Which of the following Religious Books do you read the most?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 09:47 am
QKid wrote:
Frank:
Dont tell me that u are really going to argue on what these verses are talking about. It is so clear. Ignorance must be bliss. And yes it does coincide to what we know today. Tell me which part of these verses does not coincide with our knowledge of science today. You dont have to take my word for it about the Dr. Keith Moore thing. Go look it up on your own. Look at his biography. He is not a "phony" as u put it.

Kid...you are being taken for a ride here.

There is nothing in those verses that says anything like what you are pretending they are saying.

And Dr. Keith Moore is an idiot if he is saying that they do.

If you want to live the pretence -- do so. I wish you the best with it.

But if you intend to argue these points here on the Internet, you'd better come equipped with a lot more than the baloney you are trying to pass of as filet mignon here.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:21 pm
I've read the new testament, and am fairly familiar with it. The old testament just doesn't do it for me. I hope that's not offensive to anyone, but it doesn't seem to have any truth in it that people can't figure out for themselves. I'm also pretty familiar with the Book of Mormon, which I have read the most, but lately I've been in the bible more frequently. Haven't read the others.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:14 pm
Q Kid,

On one point you are absolutely correct. Ignorance IS bliss, at least until reality intervenes.

Ignorance of the sciences of physics, economics, psychology indeed prepares one to accept the world as one finds it.

Of course those who are not ignorant of these things may live a little better Exclamation

Forgive me if My personal preference for a warm place to sleep, healthy children, and a comfortable retirement precludes my remaining ignorant although if I divorced existence from facts I would be happier no doubt. This would be Fantastic, and I would live in a fantasy world. Should I still be alive, that is Exclamation
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:17 pm
Quote:
Which of the Religious Books do you read the most?

The Big Book
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:19 pm
It is true, though, that ignorance is bliss, since once you realize that you're doing something stupid you are no longer ignorant. Ignorance is the blissful breeze that caresses you when you jump from an airplane without a parachute.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:33 pm
As for which religious book I read the most? I'm pretty fond of the Dragonlance series... but I guess that's not really as religious as, say... the bible.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:39 pm
I like to reads books by krishnamurti, Alan Watts, and Joseph Campbell. When I'm desperate I'll read a Zen koan like, "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" In a few minutes I start running around in a circle, going "woo, woo, woowoo, woowoowoowoowoo, stop and run my hands down my face several times, ala Curly. This seems to make more sense than reading the approved holy books.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:40 pm
And in the end it gets you more excercize, which is pretty admirable in itself.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:35 pm
one persons door stop is anothers pablum is anothers bible..........
0 Replies

hail

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 03:30 am
For me i always read Quran ....
I really feel so comfortable when i read it .....
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:09 am
I recommend to those who are in a spiritual flux, spliritual quest, or questioning their religion to read Josaph Campbell's "The Power of Myth." this book contains, more or less, the original dialogue between Campbell and Bill Moyers that has been presented on the PBS series of the same name.

Campbell shows that, though it's difficult to take your own religious myths and symbols other than in a literal sense, by studying the religious myths of other cultures one can understand the underlying metaphorical sense of, not only the myths of the other cultures, but the myths of your own religion as well.

After all, the human condition is universal, therefore the myths of diverse cultures are describing the same things. Taking myths literally has perplexed young people educated in the modern world. They must choose between taking the myths literally and rejecting science or vice versa. So they choose science and "throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Campbell shows that there is no conflict whatsoever between religion and science if the religious myths are taken as poetry and pointers to human mystical experience.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:40 am
Another book I would recommend would be MAD Magazine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:43 am
Frank- Agree. There are plenty of philosophical and social gems to be found in that publication. Alfred E. Neumann rules!!!!
0 Replies

bradley dr20

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:23 pm
Re: mongers list
babsatamelia wrote:

You can choose a path
no one before you has ever trod,
this is a dangerous way, a real
way, an honest search and
worth its weight in gold.

The problem is, where does it end? The search is not the point. The answer is.
0 Replies

bradley dr20

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:36 pm
Re: The best book
QKid wrote:
Definitely the best book is the Qur'an. It is so because it is the exact words of God Almighty (in the Arabic ofcourse). Also there is too many proofs in it which brought me to it.

Interesting. That's exactly what I say about the Bible. In fact, I would think that's what most people would say about the holy book they adhere to.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:43 pm
Check it out, everyone is an opportunist when it comes to religion:

http://www.warzonewinner.com/
0 Replies

christer1

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:12 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
I've read the Bible cover to cover over 5 times and read passages from it every day in addition to extensive memorization until I decided it was predominantly drivel.

I have read portions of the other books listed but the hogwash is tiresome.

Even the "Lord's Prayer?"

Admittedly, I don't read any religious books, because I find them to be all drivel. All authorized by man, for man (and many parts discriminatory against women).

c.i.
sorry for inturuptin this box but defenetly i read the bible and i have no clue what the heck the other books are so there ha! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Embarrassed
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:58 pm
Religious Books
So, sue me, I am a bibliophile. The eye was attracted to the word "books" for my first post.

I am currently learning Hilchos Teshuva by the Rambam (the Laws of Repentence by Maimonides) and Tractate Avodah Zerah (Idol Worship) which is one of the "books" of the Talmud which is, by the way, considered Torah by religious Jews.
The Torah is specifically the first five books of Moses, as previously mentioned but, for religious Jews, it is also the Tanach; the Talmud; and much, much more - many, many "commentaries."

The world seems to consider "the DaVinci Code" a religious book. I read that. It's not. But, it is a fun read.

I try to keep up with the Koran to attempt to understand what the heck the radical Islamic death cultists are up to and where they source their material from...

Some of my past favorites have been: the New Testament; Bhagavad Gita; the Upanishads; books on Tibetan Buddhism (Trunga Rinpoche?); the Tai Chi Chuan writings of Master Cheng; Gurdjieff; Ouspensky; Maurice Nicoll; Rodney Collins; Swedenborg; Balzac; the Brother's Grimm; Shakespeare; Homer and Aristophanes.
All profoundly religious in different ways.

If I delve back far enough, I seem to recall that I did read everything Alan Watts wrote and I made my own religion out of "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein (science fiction, but very religious, as it was...)

I enjoyed the MU books and Baba Ram Dass (Richard Alpert).

I am sure there are more, but the brain cells are not willing...

Nowadays, I tend to study Torah. A lot... Smile
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:43 pm
Hey Frank Apisa

There's an Arabic proverb that says:
"Man is an enemy of what he ignores"

For your hopless case and ignorant naive arrogance, I really recommend this site:
http://www.answering-christianity.com/sci_quran.htm

:wink:
0 Replies

MaD c0w

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:48 pm
I read the book of the atheist...
0 Replies