HOMETOWN TOURIST

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 05:31 pm
I'm listening to Randy Bachmann on the radio, and he's just pointed out that people often are not tourists in their home town, or even their local region. He said when he and his wife and children were living in Vancouver, sometimes they couldn't take a summer vacation because a child or parent would be ill, or someone would have commitments. So they would go to the museums in Vancouver, or spend a day at the beach, on their own beaches.

I gotta say, i know what he's talking about. I've driven past Niagara Falls literally dozens of times--i've never seen Niagara Falls. I've visited the Royal Ontario Museum just once, when they had a Darwin exhibit (they had manuscript journals of his and letters he had written, and i couldn't pass that up). But really, we don't go to local tourist attractions.

What's your experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:22 pm
@Setanta,
We call em "Staycations" . They were popular in really bad times when summer rentals were not part of many folks budgets.

Most any area has many delightful sights and places of historical, artistic, and scientific interest.
In the Brandywine area there I a museum of Wyeth and Pyle and(to a limited extent) Pre-Raphaelite work. This summer they are having aseris of shows and one, in particular are works of the Maine cost by Jamie Wyeth and Rockwell Kent.

The idiot re-enactors are up at Gettysburg and Wrightsville (for the annual bridge burning) . The radio said that today there were about 50000 tourists and 10000 re-enactors ). Imagine all these guys in wool uniforms and sleeping in pup tents .
The Irish brigade was true all the way down to the ambulance of "select beverages " for the Union soldiers
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:24 pm
@farmerman,
If ya seen one buncha reenactors, you've fulfilled your obligation to the experience.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 06:34 pm
@Setanta,
My dad took me to the whole Gettysburg 100th anniversary re-enactment. We wandered around Kulps Hill and the fileds around where Picketts boys would "charge" and then my dad, wise man that he was , said.
"Lets get the hell out of here and get some ice cream"
To this day,in his honor, I have avoided anything that was titled "re-enactment" They do a Battle of the Brandywine every year and all it does is boost the sales of mushrooms to the tourists who think that Kennet Square mushrooms taste differently than those grown in a cave in California.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 07:02 pm
The people who clean up on that stuff are the people who sell those goofballs their equipment--the wool uniforms, the canteens, haversacks, etc. The real fanatics get wool and make their own homespun, but there's huge industry to sell these items to the reenactors. A guy i know in North Carolina, in the days before computers in homes were common, did some digging and found an Italian company that makes a reproduction of the Lee-Enfield Pattern 1853 rifled musket. Later, he was ready to kick himself because the repro-boys have such a demand that they actually sell their guns for more than it would cost to pick up a Pattern 1853 original (apparently, thousands of items, including the Pattern 1853, were amassed from what is known as the Nepalese cache, sell offs of old, old equipment from Nepal).

Anyhoo, people are cleaning up on the reenactors. I went once, to the Bentonville reenactment in North Carolina. It was fascinating , and once was enough. Unlike something like Gettysburg, the place isn't overrun, so it's not the freak show that i've heard other people describe. I still had no interest in a second run through.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 08:00 pm
@Setanta,
Museums. Within a 50 mile radius of us, Ill bet there are over 50 museums and another 20 art galleries.
We have everything from the "Crayola" museum to the "Mutter" museum, where a med college hs a collection of anatomical parts from dead folks. The famous. the infamous, and the just plain weird.
Martin mYlins gun shop, where the Pa long rifle was first fabricated for the Continental.

I used to work in Zanesville for Oglebay Norton. Id stay in Columbus and visit the Western Art museum and the Museum of Science and the Parks built around the various "Mounds" .

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 04:06 am
I lived in Ohio longer than i lived in any other place in my life, but i never visited any of the mounds. COSI (Central Ohio Science and Industry [museum]) was somewhere i walked past going to work every day for years--not some place i visited.

You have my deepest sympathy for having lived in Zanesville.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 05:38 am
@Setanta,
Zanesville was not dismal, it had some neat areas.However, I couldn't think of a "Staycation" in that entire area of Ohio like we could here in the central Valley of PA. We are within a 70 mile radius of Philly, Baltimore, the Appalachians, and the beaches of the Chesapeake and Delaware.
However, I feel like this part of the colonies is a museum rather than a vibrant area.
0 Replies