I am a Buddhist and if anyone wants to question my beliefs then they are welcome to do so...

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 4 Oct, 2013 03:11 pm
Another example of how humans are far superior to computers is that if i see a nice lady walking down the street, I switch on immediately with no delay as all my circuits activate!
My heart rate skyrockets, I break out in a hot sweat, feel compelled to write romantic poetry to her, and strange things begin happening in my trousers all in a nanosecond..Smile
JLNobody

Fri 4 Oct, 2013 03:23 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
What are you saying, that you are in some ways FASTER than computers?
izzythepush

Fri 4 Oct, 2013 03:46 pm
@JLNobody,
Robots do that to.

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Fri 4 Oct, 2013 03:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Wow, a nanosecond. Just how did you measure that response time?
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 5 Oct, 2013 12:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
It's a good thing you're not married. Your wife would beat the $%^& out of you. BTW, if you have that much passion, Paul recommends you marry. (1 Corinthians 7:9) Why haven't you?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 5 Oct, 2013 06:00 pm
Neologist wrote:
Quote:
Paul recommends you marry. (1 Corinthians 7:9) Why haven't you?

Go back and read chapter 7 in context mate and you'll see he begins with-
“It is good for a man NOT to have sexual relations with a woman"
and then goes on to say people can marry IF they want to..Smile
Personally I never wanted to get married or be a family man, and I haven't had sex for 11 years, but it doesn't bother me in the least.
I guess we holy men are above such mundane earthly matters..Smile

Romeo Fabulini: "He swings big, he hits big"
http://imageshack.us/a/img51/7025/zu1s.jpg
IRFRANK

Sun 6 Oct, 2013 04:31 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I guess we old men are above such activity.
JLNobody

Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:58 pm
@IRFRANK,
Speak for yourself, IR. My only concern is that it could kill me, not that I'm indifferent to it.
Instead of saying that I'm above such activity, I nust confess that I'm below it.
JLNobody

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:25 am
@JLNobody,
Or, more accurately: Not always up to it. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:33 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
"Truth seekers" who look to screen plays or novels are not engaged in seeking the truth--they are wasting their time.

I would say that depends on what they are seeking truth about.

I wouldn't turn to Shakespeare for a biological lesson on the human heart, but if I was seeking some truth about myself, I might find it reflected in his words.
JLNobody

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:59 am
@Cyracuz,
Excellent!
I was wondering why you were absent from our activity. You were waiting for something worthwhile to say. This was it. I was making gross confessions just to have something to say...couldn't think of anything worthwhile.
Cyracuz

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 11:12 am
@JLNobody,
Honestly, JL, I returned to the forum a few days ago after a long absence. It's always been like that. I'm active, then I disappear for months. But as of yet, I've always come back. Smile

But I did not find your comments gross.
JLNobody

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 12:57 pm
@Cyracuz,
Good.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 05:34 pm
@JLNobody,
I was being facetious. And for myself.
JLNobody

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:38 pm
@IRFRANK,
Me too. Sort of.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:47 pm
From the OP:
Quote:
I can't comment however, on why some other Buddhists, sometimes contradict the Buddha's teachings, leading to actions that may appear to be wrong.

The Buddha's teachings were for the Buddha. I think his most profound message is that you should be your own teacher, and find your own teachings. I think that is why so many Buddhists contradict or even flat out disregard the teachings of the Buddha.

You are meant to grow out of Buddhism. You are meant to become the spring of your own religion, so to speak. The best way, perhaps the only way, to come to understand attachments is to suffer them.
JLNobody

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:40 pm
@Cyracuz,
Bingo!
Buddhism is not just another doctrine--or at least it is far more than one.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:10 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
The Buddha's teachings were for the Buddha. I think his most profound message is that you should be your own teacher, and find your own teachings

In that case we don't need Buddha..Wink

JLNobody

Tue 8 Oct, 2013 09:39 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Absolutely true. No need for Buddha or Buddhism IF you can and will openly/honestly/patiently examine your own experience.
Frank Apisa

Tue 8 Oct, 2013 10:03 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Absolutely true. No need for Buddha or Buddhism IF you can and will openly/honestly/patiently examine your own experience.

And if you are willing to accept that what you "experience" may be illusionary...you will be in dynamite shape without the Buddha, without Buddhism, and without kidding yourself that you truly know anything about REALITY other than that you appear to be "experiencing" something.

Not being a wise-ass here, JL...just modifying where you were going a bit.