Oz Election Thread #6 - Abbott's LNP

hingehead

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 09:24 pm
http://i.guim.co.uk/media/w-860/h--/q-95/a4e19c83c78e78e59d34e9d484ccaff02bbad2a7/0_0_2070_3209/1290.jpg
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 09:40 pm
http://i57.tinypic.com/a04g3.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 02:57 pm
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10996760_399101453592429_2579639313890747641_n.jpg?oh=3499aac302ab3b9234cee8a63a76332c&oe=5580C7AA
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 03:14 pm
I'm a regular reader of http://www.campusmorningmail.com.au and this story struck me - for the bit I've bolded to highlight my WTF?

Quote:
In a new blow to the credibility of the for-profit training industry Careers Australia chief Patrick McKendry has stepped aside from his post as deputy chair of the Commonwealth Government’s Vocational Education and Training Board. Training Minister Simon Birmingham’s office confirmed Mr McKendry’s move to CMM late Friday. It followed Careers Australia being named in an ABC TV report on recruiters for private VET companies using aggressive sale tactics to enrol disadvantaged people in courses. With 14 000 students Careers Australia is a major training provider and claims to be “Australia’s leading private provider of vocational education and training.”
Mr McKendry is a very senior member of the training community. He chaired Technical and Vocational Education and Training Australia, a company owned by state and federal ministers, which oversaw and licensed training materials between 2006 and 2009. He was also chair of the National Quality Council in those years. Mr McKendry has additionally held a range of training governance appointments. Last August Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane appointed him deputy chair of the Vocational Education and Training Board.
This is a setback for Senator Birmingham’s campaign to repair the reputation of the for-profit industry, which has taken a hammering from allegations of sharp practise in student recruitment and poor-quality courses.
Coincidentally, NSW TAFE management is running a TV campaign featuring its employers saying its courses are “a badge of quality.”

How can state and federal ministers have an interest in a company that does work for governments?

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 04:09 am
@hingehead,
Good question.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 04:47 pm
I was telling Olgs on facebook that the COALition will likely hold NSW - and Abbott has had a bounce in the polls (not sure what that's about), but...

I saw Luke Foley (can't believe I remembered his name) promise to place a moratorium on fracking if the ALP get in - that could be a vote winner - especially in traditional Nationals seats.

Wouldn't that be an awesome knock out of a pillar holding up Abbott? I still think Mike Baird will hold NSW - and I have no enmity toward him - and the NSW ALP hasn't really been in exile long enough for the Obeid atrocities. - But I would get some major schadenfreude at Abbott's situation if Baird lost.
Wilso

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 05:30 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I was telling Olgs on facebook that the COALition will likely hold NSW - and Abbott has had a bounce in the polls (not sure what that's about), but...

I saw Luke Foley (can't believe I remembered his name) promise to place a moratorium on fracking if the ALP get in - that could be a vote winner - especially in traditional Nationals seats.

Wouldn't that be an awesome knock out of a pillar holding up Abbott? I still think Mike Baird will hold NSW - and I have no enmity toward him - and the NSW ALP hasn't really been in exile long enough for the Obeid atrocities. - But I would get some major schadenfreude at Abbott's situation if Baird lost.

I don't think Baird will lose either, but I believe it will be a lot closer than any polls predict. Most polling hasn't kept pace with social change. That's why they got it so wrong in Queensland. They're still landline only. There's so many people, particularly gen Y, who don't even have a landline phone any more. It greatly limits the available demographic, and it's why Abbott's numbers are far worse than most polls will show.
hingehead

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 03:43 pm
@Wilso,
I've often thought and mentioned the landline thing - I hope they have some corrective algorithm for it, or they're stupid.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/blogs/hotlineoncall/2013/06/researchers-warn-of-bias-in-landline-only-phone-polls-18
hingehead

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 03:46 pm
@hingehead,
Looks like maybe Oz pollsters do pass magic spells over the data

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/09/25/crikey-clarifier-how-much-faith-should-we-put-in-polling/
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 06:49 pm
Another reason the green vote will increase - the majors owned by the big end of town.

Government, Labor block calls for investigation into Adani coal development

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/mining-and-resources/government-labor-block-calls-for-investigation-into-adani-coal-development-20150302-13t0gx.html#ixzz3TNDs41eS
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 06:52 pm
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11052426_10153159393539913_1759762639797277056_n.jpg?oh=d366e362a2f88a76312720f8b766b913&oe=557E9225
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:14 am
http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/03/04/the-lie-that-puts-you-at-risk-as-abbott-wraps-himself-in-the-flag/

The lie that puts you at risk as Abbott wraps himself in the flag
http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/abbottmh17.png
Australia’s return to Iraq will make us less safe, and is based on a lie. Again.

There aren’t enough flags in the country to cover the dangerous stupidity of Tony Abbott’s decision to send Australian soldiers back to Iraq. And like our last trip to Iraq, it’s based on a lie.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 04:56 pm
Sanitary Pads 'A Fire Hazard': The Realities Of Life For Mothers And Children On Nauru
By Pamela Curr and Brigid Arthur

Source: https://newmatilda.com/2015/03/08/sanitary-pads-%E2%80%98-fire-hazard%E2%80%99-realities-life-mothers-and-children-nauru

While the government shoots the messenger over the Forgotten Children report, the abuse continues on Nauru, write Pamela Curr and Sister Brigid Arthur.

Last month, the Forgotten Children report presented evidence in forensic detail, showing a policy in use by both government and opposition was causing psychological and medical harm to a group of children.

Medical and psychological experts who interviewed and examined children were able to estimate that mental illness rates in this group ran at higher levels than a comparable group of Australian children. The cause was indisputably laid at the door of a policy which condemned these children and their parents to mandatory detention with no known end date.

Ian Macdonald, the leader of the Senate estimates session looking at the document, admitted he had not read it when time came to debate the findings. https://newmatilda.com/2015/02/25/ian-macdonald-great-sexism-not-so-good-reading-and-writing

Instead an extraordinary piece of theatre was enacted where an old and discredited tactic of shooting the messenger took place. The Forgotten Children Report was forgotten in the ensuing slanging match, and its tragic evidence barely saw the light of day.

If Ian Macdonald and his cohort had taken the time to discuss the report they would have heard evidence from the department that there were 19 reported cases of sexual assault - including five involving minors – in Nauru's detention centre in seven months, as well as 44 cases on the mainland.

Another report into this awful statistic commissioned by the Minister himself has been hidden away from public view. We are still awaiting a full release of the Phillip Moss Report commissioned by the then Minister Morrison.

However, to understand the threats faced daily by families on Nauru, you have to talk to the mothers whose stories of trying to keep themselves and their children safe in the brutal camp conditions explain the mental disintegration affecting children and parents alike. Most at risk are women and girls without a husband or brother to protect them.

Sister Brigid Arthur and I have talked to mothers in camps on mainland Australia and also on Facebook to women still on Nauru. As well we have talked with the separated families of husbands, wives and children some onshore and some on Nauru. These are their stories of daily life in the communal tent camps on Nauru.

Abuse of women and children

One of the most distressing stories involves eight-year-old Ali* who became very fearful. Suddenly he would not leave his mother’s side. He was afraid and tearful and refused to go to the education tent even for a few hours without his mother. He cried with nightmares each night but could not say why. This went on for weeks.

One afternoon a female relative was playing with him as he started to cry. He could not tell her why, so she gave him some coloured pencils and paper and asked him to draw anything he liked. She was outside the tent with his mother when he became very distressed. The women went to him and he threw himself into his Mother’s arms sobbing. He had drawn a Nauruan guard naked with an erect penis. This information was given to Phillip Moss.

Mariam*, another mother on Nauru told me how one day she heard her teenage son shouting in fear and then her neighbour in the tent also crying out. She looked out to see them running. They told her that one of the guards had taken his pants down, exposing his genitals and was shouting at everyone.

Mariam said that some of the Nauruan guards “have no control over themselves” and that they come to work drunk. Deals with the Nauruan government ensure high levels of employment in the camps for local people at pegged rates of pay. This places more Nauruans in the camps, both in single and family areas, and many have roles as security guards. This role requires them to walk around the camp at night doing “welfare” checks, which is the expression for head counts. Tents are checked three times a night.

Mariam told me that she lies awake at night in fear, watching the curtain for when the guard comes in. As she said, “you can’t lock a tent”. Australian and New Zealand staff do not interfere. Even when an incident is acknowledged the person or child at risk is not removed, nor is the perpetrator.

Ina*, a young girl told me that of a guard who had pushed her to the ground and was only stopped from assaulting her further by screams from another woman. This guard stayed in her camp and watched and followed her continually. She lives in terror. This information was given to Phillip Moss.

Children are living in these camps in fear, knowing that their own parents cannot protect them. They are all prisoners. If a parent speaks back they can be victimised and reported on as being “non-compliant”.

The mothers talk about physical conditions in the camps which undermine their dignity as human beings. They say that they have no privacy at all. They live in communal tents with five or six other families separated by a see through curtain. They detail the way that the basic needs for life are made as punitive as possible.

Toilets

400 people share four toilets. They are cleaned very irregularly. Asylum seekers talk of the filthy toilets which the children don’t want to use. They have no water and are allowed no cleaning agents to clean by themselves. They talk of the constant long queues for the toilet. Many women and children cannot wait and have become incontinent as a result. They wear pads when they can get them. Even the older children are wearing pads because they do not have enough clothes.

Showers

They explain that showers open for only three hours a day, mostly 9am to 12 midday but sometimes 1pm to 4pm. Everyone is in the queue until time is up. You simply miss out when the three hours runs out, or sometimes the water runs out. The showers are controlled by guards who tick the person off a list before allowing them into the stall. The guard controls the water stopcock, giving one or two minutes. The list ensures that no-one gets more than one shower per day - no exceptions, if woman or child are sick or have had an accident. The women beg for extra water to wash a child or themselves. Skin rashes and infections are endemic.

Washing Clothes

Washing machines are frequently broken or there is no water. People wash clothes secretly in toilets. There is trouble if they are caught and then the toilet water is turned off as punishment. The queue for washing machines opens only for a few hours. Many women and children are restricted in their clothing ration to only two pairs of underpants so washing is a priority.

Drinking Water

Water supply for drinking is from a large plastic container. People are issued with two plastic disposable cups each day. They must then queue to fill these two cups, then move away and queue again if they want more. No bottles are allowed. This limits the water use and is causing health problems in the hot Nauruan climate. Water from a tank is collected, rainwater however it is not potable being unclean, discoloured with debris floating in it and fit only for washing.

Basic Health Care

Medications are dispensed daily, even contraceptive pills. Sanitary pads are also issued in small numbers because they are deemed a fire hazard. There are long queues in the hot sun daily and there is no privacy – everyone knows your business. Diabetic medication needs to be given before breakfast but is often not available. Women who are sick and who cannot stand in the queue for hours, miss their contraceptive pills and risk getting pregnant.

Women are flown to Australia for abortions because these are illegal on Nauru. Young women have told me of the awful decision they feel forced to take. Many of these are first babies but they say that it would be wrong to have a baby on Nauru and ask how they could keep a baby alive in such conditions.

Staffing

Australian nurses have been replaced by nurses from the Philippines who have no connections to Australian media, so damaging stories about terrible medical practices are less likely to leak out. Local staff are all related with family loyalties protecting each other. Many of the Australian security staff are ex-Army from Afghanistan, carrying their own burdens of trauma and mental illness. Why would they go to Nauru after completing tours of duty in war?

Information control

The contractors have confidentiality clauses ensuring silence with threats of legal consequences if they speak out. Journalists have to pay $8,000 up front to apply for a visa to go to Nauru to work. No-one on Nauru wants to take responsibility for what is happening to the people imprisoned there. The Human Rights Commission was blocked from visiting Nauru. Phillip Moss was commissioned to go but will his report ever see the light of day? It could further corroborate the expert evidence given by doctors, psychiatrists, welfare workers and asylum seekers themselves to the Human Rights Commission.

Children and families have been living in these conditions for over 18 months now. Is it any wonder that children are depressed, self-harming and starving themselves?

As one eleven-year-old girl said to me, “I learned how to cut myself on Nauru, I did not know about this before”. I asked why, and she said ‘It helps my head not to explode”.

*Names changed to protect their identities.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 09:05 pm
Just say no to the new Surveillance Tax - and get in your ALP rep's face to oppose this too.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 02:36 am
Getting worse every day.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 04:02 pm
This Boy Literally Head-Desked Tony Abbott And It Was Hilarious

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_vMDrRUcAAo-NP.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 05:17 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAFwBXzUUAASB9y.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 07:06 pm
The bit that most interests me starts half way down - what's happened to the bureaucracy delivering services to remote indigenous communities - as you may know Mrs Hinge spent half her life in that space but the move to PMC, catastrophically inneffective new programs, and the inability of the new department to even understand the indigenous setting meant she took a (very generous) package and is well out of it.

Abbott loses Aboriginal friends as disappointed expectations pile up

Nicolas Rothwell
The Australian
March 14, 2015 12:00AM
133 comments
Source

WHEN the Prime Minister for indigenous affairs leaned into the microphone of a Kalgoorlie radio station last Tuesday and expressed his view that existence on remote West Australian outstations was a “lifestyle choice”, he may not quite have foreseen the full suite of consequences — the splintering of his indigenous support coalition, the furious pouncing of the radical intelligentsia, the vast manipulation of his simplistic words.

But he was already well aware that the future funding of outstations in the bush was a subject rich in potential for controversy — a touchstone for his leadership on Aboriginal policy and a topic rich in emotive resonances.

In the wake of an agreement reached by the commonwealth last year with the West Australian government, Premier Colin Barnett announced his intention to withdraw funding from about 150 small outstations, but he was imprecise in defining his list of settlements to shutter, at one point even seeming to suggest the large Kukatja community of Balgo may be a place with devastating dysfunction at its heart.

The dilemma for policy architects is that there are many types of outstation and homeland, controlled by different legal regimes and with different histories. They range from family outcamps on the Dampier Peninsula near Broome to permanent communities of desert dwellers seeking to live a deeply ritual life. The present uncertainty has filled remote bush people throughout Western Australia with fear: many smaller settlements feel they may be on the state’s shortlist for funding cuts.

Just a week before Abbott’s Kalgoorlie trip, the atmospherics had been primed by his Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion, who gave an interviewer his sketch of bush conditions: “Many of my communities live on the floor, it is like a cave. I think one of the characteristics of civilisation must be that you don’t have to eat at the same level as your animals; it must be something like that.”

The Prime Minister let these remarks drift by unrebuked. He elected instead to home in on the economics of outstations.

The lie of the land in the smallest remote settlements is plain enough: Aboriginal men and women choose to live there, and make that choice for multiple reasons, and receive a state subsidy that helps ease the hardship in the decision. Traditional people remain on their own country because they like to be on land they feel is close to them; they gain a sense of sustenance from prolonging or reviving their culture.

Indeed, their culture is linked to place, it survives in its most integral form on its own ground, and it is something distinct and original to that world.

But in most such cases trad­itional people are opting to live beyond the reach of conventional schooling, health clinics or employment, even beyond easy transport infrastructure.

Almost always, their outstations are on private Aboriginal land. Hence the immediate dilemma for the state as potential infrastructure funding body — just as Abbott outlined it.

But the paradox lies exactly here. Only today, in the conditions of technological modernity, with high-speed broadband in the picture, do outstations at last have the potential to develop as viable long-term residential centres. There is no reason that schooling and economic opportunity cannot reach the homelands of the desert and the north.

Remoteness is no longer an absolute bar. To the contrary, the ­argument for the Aboriginal presence in the furthest reaches of the landscape is augmented by the urgent need to manage the continental land mass, to develop and husband its resources and to compensate for the progressive rundown of mining communities and the departure of regional Australia’s non-indigenous population to the coasts.

The indigenous population groups of the inland and the tropics are the natural workforce for projects that aim to develop the country’s outback and tropical savanna: they are also often the owners of the resources.

If the large native title agreements covering the remote north and centre are to mean anything, they strongly imply a continued Aboriginal life on traditional lands, and a degree of subsidy similar at least to that provided by the commonwealth and states to outlying and regional townships with mixed populations.

Far-flung though they are, the small homelands often provide a simpler, safer and healthier environment for extended families than the crowded larger indigenous communities where official services are clustered, and where drug dealers and grog smugglers can operate with impunity.

Outstations, though, are not merely places to live. They have a special role in the Aboriginal thought-world: they are the old, true country of tradition, and they are also the promised land, the customary estates that the first firebrands of the Aboriginal rights movement fought to win back.

The initial northern homelands settled in the early 1970s were carved out of the stringybark forests of Arnhem Land by missionaries and young Aboriginal men who saw themselves as culture warriors, seeking to preserve their languages and beliefs.

In the deserts of the centre, the rough outcamps set up by advance parties leading the exodus from official ration stations were deliberately placed very close to ritual sites. Even today, indigenous men and women in the cities who have never lived on outstations, or dreamed of living on one, regard the continued presence of communities on traditional lands as a vital element in the compact between incomers and the descendants of Australia’s first peoples.

The depth of this conviction explains the strength of the reaction Abbott’s phrasing provoked. In midweek, his most prominent indigenous backer, Noel Pearson, went on ABC’s Radio National to put him to the sword. This was the signal that Abbott’s standing in the indigenous realm has been transformed.

On election in September 2013 he was a potential saviour: goodwill flowed towards him. Today he is too toxic even for his own former supporters.

Pearson had clung grimly to Abbott in the hope that the commonwealth would bring in the Forrest welfare package, which picked up the Cape York reform program’s blueprint for full-scale welfare income management controls.

On Wednesday, he was accusing Abbott of reducing complexities to thought bubbles: “A very disappointing and hopeless statement by the Prime Minister.”

Indigenous leaders closely connected to the bush and poised at the vanguard of powerful constituencies are also now out in open field campaigning against the Prime Minister and his policies: the chief executive of the Northern Land Council, Joe Morrison, delivered a speech in Canberra last month accusing Scullion and his Northern Territory political party of trying to seize control of indigenous lands held under the Land Rights Act.

The combined Aboriginal organisations of the Territory are up in arms over cuts and have proclaimed their lack of confidence in the commonwealth government. This fierce opposition is the natural consequence of Abbott’s policy announcements and the new architecture of Aboriginal affairs he has put in place.

The goodwill of bush people that he brought with him into office has evaporated. At the half-way point of his government’s first term, the portfolio has already all but defeated him. A quick overview of the various initiatives he has set in train will paint the picture.

Abbott shifted the key indigenous services bureaucrats into the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, causing a turbulence that has yet fully to subside, and elevating officials inexperienced in the field to positions of controlling prominence.

Federal cabinet approved a $530 million cut over the next half-decade in the dedicated Aboriginal programs budget, and a wholesale redesign of service delivery funding arrangements into five streams. The impact of this Indigenous Advancement Strategy is only now being felt for the first time: it is an earthquake.

Specialist Aboriginal legal services and outstation organisations in the Northern Territory have had their budgets slashed, the larger land councils may lose their ranger program funding, while small, long-established centres such as the Institute for Aboriginal Development, a language research and education campus in the heart of Alice Springs, face being shut down.

The result of these decisions, multiplied across the whole country, is a substantial cutback in ­positions for the educated indigenous middle classes now employed in publicly funded entities: a cutback that will have a harsh long-term effect on regional Australian society.

But there is money aplenty for preferred projects. About $40m has already been poured into Abbott’s flagship bush program, the Remote School Attendance Strategy, which now employs substantial numbers of Aboriginal community members, engaged in a futile campaign to coax or constrain young children into classrooms. It remains a fiasco.

For policy advice Abbott set up a special indigenous affairs advisory council: its chairman, Warren Mundine, has emerged as a free-speaking and sharp critic of the Prime Minister’s regular slips of the tongue.

In a bid to change the relationship between indigenous populations and the bureaucrats who fund them, Abbott was induced by Cape York’s Pearson to explore an opt-in “empowered communities” project: many meetings and Canberra consultations later it is still nothing more than a deranged spaghetti diagram.

Jobs for the jobless of the indigenous world was a key feature of Abbott’s pre-election rhetoric, but the Remote Jobs and Communities Program his team inherited from Labor has hit the skids: work-for-the-dole schemes will now be phased in.

Scullion views with equanimity the prospect of bush Aboriginal men and women subsisting on such programs for as long as three decades: a big retreat from the initial dreams of large-scale opportunity.

In fact, the agenda for remote and regional communities is now dominated by a single big idea that has gripped the Aboriginal ­affairs bureaucracy. When Abbott asked mining magnate Andrew Forrest to provide a report on indigenous job training, he was surprised to receive a document outlining a large expansion of the scope of welfare income quarantining measures.

Launching the report after a long delay, Abbott adjudged many of its recommendations over-bold. Today Scullion and Abbott’s parliamentary secretary for indigenous matters, Alan Tudge, are canvassing the Forrest “healthy welfare card” package as their preferred means for combating the misuse of welfare income. It would be a new intervention across the remote bush that would make the 2007 NT Emergency Response seem a mere bagatelle.

The evidence-based case for the viability of this measure in today’s remote communities and regional centres has yet to be made, while the argument to secure the support of bush people has not even been attempted.

Such is the balance-sheet. This list is not some cruel caricature of commonwealth indigenous policy: it is commonwealth indigenous policy, in the plans of its administrators and in its impact or likely consequences on the ground.

Of course, Aboriginal affairs has been a graveyard of conservative dreams all through the past generation. When John Howard and Mal Brough planned their intervention in the Territory, they hoped to cut back sexual abuse of children, increase the remote housing stock and lift the number of community jobs.

Almost a decade on, the outcome has proved to be the precise opposite.

With the arrival of a new, committed Prime Minister at the helm in Canberra, though, there were hopes that the federal government, omnipotent in its control over the remote indigenous realm, might act with finesse as well as with dispatch.

Abbott’s pledge was that he would be a different kind of leader for indigenous Australians: he would consult Aboriginal people and move forward in concert with them, rather than seeking to impose one-size-fits-all solutions.

After all, he had a special connection with the communities of the centre and the north, he had seen the challenges they faced first-hand, and grasped the bond between bush people and their landscape.

When he went to northeast Arnhem Land late last year for his first Aboriginal community immersion week as Prime Minister, he listened deeply, spoke gently, comported himself with modesty and thrilled all with the tact and grace of his understanding.

He was on remote community land: land compromised by an imposed resources project and its associated works. He grasped the weight of ceremony and tradition; he wanted to craft a new way ahead. No mention then of lifestyle choices: the notion would have come as a great surprise to his host that week, Galarrwuy Yunupingu, whose religious life is firmly centred in his remote homeland of Dhanaya.

It is, then, the bitterness of disappointed expectations that now fuels the outrage Abbott’s stray remarks in Kalgoorlie whipped up. These responses highlight a self-created political problem of epic scale for the Prime Minister. It was he who crafted his persona as a committed supporter of indigenous rights and traditions.

He stands at the apex of the federal government, which retains prime responsibility for ensuring Aboriginal progress. And yet he seems distinctly unwilling to use his position and authority in support of the remote indigenous world.

The past fortnight’s ministerial and prime ministerial pronouncements have guaranteed the end of the short-lived rapprochement between bush Aboriginal people and the political parties of the conservative Coalition.

More than this, the focus has been thrown once more on to ­Abbott’s strange gift for damaging the interests of his own supporters and his declared cause.

If he survives as Prime Minister long enough to spend another week in an Aboriginal community setting, he could do worse than choose a suitably remote outstation — for the lifestyle, of course.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 01:00 am
This is quite true - if it happens....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11081167_915028995197880_5814749365795974612_n.png?oh=af5dbacced212d68ee83c348b52a92f0&oe=55BA0429&__gda__=1437599392_05d71957485011b4fe611d6ddd6bc599
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 01:27 am
As much as I hate him, I want him here until the next election. He can't win. The voting public are for the most part halfwits, and may just fall for another of Murdoch's cronies.