Incorrect call?

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 11:51 am
Team A has the ball third down and three on their opponents 12 yard line. Runner gets 5 yards to the 7, first down. After the play, runner gets an unsportsman like penalty, 15 yards. Ball was placed at the 22 yard line, first and 10. My question, since the first down had been gained, should'nt it be first and goal from the 7, then add 15 yard penalty and now it should be first and goal from the 22, instead of first and ten from the 22?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 524 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 04:10 pm
@Lamar Lafong,
DO YOU KNOW A MAN BY THE NAME OF CARL LAFONG?
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 06:02 pm
Well, I'm not an expert, but I'll try to help you out with this.

My guess: it's first-and-10, not first-and-goal.

Consider a similar situation to what you've just described. Suppose your team is running back a kick-off. You get to the other team's 34 and someone on your team commits an unnecessary roughness penalty. (What's that, 15 yards?) Without the penalty it would have been 1-and-10 from the 34, and you would have had to get to their 24 for a new set of downs. WITH the penalty it's not 1-and-25, is it? In other words, you don't still have to get to the 24 for a fresh series of downs, do you? When you commit a dead-ball foul after a play is over, I think the only price you pay is yardage. You don't also face 1-and-25's, or first-and-goals from the 22.
0 Replies