President Obama Hits The PAUSE Button On Syria

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:27 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The UN does not intend to give anyone a mandate to curb the use of nerve gas against civilians, so the US is going to go ahead and do it without a mandate.

If the UN does not intend to give anyone a mandate to bomb Damascus, then America's right under international law to bomb it anyway is as strong as Cuba's right to bomb Guantanamo Bay for the human-rights abuses America committed there. In other words, it has none.

It is not a human rights abuse for the US to detain captured enemy fighters at Guantanamo.

Your statement that the US has no right to bomb Syria is true enough, but I don't see why that should stop us.

Thomas wrote:
Put that together with the absence of any strategical logic connecting Obama's "limited strikes" with the cessation of nerve-gas attack, and the case for such an attack looks awfully feckless.

The connection is this: When evil dictators believe they will be punished for using nerve gas against civilians, they will be less likely to do so.
oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:28 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
revelette wrote:
So, what is the alternative? Allow chemical weapons to become acceptable, perhaps even a convential means of achieving objectives?

I won't answer this question because I disagree with its premise. Your usage of the word "allow" implies that America is in charge, that America has the rightful power to allow or forbit the Syrians from throwing poison gas upon another.But right now, it isn't and it doesn't, because nobody elected it sheriff.
That being said, yes, the alternative is that America sit tight. And that's exactly what I want it to do.

The usage of the word "allow" is an acknowledgement of the reality that the US is the only one who is able to act.

If we don't act, no one else is going to.

Well, I suppose France could go it alone, but their strike would likely be on a much smaller scale than if the US were involved.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:29 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
oralloy wrote:
If it isn't too late for Israel to conduct the bombing campaign, they should break their deal with Obama and start bombing tonight.

What deal did Israel have with Obama?

The deal is that Israel agrees to hold off on bombing Iran themselves so that Obama can pursue negotiations as long as possible, and in exchange Obama promises do whatever it takes to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons, including having the US bomb Iran if that is the only option left.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
That kind of raises the question of what happens to nerve gases when they are "blown up". Personally, I would like to know which way the wind was blowing relatively to myself and the nerve gas.

I'm not sure we are going to strike nerve gas stockpiles directly.

But if we do, the stockpiles will likely be unmixed and thus harmless. And such a strike would likely be of an incendiary nature that would render nerve agents inert.

But I would advise not being downwind when the Uranium Conversion Facility at Isfahan, Iran is bombed. That one's going to be grim.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:34 pm
NATO Chief Rasmussen: Syrian Regime Behind Chemical Attack

Quote:
BRUSSELS, Sept 2 (Reuters) - NATO's secretary-general said on Monday he had seen evidence convincing him Syrian authorities were behind a deadly chemical weapons attack and said it would send a "dangerous signal to dictators" if the world did not respond firmly.

However, Anders Fogh Rasmussen said it was up to individual NATO countries to decide how they would respond to the attack and he did not envisage any NATO role beyond existing plans to defend NATO member Turkey, which borders Syria.

"I have been presented with concrete information and, without going into details, I can tell you that personally I am convinced, not only that a chemical attack has taken place ..., but I am also convinced that the Syrian regime is responsible," Rasmussen told a news conference.

U.S. President Barack Obama has said he will seek congressional authorisation for punitive action against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad after what Washington said was a sarin gas attack on Aug. 21 that killed more than 1,400 people.

Rasmussen said there was "agreement that we need a firm international response in order to avoid that chemical attacks take place in the future. It would send, I would say, a dangerous signal to dictators all over the world if we stand idly by and don't react."

But Rasmussen said he saw no further role for NATO in the Syria crisis, beyond defending Turkey.

"If a response to what has happened in Syria were to be a military operation, I'd envisage a very short, measured, targeted operation, and you don't need the NATO command and control system to conduct such a short, measured, tailored, military operation," he said.

He said there needs to be a response, but said NATO didn't need to do it. So, I am wondering what he suggest?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I sometimes send letters to The Guardian and the Southern Daily Echo. I get considerably more published in the Echo. I've had two published by The Guardian.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 01:45 pm
The word is that Obama decided to take this to congress, not because he believed it the constitutionally correct thing to do (see Libya) but because he didn't want to have congress mad at him about this if he needed to launch a more signifcant strike in the region (think Iran).

This word, of course, comes from White House sources who apparently didn't see a problem with acknowledging that their Boss doesn't really think he needs to consult congress on this, but wanted to throw out there the notion that he's serious about Iran.

I've read some opinions that this was a clever political move on Obama's part, as he doesn't really want to intervene in Syria and if congress stops him (the speculation is that this is what he is hoping for) he can say he tried and it's congress that doesn't care about moral obscenitites.

This of course ignores the fact that it a rebuff by congress (and its impossible that it will be 100% Republican) makes him look weak in the same way parliament's rebuff of Cameron has made him look weak.

No matter what, he has no easy way out of the corner he backed himself into.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 02:09 pm
I understand people saying Obama got himself into a box since he made the red line statement, however, hasn't most of world signed onto the chemical weapons ban? Wouldn't that hold the rest of the world accountable as well?

STATUS OF PARTICIPATION IN THE CHEMICAL WEAPONS CONVENTION AS OF MAY 2009
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 02:26 pm
@revelette,
Yes, in Thomas' world, which, interestingly enough doesn't hold for doing something when rules and laws are broken.

In any case, what is the meaning of accountabilty in these matters? Who is going to hold them accountable and how?

Saddam gassed Kurds and killed thousands. The world did nothing.

Countries sign these accords but to what end? I guess it means they've pledged not to use chemical weapons (a good thing) but if push really comes to shove are they going to let a paper agreement stop them if they believe the fate of their nation is on the line?

Such accords offer cover for economic sanctions but who is going to cut their own throat by trying to impose sanctions on the major economic powers?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 02:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well done Frank

Thank you, Finn.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 03:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Something like it, although I don't precisely equate Thomas and those like-minded with the mice of the fable.

He doesn't really expect anyone else to enforce his international law or hold tightly the reins on the US, which in some ways make the exercise all the more meaningless.

I know what you mean. I meant my analogy more along the lines of "wish scenarios" are usually not the stuff of things that work.

My hometown passed a law that required cats to be on leashes when outside. That law was passed a decade ago. Lots of lose cats in town. Wanna guess how many times the law was enforced?

Yup. Never. And it never will be.

Last year they passed a law that required all home owners to keep lawns trimmed to 3" or less.

Wanna guess how many times it will be enforced during the next decade?

Right now...UNFORTUNATELY...the US can do almost as it pleases.

Passing laws that restrict what it can do are about as effective as laws prohibiting earthquakes...except more in a "bell the cat" way.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 04:19 pm
<I'm back to sure of NO>
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 05:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
There's a very good chance that eventually the US will not be able to do whatever it pleases, and some other nation will take its place. It's unlikely they will be as restrained as we have been.

Cue JTT lecture.
revelette

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 05:15 pm
@ossobuco,
What made you sure? I am just curious.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2013 05:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

There's a very good chance that eventually the US will not be able to do whatever it pleases, and some other nation will take its place. It's unlikely they will be as restrained as we have been.

Possible. I hope that doesn't happen.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 09:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Count on it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 09:54 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
Watch out Frank, Tico is setting you up

Am I that transparent?

gungasnake

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 10:04 pm
Ann Coulter:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-09-04.html

Quote:

......It would be completely different if we knew with absolute certainty that Assad was responsible for chemical attacks on his own people. (I'm still waiting to see if it was a Syrian upset about a YouTube video.)

It would be different if instead of killing a few hundred civilians, Assad had killed 5,000 civilians with poison gas in a single day, as well as tens of thousands more with chemical weapons in the past few decades.

It would be different if Assad were known to torture his own people, administer summary executions, rapes, burnings and electric shocks, often in front of the victim's wife or children.

It would be different if Assad had acted aggressively toward the United States itself, perhaps attempting to assassinate a former U.S. president or giving shelter to terrorists who had struck within the U.S. -- someone like Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Fort Hood terrorist.

It would be different if Assad were stirring up trouble in the entire Middle East by, for example, paying bounties to the families of suicide bombers in other countries.

It would also be different if we could be sure that intervention in Syria would not lead to a multi-nation conflagration.

It would be different if we knew that any action against Syria would not put al-Qaida or the Muslim Brotherhood in power, but rather would result in a functioning, peaceful democracy.

And it would be different if an attack on Syria would so terrify other dictators in the region that they would instantly give up their WMDs -- say, Iran abandoning its nuclear program.

If all of that were true, this would be a military intervention worth supporting!

All of that was true about Iraq, but the Democrats hysterically opposed that war. They opposed it even after all this was known to be true -- indeed, especially after it was known to be true! The loudest opponent was Barack Obama. ......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 09:27 am
@Ticomaya,
Tico
Quote:
Am I that transparent?

I've watched a ton of Law & Order
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 12:32 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Kuwait was not.

-------------
"We Americans are the ultimate innocents. We are forever desperate to believe that this time the government is telling us the truth."

Sydney Schanberg
------------------------

I hate to burst your bubble, JPB, but that was the US doing their war criminal/terrorist song and dance routine yet again.
0 Replies