PRESSURE

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 09:37 am
why the atompheric gasses molecules don't go into the space?because molecules spreads into all the room if we place a "vacume room" against it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 530 • Replies: 5
No top replies

raprap

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 08:01 pm
@phsicsboy,
entropy

Rap
0 Replies

tomr

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 09:38 pm
@phsicsboy,
It is gravity that keeps gas molecules close to the Earth surface. The atmosphere has varying pressures at different elevations due to gravity. The same effect is seen in bodies of water. The deeper you go the greater the pressure. Molecules of gas can be found hundreds of miles away from the surface of the Earth but out there the gas is very thin. So the gravity of the Earth is what is fighting the tendency of the vacuum to suck the gas away.

The seemingly random motions of molecules are what actually drives these particles to go into areas of lower pressures like a vacuum. The lower pressure areas are areas which have less molecules in them. So the molecules do not collide with each other and there is nothing to stop their inertia.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 3 Aug, 2013 10:36 pm
Right. It's gravity.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 10:42 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Right. It's gravity.
I can't understand why anyone would doubt it. I suppose there's an esl problem of some sort; Eg, "vacume room"

What on Earth
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 12:55 pm
It's why the smaller moons have already lost most of their atmospheres, unless they are very cold. Heat boils it off if gravity doesn't hold it down.
0 Replies