Anyone familiar with Seattle here?

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:05 pm
Me and the boys are headed to Seattle Sunday. They'll be going to the football game so I'll have a chunk of time to spend wandering around.

We're staying at a hotel at 4th and University -- not far from the museum and Pike's Market, etc. but I'm thinking everything like that will be closed in the evening, especially on Christmas Eve Eve.

I'm not opposed to just knocking around the hotel (it looks wonderful) but I'm wondering if the neighborhood is okay for me to just wander around in by myself, maybe take some photos. What about a good restaurant?

What is it like around there at night?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 4,869 • Replies: 43

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:10 pm
@boomerang,
I've been there, met some seattle abuzz/a2kers. Alas, I'm no help on directing you.

So, I'll read along.
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I've been there several times but under different circumstances. I just don't want to wander into areas that are closed for the night!
Joeblow

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:27 pm
@boomerang,
If no-one wanders by with some feedback, may I suggest you speak to the concierge at the hotel? They've been wonderful resources for me in the past. Worth a shot.

Have a wonderful time.
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:31 pm
@Joeblow,
I agree! The concierge is always a great resource.

I was trying to remember who on A2K was from Seattle thinking I'd just PM them.... I couldn't remember if any of them were still on here.

I do know a good Seattle forum that I could ask on but I trust A2K more! The concierge would come second, then this other forum.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:33 pm
@boomerang,
I'm a walker a lot in daytime, and because of my eyes less so at night. I'll walk just about anywhere in daytime.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I've been there, met some seattle abuzz/a2kers. Alas, I'm no help on directing you.

So, I'll read along.

Just as a curiosity based inquiry, who in a2k is our Seattle based constituent?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:39 pm
@boomerang,
Jeanne d'Seattle, or a name like that. (other name at abuzz)
Pifka. I won't just give you her info, but maybe you can chase some of it down. I don't have her email, etc, any more, or I'd ask her to contact you.
Peace and Love/similar name.

I can easily imagine you and Pifka having long talks. She remains a favorite person of mine.
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Me too!

And the neighborhood doesn't even matter much during daytime.

At night I'm a bit more cautious. Especially in a city where I don't know my way around.

I might just end up hanging at the hotel. I'm kind of a hotel junkie and I like to explore all the nooks and crannies. Mr. B booked a room at this hotel knowing my predilection for hotel spelunking.
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I think most of the PNW people have left A2K.

Yityal, Yit'wal... something like that.... posted long ago. I think I remember that his nmoniker was the Inuit word for white whale. I liked him.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:48 pm
@boomerang,
I am famous to myself for my need to check out hotels; I blame that on my father, who sent me letters, back when I was small, from hotels on his work trips.

Well, interesting hotels, not Ramadas.
boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
We'll be staying at a nice hotel (on the historic register) but even the Ramada's can be interesting -- if you can find where the staff takes their smoke breaks you can get the real inside scoop and sometimes a kitchen tour.

I love hotel kitchens!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:52 pm
@boomerang,
I've met him - he visited Dys and Diane and I got to go along.
I'm not clear that the nw is where he lives, but don't trust me.
I think he still is on a2k sometimes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:54 pm
@boomerang,
hotel kitchens, I'm green with envy..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:56 pm
@ossobuco,
http://able2know.org/user/yitwail/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 07:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Pifka may be on fb... I think someone mentioned that.

This is trying as I'd just like to pm you her name, and she'd probably like that. But still - privacy and all. Dammit. She is wonderful to know.

Maybe some other a2ker who is on facebook can somehow connect the two of you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 08:16 pm
@boomerang,
I have no idea if seattle friend still gets PMs or not, but here's her profile.

http://able2know.org/user/seattlefriend/
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 10:08 pm
@boomerang,
Yit's a nice guy, if you can ignore his politics ... Razz

Bring an umbrella. That's about as helpful as I can be, unfortunately. I visited once, and it rained every second I was there. Not unusual, I understand. Oh, and they throw fish. Lots of coffee joints, as I recall.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 12:41 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Crime And Disorder On Seattle's Downtown Streets
Ross Reynolds
10/12/2012 at 12:20 p.m. ShareThis

Complaints about open drug dealing and aggressive panhandling on downtown Seattle streets are on the rise and visitors, residents and business owners alike are raising their voices to the mayor and City Council as they take on budget planning for 2013. Will greater police presence and better and more services for the homeless make the city safer? City officials and business and social services advocates tell us what they think, and then we take your calls

http://www2.kuow.org/program.php?id=28184

my daughter (21) lives about 10 blocks away. she says it is a little sketch with the homeless at night but they wont rape or kill you. she walks down there alone at night, but always a little leery. according to the crime stats downtown is pretty safe for an american city, but our nations social structural problems are on full display. dont be out after midnight though.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:01 am
@hawkeye10,
it appears that seattle is much were olympia is....here advocates for the vagrants have long carried the day in city politics, but now businesses and the general public are fed up and demanding that clean up efforts must go forwards.

http://q13fox.com/2012/11/02/businesses-ask-seattle-leaders-to-do-something-about-downtown-crime/