any programs can give pics more pixels?

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:00 pm
i have a cheap digital camera that only shots 640 pixel pics.
is there any programs that can make the pics larger and clearer?
thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 598 • Replies: 4
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:21 pm
cannot say for a fact - but if there were - we would not need higher megapixel cameras.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:24 pm
The short answer is no. However, there are some programs that can fake it in a way that make the pictures a bit clearer.

The problem is the information available. When the camera takes picture it simply records the color at each "pixel". So if the camera is 640 pixel by 640 pixel, it records the color for each of these 650X640 squares.

In the real world, things are broken up into little squares of color. So to take this 640X640 color the camera has to pick a color (either the color of most of the square or some type of average). There is no other way for the camera to do this.

The real colors (and I mean plural) in each part of the real world are lost forever in the picture.

So if you change the 640X640 picture to a 1280X1280 one what can you do? Each of the pixels now is filled with one color and what "should" be, or "would be" in a more detailed picture is lost (i.e. the information doesn't exist).

So the simple answer is no.

The simple way to expand a picture is to make the new pixels the same color as the original pixels around them. This leads to "pixelated" images that no one likes.

However most picture programs - including photoshop provide "filters" that make the pictures look less pixelated.

Filters are mathematical ways to make the expanded picture look smoother. These filters may notice that one group of pictures is one shade, and another group of pixels is another. Sometimes changing the pixels on the border to an in between color makes the picture a bit clearer.

Or, I should say, the picture will be less "pixelated". Usually these pictures look fuzzy to me.

When you take pictures on a cheap camera, the information simply isn't there to make a good picture that is very large.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:06 pm
i have photoshop.

can you tell me how to do it? thanks!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 12:36 pm
youngman, the short answer is to use a combination of the "Clone" feature and the "layering" feature. For the long answer, and the "how-to" nitty-gritty, consult PhotoShop's documentation.
0 Replies