Moodz

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 03:19 pm
I want to cool down my drink, outside it is 0°C and 1 bar pressure, if I move my drink trough the air, it will cool faster, the faster the drink moves trough the cold air, the faster it will cool down, but at what speed would friction cause more heat then the air can cool it down?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,638 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 03:23 pm
@Moodz,
Now, in the absence of some serious evaporation of possible condensation on the beverage can, you're not going to get below ambient. If your air is above freezing temperature of 0 C, you just won't get there.
Moodz

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 03:29 pm
@roger,
I wont get to the point that friction heat exceeds cooling? If you throw a can from space to the surface, it will burn up, so there must be a point that you get more heat then you cool it down...
0 Replies

Moodz

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 03:55 pm
@Moodz,
to make it simpler:
when moving at 0 speed there is 0° friction heat and -1° cooling heat
when moving at 10 speed there is 0.1° heat and -?° cooling
when moving at 1000000 speed there is 100° heat and -?° cooling heat

will the heat ° ever go higher then the cooling ° ?

edit: the particles hit the drink, reducing the heat of the drink and increasing itself, but at high speeds the energy of the speed of the drink creates heat, at what point does that energy become higher then the energy it can 'absorb' from the drink
0 Replies