Oy vey, exams. Discuss.

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:29 pm
Just ran across this photo, which made me visualize anew my 3 day licensing exams in landscape architecture. Ah, something like 9% passed the first time. I was mostly good at exams when push came to shove (I thank the nun who treated them as a kind of game), but well I remember huge clutching anxiety before some of them.

I'm also famous to myself for leaving the one IQ test I ever took a page and a half early, as friends finished first and I wanted to go with them to get ice cream.
<snort>

Here's the photo that reminded me of all this:
Candidates applying for a place at the Medical University of Vienna wait to sit an exam in a hall of the fair grounds in Vienna. According to unofficial figures, almost 10,000 people are applying for the 700 places available. Photograph: Patrick Domingo/AFP/Getty Images

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/7/5/1373026485384/2fefbbfa-55bf-4ef0-806f-bef94bc03382-620x372.jpeg

Stories, stories, tell me exam stories.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,901 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 03:15 pm
The NY Bar exam is the only place I ever saw a line for the men's room.

I also saw someone in the next stall with papers. Not TP; these were study papers. Major freakin' ethical violation. I considered turning her in (as you're supposed to, per the Code of Professional Responsibility) but ultimately did not as (a) I probably would have invalidated everyone's exam, including my own, and then we'd all be forced to retake it (albeit not with a fail on our records except for Cheating Cheryl) and they would have lynched me and (b) I figured Cheating Cheryl was going to fail anyway.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:07 pm
@jespah,
I didn't pass all five testophilias the first time. I screwed up somehow on the easy one, the one I had straight a's on, about plants. I figure I planted a tree in the ocean or some damned fusseroo. Some automatic fail maneuver.

I remember the bathrooms...
this was in Orange County, California.

I saw a guy talk about the test on the way to handing it in. No one more brilliant, no kidding.
I took it as a social moment, which it was.

Ok, next year I passed, zip. Then I had to do the oral interview.
I lost body temp in the waiting room.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm just remembering that not too long later I was a judge on the construction drawings of the tests.

Sic transit gloria.
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 06:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I believe that phrase is" Sick Gloria, transits on Munday"
0 Replies

lillyandrew

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 04:33 am
@ossobuco,
Its great best of luck to all.
0 Replies