temperature

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 12:27 am
why the temprature of the room does not acceed when our fan presses the air molecules?the K.E of the molecule increases,so temp should increases.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,033 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 10:30 am
@phsicsboy,
It probably does, Boy, but not significantly

I suspect waste heat of blower motor would far exceed any effect of compression
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2013 11:20 am
@phsicsboy,
The room temperature does increase when you turn on a fan (very slightly). Did you believe otherwise?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2013 11:20 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Did you believe otherwise?
Boy's q does seem to suggest he might be mistaken in the effect of pressure upon temp

In fact I seem to recall that once compressed the air does indeed return to its former lower temp so I'm wondering if this is what motivates his uncertainty
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 09:31 am
It's a fairly straightforward phenomenon. If you compress a gas then the heat energy that was contained in the previous volume is now contained in a smaller volume thusly raising the temp of the smaller volume. If you now allow the smaller volume to cool and then allow it to expand it will be cooler than the previous small volume was.

Air conditioners and heat pumps use this. Its more efficient to use a refergerant gas (easily liquified) to do this.
0 Replies