The Golden Globe Winners 2002

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 11:28 pm
golden globes
Diane, I quit taking Ginko Biloba (or balboa?) some time ago with the result that I can't recall the movie very clearly. Not only that, but I'm now confusing it with the Monsters' Ball (both with Billy Bob Thornton, a superb actor). What I remember is what impressed me the most (understandably). The main character, the man who wasn't there, passed through life without engaging it. Life just happened to him, and he bore it passively, ending up swept into the electric chair. He was not a bad or a good man, just an absent and non-responsible man. The film score was mostly, as I recall, a solo piano piece, a Beethoven Sonata, which was very appropriate given that the movie itself had the pace and tone of a quiet sonata. It was a work of poetry. See it and then correct me. JLN
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 11:59 am
A film noir, black comedy, "The Man Who Wasn't There" is the Cohn Brother's pantheon to the ordinary man and how extraordinary things can happen to them. Link:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0243133
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 10:04 pm
JLN, your description was enough for me to rent it, then LW's link clinched the deal. Thanks to both of you.
Company this weekend, maybe on Monday.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 10:26 pm
globe awards
Diane, good. Let me (us) know what you think of it.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 01:02 am
I remember thinking: "Shirley McClaine,Helen Mirren,Vanessa Redgrave, this winner is going to be anybady but Uma Thurman." Sure enough, the next words I heard were "Uma Thurman" Embarrassed
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:32 am
Thurman's performance in "Hysterically Blind" was reminiscent of the work in "Pulp Fiction," but she's even more into the character.
I thought it was between her and Vanessa. I'm sure it was close.

Richard Gere's turn as the slick and oily lawyer was more proof he can do comedy -- he and Rene Zellwigger were great in their scenes together.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 12:40 pm
Hi. I watched the Golden Globes and now I want to see all of the movies nominated. Laughing I'm most anxious to see Hours. I enjoyed Nicholson's enthusiasm as the winners were presented with their awards. And, I also liked Gene Hackman's acceptance speech, but that's diverting from the subject here. I think the Oscars will be a toss-up between Chicago and Hours.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 02:22 pm
"Chicago" being a musical, might have an uphilll battle in the Oscars.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:47 pm
Well, perhaps with "Moulin Rouge" last year as a nomination and musicals when they are very well done have fared well with the Academy may shoo it in. Just accomplishing bring a Broadway musical to the screen with this kind of directorial skill (and the director's first film) may be impressive to the Academy voters.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 03:53 pm
Plus, "Chicago", has a lot more big names than "Moulin Rouge", so that might help the uphill battle, and push it over the top.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:00 pm
I'd put money on The Hours for Best Picture at the Oscars! (although I loved Chicago...)
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:08 pm
I have not seen "Chicago," but can't wait 'til it gets to town. The critical popularity of both "Moulin Rouge" and "Chicago" might lead one to hope that perhaps the musical film genre is about to have a renaissance.

Richard Gere's heretofore best work was probably done years ago with his breakout role opposite Diane Keaton in "Looking for Mr. Goodbar." This man has been a "star" for decades, and I'm glad to see him recognized for something on a level higher than cinematic testosterone.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:36 pm
WH,
...Hell of a coincidence. I'm at this minute watching "Final Analysis", with Gere in it, and thinking, "I believe this guy has been under-appreciated all these years, by me and others." On thinking back, I really like him in everything I see him in. My favorite, is "Internal Affairs". He plays a real smooth but nasty guy, in that one.
0 Replies