Display Properties on Desktop

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:44 am
I can't seem to get the desktop to give me the display properties so that I can change the color bit or anything. I accidently changed the background picture and now have the right picture but it's displayed at 256 bits. I need it higher. Everything is really dark and weird looking. I right click on the desktop and try to click Properties and nothing happens. Gives a flash of an hourglass and nothing. Please help, I can't stand this color it's hurting my eyes. Again I need the Display Properties dialog box.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,426 • Replies: 10
No top replies

caprice

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:35 am
I'm not an expert by far, but since no one has responded yet, I'll offer a couple of suggestions.

Open your Control Panel and click on the "Display" icon. If that opens up you should be able to access the properties from there.

If that doesn't open, try it in safe mode.

Sounds like something got mucked up. I assume you tried rebooting first?
0 Replies

RLLD

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:18 am
Video?
Have you tried updating the drivers via Dev Man??
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:58 am
Thanks Caprice and RLLD, it seems my Display icon is also missing in the Control Panel. A friend suggested it sounds like I've got a virus. And I don't know what a Dev Man is??
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
Does anyone know how and where I can find the Display info on my computer so that I may reinstall it?? I run windows 98. I seem to be missing the icon and can't change the pixels or color bits on my computer. Someone said a virus might have attacked it. But can't seem to find the virus. Please help!!!
0 Replies

RLLD

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 12:54 pm
yleecoyote26 wrote:
Does anyone know how and where I can find the Display info on my computer so that I may reinstall it?? I run windows 98. I seem to be missing the icon and can't change the pixels or color bits on my computer. Someone said a virus might have attacked it. But can't seem to find the virus. Please help!!!

1)Right Click on the My Computer Icon, then left click on properties.
2) If you have win2000, and I think you do, then select the hardware tab.
3) Click on the Device Manager button, find the entry for display adapters and expand it
4) Right click on the adapter itself, left click on properties, then click on the drivers tab
5) It is here that you will be able to update your video driver
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:37 pm
I did that and I am on Windows98SE. It didn't help. Said I am on the best one now. I need to restore the Display Control in the Control Panel. Or install a new one and I don't know how or where to look. I am basically at a stand still on what to do.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
Sounds like maybe your machine fogot what video adapter it has, or maybe it lost the drivers specific to your particular monitor, if ever there were such. In Device Manage, click the + sign next to Display Adapter to see the name of your adapter, then highlite the name and select "Properties". You should then see the make, model, and hardware version of the adapter. Then click on "Driver File Details" and see if the first-listed driver matches the make-and-model of your adapter. Do the same for your monitor. Let us know what you find.

I have a suspicion it might be worthwhile just to go to your display adapter's vendor website and download the latest 98SE drivers anyway ... might as well do that. Read and understand the download instructions and the driver installation instruction. Unless the vendor's instructions state otherwise (in which case, follow those instructions), download 'em, but don't install 'em yet ... just put 'em in a folder you can find easily. Make sure you can find that folder again before you move on to the next step. Go back to Device Manager>Hardware>Display Adapter, click-and-confirm "Remove". Reboot. Your screen likely will look horrible, but nevermind. Your machine will "find" the display adapter, and probably look for a driver. Don't let it search for install one on its own; choose "Have Disk" then "select from list"(or however its worded), click "Browse" next to the path box, navigate to and select the folder in which you stored your new driver, and click "OK". The new driver should install . Reboot. You should then be able to perform any adjustments your video adapter supports.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:03 am
Timberlandko---I checked the Device Manager and the Display Adapter did match what I have and said it was working properly. Hardware version was 106 Adapter is VIA Tech VT8361/VT8601 Graphics Controller. The monitor is FPD1530 and no hardware version available. No driver was required for the monitor. The man I bought the computer from (new) said he thinks a virus has hit my computer and he is willing to clean the harddrive and reinstall my Windows98SE, heck I might have him upgrade me to Windows2000. But I thought I would let you know what I found. Thanks alot. I think I will just let him clean it and I will start out fresh again.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:12 am
Starting fresh is often the best solution ... drastic, but effective. As long as the processor, memory configuration, and BIOS are up for it, once you're past the learning curve, you'll not regret migrating either to Win2K or Win XP Pro. Win98's days are numbered anyway.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:48 pm
Thanks to all for your help. Just wanted to say that I now have a new system. My computer guy cleaned my harddrive completely and I upgraded to Windows2000 Pro. But thanks to everyone for trying to help!!!
0 Replies