mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 06:55 pm
@Logicus,
Birds of prey don't.
Wild ones, that is.
Logicus

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 07:01 pm
@mark noble,
It was a figure of speech. Relativists think alike, so they work together to convince others that a universal Truth is not real.
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 07:35 pm
@Logicus,
I don't 'work' to 'convince' anyone of anything.
Logicus

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:41 pm
@mark noble,
But you believe their main statement?
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:41 pm
@Logicus,
No.
Logicus

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:47 pm
@mark noble,
About truth being what the individual decides?
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:53 pm
@Logicus,
I prefer to call it 'believes'.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:08 pm
@Logicus,
Is this OP about power in the abstract or about certain kinds of power, i.e., political, social, mechanical, economic, ideological, etc.? How about some boundaries.
neologist

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:46 pm
@JLNobody,
True. I enjoyed Power Lifting in my younger days. I was OK at it, too
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 01:38 pm
@JLNobody,
Power in the abstract.
0 Replies

Kayceenaz

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 08:53 am
@Logicus,
@Logicus,I must really commend your sense of reasoning.You just brought into view a philosophical problem which is often overlooked and regarded as peripheral.Power,as it is understood to be,is the capacity to influence the behaviour of others.I concur with you when you assert that ''real power'' is embedded in immortality.Actually,this is where Plato's doctrine of forms comes in.The power,we humans strive to acquire and tenaciously hold onto,can be rightly called duplicated power because it is limited and incessantly responds to the clarion call of change in its possession.Real power,basically,is not within our grasp;it transcends our understanding thus leaving us obfuscated and bewildered.The real power could probably be existing in Plato's world of ideas,where the archetypes or original resides.However,this engenders the idea of a Supreme Being,who is immutable,omni-potent,indestructible;GOD.Hence,the ''real power'' is GOD and GOD is the ''real power.''
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:33 am
@Kayceenaz,
Its all well but you would have to clarify that such a GOD is very different from the Biblical personnel one you probably intend to justify...first of all is an abstract entity and one that has no way of changing is own nature and thus the nature of everything...such a God is dead for action purposes...TRUTH is something that cannot be changed...the all history of reality the all future is done n written..."God" can do nothing about it or about himself as the whole of reality it must be...in fact although the abstract source of reason/ratio/order it cannot even think or emote about nothing...it has no needs or desires if the source of everything and out of time...its a DEAD "creature"...an abstract place holder. I also bet you don't have a clue about what I am talking about or you would jump the coinage "GOD" altogether...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 09:45 am
Metaphysically speaking there is only one honest thing to be said about true power...it can't be changed and it is no one's possession...in fact the true power of natural law resides precisely in the lack of power to change anything. Power is powerless !

(...In less mystical terms n clarifying the apparent contradiction Power Is/MUST be timeless !...)
Logicus

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 10:29 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Interesting point. Maybe that is why wars have happened, because people truly believe that they can have absolute power over others. Even so, I do believe that there are degrees of powers.
0 Replies

Kayceenaz

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 04:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Deism! Deism! Deism! The idea propounded by this school of thought,which is explicitly depicted in Isaac Newton's assertion "that the universe is a machine set in motion by God but He(GOD) does not interfere."It is erroneous to think along such line.Why? Obviously,because a car engineer still carries out some maintenance on the car even after constructing it and making it able to hit the road.He can even destroy his work,the car,if he feels it is no longer useful.Similarly,the supposed abstract Supreme Being has the undiluted power to create and destroy.''Real power'' is one of the essences of the Supreme Being(GOD),which enables Him to retain His nature,produce things(including man as His duplicate) and consequently affect their nature whenever he deems fit.Evidently,we humans are something and not nothing thus implying that we emanated from something(GOD).This something fashioned us and will continually affect us whether we like it or not or admit it or not.
mark noble

Reply Sun 28 Jul, 2013 05:30 pm
@Kayceenaz,
Are you implying that once an event is set in motion it can be interacted with?
If so, try annuling a nuclear explosion post-detonation.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 04:04 am
@Kayceenaz,
As I thought you totally missed the point...I am not saying God is distinct of the Universe nor I am implying the Universe itself is material....I am saying Reality as a whole is itself a timeless abstract object a set in 4D space/time (reducible to 1D) which probable loops in its ratio of events. If you want to say something sensible please address my metaphysical points about the nature of God instead of totally bypassing the arguments with easy minded metaphors.
0 Replies

Kayceenaz

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:14 am
@marknoble,even a supposed hazardous nuclear detonated explosion wouldn't be an arduos task for GOD to quell or interfer with.We humans may not be able to stop such because our powers,like I said earlier on,both physical and scientific/intellectual are limited.GOD'S omni-potent nature is unchallengeable and unlimited.Infact,power is one of His essences.@fil,if you say God is not distinct from nature or existing things,then you will be dwelling in implicit pantheism.It would be more preferable to say that GOD transcends nature;likewise His unlimited power.
Logicus

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 01:30 pm
Theists vs Atheist happening, I think.
0 Replies