What is the likelihood of WW3 breaking out over syria

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 06:10 pm
With all the hype going on over a military strike on syria and russia sending warships near syria what is the possibility of this becoming a nuclear war?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,820 • Replies: 14
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 06:42 pm
@kpayne90,
About zero.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 01:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Judging from the apathy of most our allies, I'd agree with Max
roger

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:00 pm
@dalehileman,
What about our own apathy?

Well no. For us, it's a well reasoned assessment of the situation. Apathy is for every one else.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 04:56 pm
@roger,
Ours, Rog, seems more confusion than apathy
roger

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 09:48 pm
@dalehileman,
I was being sarcastic, like women are stubborn; men are persistant - just as an example.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 09:59 pm
@kpayne90,
Fairly high. The major factor in question is stupidity (Bork Obunga); stupidity usually causes more harm in the world than evil.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 10:10 am
@roger,
Quote:
I was being sarcastic, like women are stubborn; men are persistant - just as an example.
Of course Rog, I'm often slow and literal in the a.m.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 10:32 am
@gungasnake,
Zero and we already pull the teeth of the Russians by sending in a carrier battlegroup just to tell them not to interfere in any way or in any manner.
0 Replies

Kradd

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:25 pm
@kpayne90,
Let me try this one.

Millitary action in Syria might ( correct me if i'm wrong ) bring end to momentary conflicts in Syria, where USA will threaten all opposing parties involved in the conflict.

The relationship between USA and Syria will be damaged, this same influence will also occur in the middle east in general.
Every action leaves their scars, just like USA's actions will.
Say if USA manage to keep peace in Syria because of their military interaction, how long will it last? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? This will anyhow create a somewhat "false peace" giving Al Quaida time to grow. Al Quaida wont be to happy about this action, in fact a portion of the citizen not only Syrians, Iraqis, Iranian and other people from countries in middle east, will have their likely hood of supporting Al'Quaida Increased.

With decreased popularity comes increased hatered - this goes in Al'Quaidas favour.

According to statistics majority of people want to prevent military actions in Syria, not to worsen the situation for the Syrian people, and the relations between countries. USA's popularity will greatly decrease world wide if this action takes place.

If the possibility of a nuclear war should occur, Iran have to be seriously involved - USA's action in Syria does not decrease this likelihood (based on my knowledge) i would say + 1% likelihood of nuclear war, maybe greater?

We can only hope that USA are tactically doing what Russian's said in the tabloids, to put diplomatic pressure on the opposing parties in Syria, giving a clear warning as they have. This might very well be the pressure they need to force the opposing parties in Syria into diplomacy.

JPB

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:49 pm
@Kradd,
There is no intention to end (even momentarily) the conflicts in Syria. It's to

a) send a message

b) give a spanking

c) allow us to use up some missiles so we can build some more

d) keep our standing as Big Cop who carries a Big Stick

The likelihood of WW3 breaking out will fall to the Russians to decide.
JPB

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:50 pm
@dalehileman,
It's the same everywhere, dale. I don't think anyone is really apathetic.
0 Replies

Kradd

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 04:32 pm
@JPB,
Yes.

They want to tell them, and the world, what they think about using chemical weapons. They are not stupid. However that is common knowledge but not acknowledged by Syria and some other countries, based on they have not signed the CWC.

But use missiles so you can build more, is nonsense.

They want to dominate the world.

If domination and demonstration of power is the only thing you want, then putt your finger up your own nose, stop putting it in everybody elses.

A sustainable future not leading to a ww3 needs a USA that actively work to sustain and make peace.

I get a feeling that USA dont really sees their influence they have on the future, i belive this is wrong tho.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 10:58 am
@Kradd,
There is a interesting question here...

If the choice really is between Al Qaeda and Assad, what would I choose?

I understand that Al Qaeda has directly attacked the US, I still might side with them against that homicidal maniac (especially since we have already degraded Al Qaeda enough).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 09:41 pm
@kpayne90,
Very slim in the short term.

There isn't going to be a war between the US and Russia over Syria. It just isn't going to happen and anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot.

Here's where the real danger of a global conflagration exists:

Obama, as will most assuredly happen, sends a message to the world and, consequently, to the powers that be in Iran, North Korea, China, et al, that the US can be slapped and **** upon without serious consequence.

At least for the next three years.

Bad Actors, emboldened by the feckless weakness of Obama's America get aggressive.

One of them will certainly be Iran, which will interpret this debacle as a green light to go nuclear...at least within the next three years.

Three years should be more than Iran needs and so before feckless Obama slinks away to the lucrative Speaker schedule, it will test our Adored Leader.

Chances are pretty good that he will shy away from confrontation that might be "messy," and so Iran will seem to have a free pass toward becoming a "Nuclear Power."

Of course Israel is not about to stand idly by and watch Iran go nuclear.

With a US government emasculated by Obama, the Israelis will act in their own interest.

Any attack by Israel against Iran promises a wider regional conflagration.

If the Obamafied US should (insanely) abandon Israel in such a "war," Israeli nukes are more than likely to be deployed.

Nukes in any part of the world could lead to absolute disarmament or WW III. By bet is one version of the latter.
0 Replies