I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

ekename

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 07:15 am
@mushin,
Welcome Mushin.

seems, being, though, affected

"The illusion we are reborn into" is a delusion because physical rebirth is patently absurd which means the interpretation of the teachings are affected to the extent that impossible drivel can't cut the mustard coloured cow.
mushin

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:41 pm
@ekename,
hi ekename thanks for replying, been new and still learning so it's nice coming across fellow seekers that you can kick a idea around with. I've never really chatted to others much about there journey's on the spiritual path. Even thou I became a Buddhist at quite a early age over 40 years now, it's only been in the last couple of months that I've actually started talking to fellow Buddhists. Well ekename your the first person I've spoke to on this site and I hope we bump into each other again soon bless you Mushin.
0 Replies

igm

Sat 20 Jan, 2018 05:34 pm
@mushin,
mushin wrote:

There is one question thou I would be interested in your opinion on and that's the illusion we are reborn into and how it may have effected the interpretation's of those teachings

Welcome! If we are born with the causes and conditions to meet with an authentic Buddhist teacher who holds an unbroken lineage of authentic Buddhist teachings, then we should listen to those teachings and reflect on their meaning and then meditate in the way prescribed by that teacher.

We should check our understanding of those teachings, based on the activities of hearing, reflecting and meditating, with our Buddhist teacher. In this way we should be able to progress along the path to the realization that there is no path, enlightenment was here all along.
coluber2001

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 01:02 pm
@igm,
Quote:
In this way we should be able to progress along the path to the realization that there is no path, enlightenment was here all along.

That's the statement of a true
mystic.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 04:43 am
@igm,
In answer to the original post.Buddhism only practices inward meditation and is therefore biased/unbalanced. There is such a thing as outward meditation also.
htam9876

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 04:21 pm
菩提本无树,
明镜亦非台。
本来无一物,
何处惹尘埃。
阿弥陀佛
0 Replies

Jasper10

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 01:53 am
@Jasper10,
One can practice inward meditation but one needs to practice outward meditation as well.Just practicing inward meditation dismantles self hence why Buddhism says there is no self.
0 Replies

igm

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 10:32 am
@Jasper10,
Your premise is incorrect therefore your conclusion is also incorrect.
Jasper10

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 10:41 am
@igm,
My conclusion is not incorrect…Buddhism dismantles self….period.
Jasper10

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 10:42 am
@igm,
Not a practice to pursue..You are not consciousness
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 12:43 pm
@igm,
Welcome back anyway.
Albuquerque

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 02:11 pm
@Jasper10,
No phenomenology of self is dismantled in Buhdism only the Ontology of it.
And even then phenomena are just as legitimate as Ontic states.
While an Ontic state is final and cannot by questioned any further a phenomena is contingent and can be explained by something else that precedes it.

But then again what precedes or proceeds from what is not that important in a 4D spacetime perspective where Causality is itself perceived as a phenomena.
In the end all that we have is PERFECT correlation!
The Anointed

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 07:22 pm
@igm,
Quote:
I can't comment however, on why some other Buddhists, sometimes contradict the Buddha's teachings, leading to actions that may appear to be wrong.

Do you mean like the following?

Jesus and Buddha are both said to have been born of a pure virgin, honoured by heavenly beings at their birth, prayed to by Kings, and loaded with presents, ’ happy is the whole world sing the gods, under the form of young Brahmins at the birth of the child Buddha.

And it is said over and over again in the Chinese books that Buddha was incarnate of the Holy Spirit, and born of a ‘pure virgin’. It is written also in the Lalita Vistara, ‘the legendary biography of Buddha,’ dating from BEFORE the time of Christ, “For he is indeed born who brings salvation, and will establish the world in blessedness. He is born who will darken sun and moon by the splendor of his merits and will put all darkness to flight. The blind see, the deaf hear, the demented are restored to reason.” A. Drews, The Christ Myth, P. 104.
maxdancona

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 07:46 pm
@The Anointed,
Buddhists (just like Christians) can be incredibly barbaric. Buddhist, acting in the name of Buddhism, have been racist and violent... including the murder of unarmed refugees.

That is what I think about when I read igm's post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 09:24 pm
The guy starts a thread out of a benevolent desire to please some posters on another thread. He kindly offered to answer questions about his beliefs re Buddhism. And half the responders jump his case. Odd and sad.
maxdancona

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 09:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
That awfully hypocritical, Edgar.

When someone starts a thread out of a "benevolent desire" to spread the word of Jesus, people jump all over them. The Buddhists are here to spread their religion, same as the Christians. And Buddhism has the same moral failings that Christianity has.

Why should Buddha Thumpers get better treatment than the Bible Bashers?
The Anointed

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 09:46 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Why should Buddha Thumpers get better treatment than the Bible Bashers?

You forgot to mention the biblical ignorant atheist god bashers.
edgarblythe

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 09:55 pm
@The Anointed,
Speaking for a person trying to do good. He offered to explain after a conversation on another thread. You people treat him like Elmer Gantry or Billy Sunday. I have no use for his religion any more than yours. I never would have read his posts beyond the first few and still haven't.
maxdancona

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 10:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Speaking for a person trying to do good. He offered to explain after a conversation on another thread. You people treat him like Elmer Gantry or Billy Sunday. I have no use for his religion any more than yours. I never would have read his posts beyond the first few and still haven't.

And how do you treat the Christians here, Edgar?

Maybe "Annointed" can answer that for us.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 14 Aug, 2021 10:11 pm
Buddhism is not a Western religion. It doesn't really fit with our culture. We appropriated it (not that there is anything wrong with that).

But there is a weird fetishism surrounding Buddhism, as if it is the one religion out of all of the world religions that shouldn't be questioned.