Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 12:14 pm
@manden,
I am willing to accept IT...tell me the Absolute Truth !
manden

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 12:51 pm
@Leadfoot,
It is much easier ( than your evasions ) :
We must search for the truth about the true God and then do it with all our
strength and will !
BUT THIS MANKIND WANT TO DO ITS WILL !
manden

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:12 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Read my threads !
In short : the true God is the God and father of the mankind , the real creator of the universe - NOT one of the manmade idols of the manmade religions .
His EXISTENCE can be recognized at his creation - incredibly difficult for this corrupt and ill mankind .
The task of the mankind here :
we must learn to live in real harmony ( loving , responsible , sharing ) with him
and his creation - all human beings and the nature .
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 01:19 pm
@manden,
Thank you very much now I know the truth.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 02:26 pm
@manden,
Quote:
We must search for the truth about the true God and then do it with all our strength and will !
I've been singing that song for some time now. But I'm willing to bet that if every member of mankind did that, the paths would be all over the place.

One size does not fit all...

I think the path you follow depends a lot on whatever you think are 'first principles'. One of the most basic is - Why? Why did God create mankind.

Why do you think?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:32 pm
@manden,
By applying reason and logic to what you say, i come to the conclusion that as you have no evidence, you must be deluded. Being honest, i consider you the one who is ill and corrupt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 03:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
How very convenient it is for you to dismiss what i say as playing to an audience--but i'm addressing you and what you say, and have been all along. I have not mentioned any "Christian authorities," and have only pointed out that you cannot speak to an "impact" without a source for such a claim, and the only sources available would be the anecdotal evidence of christians. Any number of muslims would be just as willing to allege such an impact on them by Mohammed. It would just as much meaningless babble. As i refer to dates as CE (the common era) and BCE (before the common era), i can quite easily dispense with your superstition .

Irony is not dead, as you are the one banging on a drum. You keep insisting that there must be something there ]]i]sic[/i]], and now that your boy Jeebus has had an impact, as though that were some kind of evidence for ineffable qualities which you have not named, and certainly have not described. Were you not peddling your preferred superstition by reference to vague capacities and effects, i'd have nothing to comment on. Stop pounding your drum, if wish for silence.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2016 06:16 pm
@Setanta,
Really? You don't remember this?:

Quote:
The only evidence on individual lives that there is which is not suspect as anecdotal evidence is coercion by christian authorities.

It was only hours ago. Maybe your drums are affecting your memory too?
manden

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 12:27 pm
Correct is : the mankind is child of the true God , and the uman beings are
part of the mankind . The true God is the real creator of the universe , God and father of the mankind - of course N O T manmade idol of the manmade religions !
IF YOU ARE ABLE TO OPEN YOUR EYES , YOU CAN SEE !
But I think you are not interested , you have much more important concerns !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 03:13 pm
@Leadfoot,
Then perhaps you can explain what that would have to do with "playing to an audience." Really, your rhetorical skills are pathetic.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 04:01 pm
@Setanta,
That is what it looked like you were doing since your responses didn't apply to me (impact on lives explained by Christian authorities, etc).
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 05:01 pm
@Leadfoot,
You were alleging an impact on people's lives. There can only be two sources for such a claim--the anecdotal evidence of individuals, or the claims of Christian authorities. To allege that saying as much constitutes "playing to an audience" is nonsensical--there is no logical connection between the two statements.

In fact, i have always tried to address the issues of organized religion fairly when they constitute questions of the subject matter--i don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water. Certainly i will go after religious types--christian, muslim or jewish--when i think they are being pompous and bigoted. In such a case i will attack them and delight in taking cheap shots. But if somone simply asks a auestion, i try to answer it as best i can. This thread can serve as an example.

As for playing to an audience, i have in fact alienated many ot the atheists here by denying some sinister role of religion in warfare and bloodshed. Although i once made similar allegations, as a student and devoté of history, i realized that i could not sustain such claims. That is not to say that there haven't been times when christians (or muslims) have wreaked bloody slaughter on others because of their religious adherence, but specifically, it is true that full-scale warfare cannot be sustained without a political or economic motive--which are usually the same thing. So, for example, the papacy railed against the Cathars (an odd use of Greek) for quite a long time to no avail. No one was sufficiently bothered to give a damn, and certainly not enough to go to war, always an expensive and risky endeavor. However, when a papal legate was murdered, Innocent III called for France to take the cross against the Albigenses (another name for the Cathars), even though the alleged instigator of the murder, Raymond of Toulouse, was not a Cathar. But Innocent knew how this worked, so he got together with King Phillip of France and told him that he would declare the "heretics" apostate, and their estates forfeit, making those estates available to reward those taking the cross. So, although Popes had called for the suppression of the heresy since at least 1147, it was not until sixty years later that the Albigensian Crusade got off the ground. People don't make war because they are pious, but rather, because they are self-interested.

There is also the example of the so-called Thirty Years War (there was not actually a single thirty years war, but that is not important in this context). The middle phase was known as the Swedish phase (all of this is the fixing of names long after the event by academic historians, who are notoriously sloppy), when King Gustav II Adolf, known to history as Gustavus Adolphus, landed in northern Germany and promptly reversed the apparent settlement by the Catholic Imperialists. Unfortunately for German Protestants, Gustav II was killed in battle less than two years later. Now enters Cardinal Richelieu, the de facto if not the de jure ruler of France. Never mind that the Imperialists were Catholic, Richelieu did not want the Holy Roman Empire to unite and control Germany, a rather obvious threat to France. So Catholic France paid large subsidies to Protestant Sweden in the war against Catholic Austria. Political and economic considerations trump religion every time.

Many times over the years, i have contradicted atheists who have alleged that christians have started all manner of wars. Far from playing to an audience, i have been willing to set the record straight whenever i see what i consider to be bad history being promulgated. I apply the same standard to christians who attempt to allege that atheists are just as bad or worse because of the actions of the Soviet Union. There simply is no historical evidence to support such a claim.

So you can take that "playing to an audience" horsie poop and stuff it where the sun don't shine.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 06:32 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You were alleging an impact on people's lives. There can only be two sources for such a claim--the anecdotal evidence of individuals, or the claims of Christian authorities. To allege that saying as much constitutes "playing to an audience" is nonsensical--there is no logical connection between the two statements.
I think you are reading too much into "playing to an audience". Would it be any clearer if I said 'not addressing my position'?

The reason I say that is because I have declared my dissatisfaction with "christian authorities', organized religion, blind faith, etc. at every opportunity. When you criticize my position by criticizing them, I couldn't help but wonder who you were talking to. I've been more critical of them than I have been of atheists. At least atheists have the courage to at least pick a side.

My problem with you is your out of hand rejection of what you call 'anecdotal evidence of individuals'. What other evidence can there be of an invisible spirit that interacts with individuals? I'm not saying you have to take my or anyone else's word for it, but to automatically reject it because it challenges your notion of reality is not objective.

To say that there is no impact on people's lives is a denial of reality. Sometimes that impact is not always pretty, but it is nonetheless real.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 06:51 pm
@Leadfoot,
This is why i say that your rhetoric is pathetic. I have addressed your alletged position by pointing out that you have no evidence. "Christian authorities" are untrustworthy in such a matter, as it appears you acknowledge yourself. (Although i don't doubt that you'll now claim that you've not said that.) Anecdotal evidence is untrustworthy precisely because it cannot be quantified. There are about as many notions of who and what your boy Jeebus was as there are people professing to be christians. My problem is not the assertion of an "impact" but in your attempt to claim that "there must be something there" as a result of a claim of there having been an impact. Yous is a claswsic example of wanting to have your cake and to eat it as well. What evidence do you have that there is an invisible spirit which interacts with people? Self-delusion is a rather feeble basis upon which to build your rhetorical edifice, and unless and until you can demonstrate that such an invisbile spirit exists and interacts with people, you're engaged in gross question begging. I don't reject anecdotal evidence because it challenges any notion of reality that i hold--but precisely because it is anecdotal, precisely because people saying a thing is not evidence that such a thing is true.

To say that people allege an impact on their lives by an interaction with an invisible spirit does not constitute evidence that such a spirit exists, nor that any such thing interacts with people. It is as bankrupt a concept as the four humors or of phlogiston. It is certainly not objective to allege any such spirit interacting with people. You sneer at my attitude when you are playing fast and loose with the concept of evidence and begging questions.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 07:22 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I don't reject anecdotal evidence because it challenges any notion of reality that i hold--but precisely because it is anecdotal, precisely because people saying a thing is not evidence that such a thing is true.
People are convicted of murder and put to death on the strength of such 'anecdotal evidence'.

But you are the juror, you have to judge if the witness is lying or not. The analogy breaks down here because the jury IS affected by the decision.

Happy deliberating...
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2016 07:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
Melodrama doesn't help your pathetic rhetorical case. That some people believe that an invisible spirit interacts with them i don't doubt. What i doubt is that it is true. Just because someone says a thing is not evidence that it is true. Your claim that people are put to death based on anecdotal evidence is pure bullsh*t.
manden

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 03:37 am
And the answer to the topic question is :
Jesus was a good man who tried to find the truth about the true (real) God .
He could recognize a part of it , but NOT who the real God is - because of his
false religion , from which he could not really make free !
He was of course a normal man and almost child of the real God how every human being is . The mankind is child of the true God ( and the human beings
are parts of it ) .
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:23 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
That some people believe that an invisible spirit interacts with them i don't doubt. What i doubt is that it is true.
Then you are admitting that there is an incredibly powerful impact on individuals lives. Whether it is true or not, it is a hell of an impact.
Quote:
Just because someone says a thing is not evidence that it is true. Your claim that people are put to death based on anecdotal evidence is pure bullsh*t.
So you are saying that people testifying in court as to what happened has never resulted in a guilty verdict?

That would be a novel defense - here is your closing argument:
'ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you can't convict my client on anecdotal evidence. Just because this one or two witnesses say they saw the defendant murder someone doesn't prove a thing. If You didn't see him do it yourself, you must find the defendant not guilty!'

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 06:34 am
@Leadfoot,
Jesus wept, you're truly pathetic. "Incredibly powerful" and "hell of an impact" are not terms i used, nor would i use them. I am "admitting" nothing--i'm simply acknowledging the power of self-delusion. Unless and until someone can provide clear and unambiguous evidence for your invisible spirit, delusion is all it can be considered.

As is the case with so many people around here, you can't get along with straw man fallacies. You are equating testimony in court with anecdotal evidence, not i. That you wish to equate such evidence with anecdote does not in the least bind me to your stupid melodramatic flourishes. If someone gets executed over that, the fault lies with their defense attorney.

You're a mess, Bubba. You don't write worth a sh*t, and you cannot directly address any criticism. All you do is attempt to divert the discussion, as with this latest example of your lack of rhetorical skills, and sneer at anyone who dare disagree with your cherished superstition.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2016 07:03 am
@Setanta,
For a man who many say didn't even exist to have such an impact on so many people 2000+ years after his death is remarkable. That was the point where we started in case you forgot.

If you choose to define everyone who claims to have interacted with that spirit to be either lying or delusional or both, you have that freedom. But that does not change the fact of an impact on individual lives.