Why not just Google instead

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:42 am
Why do so many OP's present a q that could so easily be resolved by a quick Googling

In partial answer it's been asserted that some countries, China for instance, delete postings that might be even slightly oriented against The Realm. But this doesn't explain why the typical a2k participant so often asks a q innocent of all politics, eg, the dining habits of a cricket

Ragman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 11:49 am
@dalehileman,
There are some who are plugging or spamming, some who are lazy, some who are not computer savvy enough to be aware of it or know how Google works. And then there are those who want others to do their work for them.
roger

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 12:11 pm
@Ragman,
Don't forget that on some types of question, an answer from someone with personal experience can point up more than The Mayo. If I wanted to know who makes the best hearing aid (for example) I would ask here. If I wanted to know how many counties in Florida went Republican in the last election, google comes into its own.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 03:03 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
There are some who are plugging or spamming,
I've often wondered Rag just how successfully

Quote:
some who are lazy,
Alas alack this one fits me to a tee when Googling and I'm faced with 34 million hits

Quote:
some who are not computer savvy enough to be aware of it or know how Google works.
Isn't it hard to believe that anyone could be so dormant, so comatose

Quote:
And then there are those who want others to do their work for them.
Alas alack, here's me again
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 03:06 pm
People often are looking to converse rather than simply garner information.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 03:10 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Don't forget that on some types of question, an answer from someone with personal experience can point up more than The Mayo.
That's often my own excuse for not first Googling. But so many q's are so much more successfully addressed by Googling, for instance the diet of an insect

Quote:
If I wanted to know who makes the best hearing aid (for example) I would ask here.
Is it your implication that the regulars are old fellas like me

Quote:
If I wanted to know how many counties in Florida went Republican in the last election, google comes into its own.
I can't deny that

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab&q=how+many+counties+in+Florida+went+Republican+in+the+last+election&oq=how+many+counties+in+Florida+went+Republican+in+the+last+election&gs_l=serp.12...4385.4385.0.5722.1.1.0.0.0.0.150.150.0j1.1.0...0.0...1c.2.18.psy-ab.9U-AgZVA-EA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=3ddc37ea7f65dc54&biw=1177&bih=753

Yet when I q the a2k asking how many others feel depressed in the morn before the first cup of coffee I get only one useful reply
Ragman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 04:18 pm
@dalehileman,
I find that I can never can usefully compare my own results (Googling or any 'net activity) with the public at large.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 10:19 am
@Ragman,
Rag come to think of it, neither can I
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 10:49 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Don't forget that on some types of question, an answer from someone with personal experience can point up more than The Mayo.

Here's a question: What do you mean by "The Mayo"? (And, yes, I tried googling it first, but that just pointed out some hotel in Tulsa ...)
Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 11:24 am
@Ticomaya,
the mayo clinic website is second only to the one in England (NHS) for high quality free health information.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 11:36 am
@Ticomaya,
As Rocky says, I meant the Mayo Clinic. If I were referring strictly to cardiac operations, I would have said Cleveland Clinic because it isn't quite as well known as the Mayo.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 04:41 pm
@roger,
Okay. In that case I have a Mayo a few miles from my house.
0 Replies