Why does my facebook pop up on unrelated sites?

Pitter

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 07:23 pm
I have a facebook page that I established with a gmail account. Lately I have opened pages unrelated to that email address (and while being signed out of google) such as Dropbox after signing in to yahoo and a little icon with my facebook profile picture appears with the offer to sign in with facebook. Why do yahoo and other other pages supposedly not connected to google know about my gmail account and connect to my facebook page? Is it information gleaned from my ISPN?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 07:52 pm
@Pitter,
Because Big Brother is watching you. Beware.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 11:10 pm
@Pitter,
Because most sites use cookies to 'enhance your browsing pleasure'.

It's not much of a stretch for Yahoo or whoever to search for a google cookie to extract your id from it.

If you're really keen you could always use incognito windows (after flushing cache and cookies) when access your gmail account.

I've got to the stage where I actually use different browsers for different identities. So Chrome for anonymous me, Firefox for work me, Safari for personal me. Gets confusing having multiple twitter, facebook and google accounts as well. - Grabinbox helped a bit with that.
Pitter

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:01 pm
@hingehead,
Thank you that explains it. Good ideas for privacy too.
0 Replies