I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 08:24 pm
Quote:
Thread title: I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so..

Yes mate I'd like to ask what Buddhism can offer that Jesus can't?
Krumple

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 08:26 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

nirvana

JLNobody

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 10:53 pm
@Krumple,
Romeo, I suspect that Jesus was telling his followers something very mystical, not what Paul and those who used Jesus as a miraculous basis for the founding of a church. " Christ" is their invention. Jesus may be said to have pointed the way (to Nirvana) and instead we sucked his finger for comfort.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 02:51 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Yoga, tantric sex.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 06:43 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
I personally don't see the point in asking or debating weather or not buddhism is a religion or not. To me it is irrelevant.

It's not always about you.

Krumple wrote:
according to dictionary.com

Yeah, that's a pretty bad definition. But then dictionary definitions typically describe how words are used, they don't go into any theological complexities. Those definitions, therefore, are of limited utility in this type of discussion.

Krumple wrote:
So what is the point in asking?

Well, there may be no point in asking you. There are, however, some Buddhists who apparently are convinced that Buddhism isn't a religion. Those Buddhists, I imagine, would disagree with you that there's no point in asking the question.
Krumple

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:42 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Krumple wrote:
I personally don't see the point in asking or debating weather or not buddhism is a religion or not. To me it is irrelevant.

It's not always about you.

Krumple wrote:
according to dictionary.com

Yeah, that's a pretty bad definition. But then dictionary definitions typically describe how words are used, they don't go into any theological complexities. Those definitions, therefore, are of limited utility in this type of discussion.

Krumple wrote:
So what is the point in asking?

Well, there may be no point in asking you. There are, however, some Buddhists who apparently are convinced that Buddhism isn't a religion. Those Buddhists, I imagine, would disagree with you that there's no point in asking the question.

As I suspected you didn't bother to understand anything I said. Do I need to repeat it? It does not matter to me what you call buddhism. Or did you just want to ignore that I said that? So you can make up nonsense? You are the one who insistently needs to demand that a certain definition, which was your WHOLE motivation for asking. Since I didn't answer how you WANTED you had to invent this idea that I think buddhism is a religion. No it does not matter to me what you call it. It is completely irrelevant. But you will probably ignore everything I said here again and fabricate a different position which I do not hold.
joefromchicago

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 08:34 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
As I suspected you didn't bother to understand anything I said. Do I need to repeat it?

No, please don't. I'm sure such energetic evasion is as tiring for you as it is tiresome for me. As I noted, you're clearly not the person to ask the question. You think it's irrelevant and uninteresting. Why you keep responding, then, is something of a mystery. My last post was intended primarily for others who might actually have something useful to contribute, not for you. There is, consequently, no need for you to insist that you have no interest in answering. I got it, I understood, and I hereby absolve you from any obligation you may feel you have to continue responding to my posts.
Krumple

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:38 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Is Buddhism a religion?

My over all point was to reveal to yourself that you have an ulterior motive for asking the question. You honestly don't care what the answer is which is why you attack me. You don't like my response because it is not the answer you were expecting.

Who asks a question and then attacks the person who answers it? Clearly you don't care about what the answer would be and it is obvious at this time that you wouldn't care what anyone had to say. Your motivation for asking is clear to me.
joefromchicago

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:47 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
My over all point was to reveal to yourself that you have an ulterior motive for asking the question.

What gave you that idea? It's a question that came up in a discussion that Thomas and I had in another thread. I asked it here because this thread is ostensibly a place where Buddhists answer questions about Buddhism. If I had known it was a place where Buddhists avoid answering questions about Buddhism, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Krumple wrote:
You honestly don't care what the answer is which is why you attack me.

How did I attack you?

Krumple wrote:
Who asks a question and then attacks the person who answers it?

Sponge-Bob Square-Pants?
Krumple

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:55 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
If I had known it was a place where Buddhists avoid answering questions about Buddhism, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Who avoided answering the question? You honestly think I avoided it? So where is this person who "avoided" answering the question? You have a knack for making up your own reality which is not reality.

joefromchicago

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 02:51 pm
@Krumple,
WHY ARE YOU STILL TALKING?
Krumple

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 03:05 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

WHY ARE YOU STILL TALKING?

Yep just as I figured.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 07:16 pm
Quote:
JLNobody said: Romeo, I suspect that Jesus was telling his followers something very mystical, not what Paul and those who used Jesus as a miraculous basis for the founding of a church. " Christ" is their invention. Jesus may be said to have pointed the way (to Nirvana) and instead we sucked his finger for comfort.

Not sure I know what you're getting at mate, all I know is that true christians have an inner peace, strength and fearlessness , it shows in their eyes..Smile

"My Christian faith has been such a backbone through so many difficult times. For me Christianity is about being strengthened"- Bear Grylls
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/b-grrylls.gif

"God makes His reality so obvious to us in His creation and in the little mini-miracles that happen everyday"- Becky St. James
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/chr-wom3_zps84bd548a.jpg~original

"To look out at this kind of creation out here and not believe in God is to me impossible, it just strengthens my faith"- John Glenn
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/John-Glenn_zps2f7c8414.jpg~original
JLNobody

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 09:24 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Are "true" Christians true because they enjoy inner peace or do they have inner peace because they are true Christians?
Wilso

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 10:06 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Are "true" Christians true because they enjoy inner peace or do they have inner peace because they are true Christians?

Never seen a "true" christian on A2K. Truth is, I've never actually met one. I seriously doubt that any exist.
JLNobody

Thu 3 Apr, 2014 11:31 pm
@Wilso,
I think I understand: To be a Christian is not simply to believe something or to belong to a Church; it is to live up to the very high ethical standards taught by Jesus. I do think I have known some persons who meet those standards, a well known example might be the novelist/mystic/philosopher Aldous Huxley--and he did not claim to be a Christian.
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 12:33 am
Quote:
JLNobody said:I think I understand: To be a Christian is not simply to believe something or to belong to a Church; it is to live up to the very high ethical standards taught by Jesus. I do think I have known some persons who meet those standards, a well known example might be the novelist/mystic/philosopher Aldous Huxley--and he did not claim to be a Christian

Jesus doesn't want mindless robots who simply go through the motions, he wants MATES like he said-
"You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends" (John 15:15)

He wants us to MINDMELD with him to get him and God into our heads-
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-meld_zps86861c7d.jpg~original

Then when our bodies die, our souls automatically fly to him through the 'Jesus Stargate' like he said- "Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it,but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."(Matt 7:13)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/stargate-blu_zps3a68d5bd.jpg~original
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 12:49 am
Quote:
Wilso said: Never seen a "true" christian on A2K. Truth is, I've never actually met one. I seriously doubt that any exist.

Everybody's got their own idea of what a "true Christian" really is.
I think a good definition of one is "somebody you wouldn't mind spending eternity with"
I've met plenty of so-called "christians" but I'd only want to spend eternity with about one in every hundred.
If the other 99% are going to heaven, I swear to God I don't want to go, and they feel the same way about me, for example a 'Reverend Eric Potts' once said to me "you disgust me"..Smile

PS- Potts is not a real clergyman anyway, he's just a jumped-up 'Assistant Methodist Minister', my bet is he's the caretaker of their local meeting hall and they bestowed that lofty title on him in recognition of the good work he does slopping out their latrines..Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 12:54 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

--and he did not claim to be a Christian.

Those who proclaim the loudest are generally the biggest arseholes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Fri 4 Apr, 2014 10:04 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

He wants us to MINDMELD with him to get him and God into our heads-
"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

Romeo, this serves as a great metaphorical essence of Jesus' MYSTICAL message. Buddhist "enlightenment" is like this "mindmeld" process (and Spock is His prophet).
I (and you) and the Father are one.
0 Replies