How Do I Unzip a File?

Roberta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 04:31 am
For my work, I was sent five files. Four of them were quite small, so when I downloaded them, they went directly to Microsoft Word. The fifth file is a complete manuscript for a book. It was sent to me zipped. When I downloaded it, I said I wanted to open it, and I was presented with a list of possibilities. I selected Microsoft Word. The file went to Microsoft Word, but it's not unzipped, so I'm staring at a bunch of squares and other nonreadables. I tried downloading again, thinking I'd try opening it somewhere else, but it went directly to Microsoft Word.

How do I get the file unzipped and into Microsoft Word?

Ignorance is not always bliss.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,900 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 05:54 am
You need a zip utility, such as pkzip, in order to be able to do this.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:03 am
Are they downloadable online? I tried downloading some zippy thing, but it didn't take.

Thanks for the answer.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:06 am
Winzip?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:08 am
http://download.com.com/3000-2250-10003164.html

http://www.winzip.com/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:09 am
I think a demo is free for a bit
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:27 am
BigSpeed Zipper is a fairly competent zip utility for a freebie.

However, I've got a couple questions, 'Boita ... what Platform/Operating system are you using, and what exactly is the extension of the compressed file you wish to "unzip"?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:01 am
timberlandko wrote:
BigSpeed Zipper is a fairly competent zip utility for a freebie.

However, I've got a couple questions, 'Boita ... what Platform/Operating system are you using, and what exactly is the extension of the compressed file you wish to "unzip"?

Uh oh. Questions. My operating system? Is that WIndows 98? The extension was ZIP.

The problem has been temporarily resolved. The editor I'm working with graciously sent me the chapters separately, so I was able to open them. But I'm sure that the problem will come up again. This modern woild.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 09:20 am
Yup, Windows98 would be an operating system. BigSpeed oughtta work just fine to handle .zip files under Win9x. If you're gonna be dealing with compressed files on a regular basis, though, you'll probably be better off with a commercial compression/decompression utilty ... they're relatively cheap; typically under $50 US, many well under $50. Most can deal with a wider variety of compression types, and let you do more with and in those compressed files than will the freebies. The added functionality could prove well worth the cost.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:02 am
Thanks for the advice and info, Timber. I'll buy one.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
I unzip about 12 times a day. And have never bought a program for it (I use Winzip).

As long as the nag screen doesn't bother ya it works perfectly.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 12:02 pm
WinZip is very good ... among the best of the freebies. If it does what you need, its all you need.

I just hate nag screens Mr. Green
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
Okay, what's a nag screen?
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:28 pm
Probably be better to put the $50 towards a copy of XP?? It's got a built-in zip utility.

What do CDK and Timber (guys in the know) think of that?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:56 pm
Well, if an upgraded Operating System makes sense for other reasons as well, and is practical from the standpoint of the existing 'puter, peripherals, and important already-installed apps, it wouldn't be a bad idea, IMHO ... but a built-in zip utility is sure not reason enough by itself, and there are a whole buncha other factors to consider. For what 'Boita is doin', a freebie zip utility or a $10-$20 shareware version, might be plenty good enough. Prolly would be, I'd wager, after thinkin' on it some.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:02 pm
Timber,

I fully agree that a freeware zip utility would be the best option - I just know how much easier computer life is with XP than 98 - so figured if someone's gonna sink $50 into something...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:24 pm
Thing is I dunno if 'Boita's stuff is up to XP ... processor and memory-wise, and her current software and peripherals. That's a big "IF" that comes to my mind whenever a Win9x user considers migrating to XP, or even to 2K. Lots of folks have something on the order of, oh, say a PII 300Mhz w/64Mb of PC100 RAM ... perfectly serviceable for lots of office duties, and general websurfing, email, messaging, and chat ... but not a candidate for XP. Opinions vary, but I'd say a minimum practical upgrade to XP ought to start somewhere around PIII 500Mhz or equivilant AMD processor, and at least 128, if not 256MB of RAM. The peripherals all oughtta be no more than a couple years old -vintage late 2001 or newer, and the important apps oughtta be versions of about the same age, if one wants the migration to be relatively painless ... and still, that's no guarantee. All in all, for most folks, who really haven't spent lots of time and money upgunning the hardware and software of a 4 or 5 year-old 'puter, and who's 'puter needs are more or less mainstream, I'd say a keep your monitor and stuff like your printer, scanner, camera, and the like, if they're XP compatible, with available driver updates and patches and so forth, and just buy a current machine, with XP already installed. Strip off the monitor and the other add-ons, and lots of nice options are out there for not a lot of bucks. Sometimes I think folks jump to a new OS thinking its gonna solve problems or resolve issues that really are native to the machine in question, not its operating system. I think just about any machine that came with ME, or with 2K, would likely upgrade just fine, but a lot of '9x machines just don't pack the gear to make the switch, or at least to make the switch worthwhile. Many do, for sure, but lots don't.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:29 am
Huh?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:40 am
We wuz just debatin' whether ya need a new operatin' system or a whole new 'puter, 'Boita. We'll let ya know what we come up with :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:14 am
You also gonna come up with the money? My computer was free--put together from parts by my friend's son. I'm poor. I would fork over the fifty bucks, if if would help me do my work.

Never did find out what a nag screen is.
0 Replies