Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:25 am
@laughoutlood,
Sneers are about all you're goof for, aren't they? You run into a thread, laugh at somebody, and run off. You don't actually ever contribute to a discussion, you're just here to preen your ego by laughing at others.

Quote:
The idea that the Earth was flat was typical of ancient European cosmologies until about the 4th century BC, when the Ancient Greek philosophers proposed the idea that the Earth was a sphere, or at least rounded in shape.

Have trouble understanding that sentence, mr. lol?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:28 am
Here's a little something more for you, Mr. Smart Mouth lol:

Quote:
The Flat Earth model is an archaic belief that the Earth's shape is a plane or disk. Many ancient cultures have had conceptions of a flat Earth, including Greece until the classical period, the Bronze Age and Iron Age civilizations of the Near East until the Hellenistic period, India until the Gupta period (early centuries AD) and China until the 17th century. It was also typically held in the aboriginal cultures of the Americas, and a flat Earth domed by the firmament in the shape of an inverted bowl is common in pre-scientific societies.

Source
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 09:32 am
@neologist,
Neologist said- "What about those religions that claim the soul survives death?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about 'em?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 09:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta said- "there are more christains than any other flavor of the superstitiously deluded..........You do know, don't you, that once upon a time, the majority of people in the world believed the world was flat"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JC wasn't a superstition, he was solid flesh and blood and seen by far too many people to be a delusion! You'll be telling us next Buddha never existed, or Mohammed, or Elvis..Wink
As for the flat earth notion, that never came from the Bible, rather it hints at something round, floating in space-
"God sits on the circle of the earth" (Isaiah 40:22)
"God hangs the earth on nothing" (Job 26:7)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 09:58 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
JC wasn't a superstition, he was solid flesh and blood and seen by far too many people to be a delusion!

No he wasn't it's all 3rd 4th hand accounts, and ties up very nicely with the pagan concept of sacrifice and rebirth.

You really need to look at the actual history of all this. You're incredibly ignorant. You claimed Matthew was a disciple which is plain wrong.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:17 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy said- "You claimed Matthew was a disciple which is plain wrong"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He used to be a tax-collector so nobody liked him at first, but after he quit the job and Jesus signed him up his street cred got a great boost.
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:58 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
See by far too many people? You've got first hand accounts which can be said to be unambiguous records contemporary to when he is alleged to have lived? You are seriously deluded. I don't care if you believe this tripe, but don't try to claim for it an authority it does not have. Or, as they say in New York, don't ;iss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

EDIT: By the way, all the bible talks about is something round. Nowhere does the bible unambiguously describe the earth as sphere. Stop making **** up.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:03 am
@contrex,
Quote:
For me there is no 'almost' about it; I would go further and say they are purely conceptual/hypothetical.
Your assertion Con might well serve as the OP for a new thread discussing the reality of the abstract

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:45 am
Setanta said- "You've got first hand accounts which can be said to be unambiguous records contemporary to when he [Jesus] is alleged to have lived?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if Jesus never existed, what MOTIVE would anybody have for making him and Christianity up?
Control? NAH!- "Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; NOT LORDING IT OVER those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:2-3)

Money? NAH!- Unlike so many, WE DO NOT PEDDLE THE WORD OF GOD FOR PROFIT"- 2 Cor 2:17
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:50 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Total Bullshit.

Quote:
The Gospel of Matthew is anonymous: the author is not named within the text, nowhere does he claim to have been an eyewitness to events, and the superscription "according to Matthew" was not part of the first editions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Matthew
izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:51 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The Catholic Church is pretty wealthy.
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:57 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The motive is power, control over people's thoughts and lives. You don't subscribe to Christianity, you subscribe to Paul-ianity. You even quote one of that gobshite's letter when you bring up that strawman bullshit about money. You can befuddle the deluded true believers, but every church, every preacher, every tent revival bible thumper has one goal in mind--control. I don't care who you quote, that's the name of the game.

As Izzy points out, your "peddle the word of god for profit" bullshit gets shot in the ass just by looking at the Catholic Church. Have a look at televangelists, too, the Pope's not the only one in the business of fleecing the flock. (pun intended)

EDIT: By the way, i didn't say that your boy Jebus never existed--i just pointed out that you don't have any evidence.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 11:59 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy said- "The Catholic Church is pretty wealthy"
-------------------------------------------------------------
It's also corrupt, perverted, satanic, and rotten to the core!
In short I don't give a rat's ass about the catholic church, and if people think it represents Jesus, more fool them..Wink
PS- we had a catholic chaplain at school, he used to stride around in a long black cassock glaring at us pupils with a face as sour as ****; he must have put hundreds of kids off Jesus over the years.
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:00 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Oh, but the Protestants, they just saintly angels, huh?

Fool.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy said- "Total bullshit"
------------------------------

What is, the authorship of Matthew?
It's pretty clear cut- The early Christian bishop Papias of Hierapolis (b. 63) said: "Matthew wrote down the sayings of Jesus in Hebrew dialect and everyone translated them to the best of their ability".
They simply put Matthew's Diaries into book form.
For example I've just been reading the book "A Nurse at the Front" which consists of nurse Edie Appletons WW1 diary entries..Smile
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:15 pm
Setanta said- "Every church, every preacher, every tent revival bible thumper has one goal in mind--control"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you'd said 95% of them are like that I'd agree with you, I slap them around in forums and places all the time.
The other 5% are true christians and are decent great people whether you agree or not..Smile
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 12:19 pm
Setanta said- "Oh, but the Protestants, they just saintly angels, huh?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've already dissed catholics so you can bet they've read my comments and have gone running to the A2K bosses to try to get me banned, and if I was to tell you what I think of Protestants and other religions I'd have them on my back too..Smile

izzythepush

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:10 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

It's pretty clear cut- The early Christian bishop Papias of Hierapolis (b. 63) said: "Matthew wrote down the sayings of Jesus in Hebrew dialect and everyone translated them to the best of their ability".
They simply put Matthew's Diaries into book form.
For example I've just been reading the book "A Nurse at the Front" which consists of nurse Edie Appletons WW1 diary entries..Smile

Quote:
The tradition that this was the disciple Matthew begins with the early Christian bishop Papias of Hierapolis (b. 63), who wrote: "Matthew wrote down the sayings of Jesus (logia) in Hebrew dialect (en Hebraïdi dialektōi—may refer to Hebrew or Aramaic), and everyone translated (hērmēneusen—or "interpreted") them to the best of their ability. On the surface this implies that Matthew's Gospel was written in Hebrew or Aramaic and translated into Greek, but the passage is ambiguous and Matthew's Greek "reveals none of the telltale marks of a translation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Matthew

It's not at all clear cut, if you aren't interested in what serious scholars have to say, and just believe crap because you want to, then fair enough. Just don't pretend you've actually put any thought into it, because you haven't.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:13 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Yes, you're delusional.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 01:15 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You're even more delusional that i'd have thought. No one is "running to the A2K bosses," because what you post is not a violation of the TOS. What you post is also neither controversial nor important.

You're just not that important.
0 Replies