vonny,
They have every right to freedom and life I do, as long as they do so outside my house. We have tons of woods behind us - they are free to live there in the woods without us trying to stomp on them. Once they enter our house they break the rules and with that comes death.

The dog killed one - now if he can't catch the one in the cellar we will take manners into our own hands (or trap for that matter). There are trillions of those little critters it ain't like killing one or two is going break the food chain or something like that.

And those wasps are going get it too.
tsarstepan

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:34 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Are these available in the US of A?

https://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/images/mouse/trap-ease.jpg

Yes we do have them here and they do work. This humane option seconded.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:58 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

They have every right to freedom and life I do, as long as they do so outside my house. We have tons of woods behind us - they are free to live there in the woods without us trying to stomp on them. Once they enter our house they break the rules and with that comes death.....

Ah, but have you posted the rules in a prominent position?

Don't forget to also post the rules in braille, as some of those mice might be blind.

And tail-less.
Linkat

Tue 10 Sep, 2013 09:33 am
@Lordyaswas,
Oh I make it loud and clear - seeing those creatures cannot read I remind them frequently as I squish the very life out of them.

I mean don't we have an agreement like with the birds and squirrels about getting out of the way of the cars...

seinfeld -

JERRY: You ran over some pigeons? How many?

GEORGE: What ever they had. Miranda thinks I'm a butcher but i-i-it's not my fault is it? Don't we have a deal with the pigeons?

JERRY: Course we have a deal. They get out of the way of our cars, we look the other way on the statue defecation.

GEORGE: Right! And these pigeons broke the deal. I will not accept the blame for this!

tsarstepan

Tue 13 Feb, 2018 08:53 am
@Linkat,
https://i.imgur.com/U06HHE6.jpg
Adam Ellis
tsarstepan

Tue 28 Apr, 2020 02:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Crocheted Nest Has Kept Hornets Away for Years
https://imgur.com/yiQKS4D.jpg
0 Replies

roger