Christian Usergroup: What does it mean to be a Christian

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:17 am
usergroups: Christian
format: free style for now.

What does it mean to be a Christian and how do you live your life as a Christian?

sidebar note:
If you're not a member of the Christian user-group, We would ask that you refrain from posting in this particular thread unless you have joined and been accepted into the usergroup. It is intended for Christians to have conversation among other Christians. Thank You for your consideration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,127 • Replies: 37
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:52 pm
Being a Christian means being a follower of Jesus Christ. I believe and trust in Jesus and all the things he promised. I am in the on going process (daily walk) of turning away from my non-Christ like ways and more trying to live by the ways Jesus did.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:22 pm
ditto...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:24 pm
Maybe more Christians would like to pipe in?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 11:40 am
I'd have thought so...but maybe not
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:52 pm
listening
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:13 am
"What does it mean to be a Christian"?

"What does it mean to be a follower of Jesus Christ?"

Jesus said: "Truly, I say to you, there is no man who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive manifold more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life. Luke 18:29-30" But I suspect that this might not mean that Christians are to abandon their families... Smile

So what does "for the sake of the kingdom of God" mean? And should we be concerned about the possibility of being mistaken about what the "kingdom of God" might ask of us (as I believe nineteen young Muslims were mistaken some time back)?
0 Replies

roseosharone

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:22 am
What does it mean to be a Christian?
It means that I am accountable to a higher being than myself, because I realize that I am not good enough to make decisions with out His help.
It means being able to accept that no matter how good or bad things get I have someone to call on for help.
It means that even though that help may not come in the form I wish it would, it is exactly what I need.
It means I am safe no matter what happens to my body or mind, my spirit belongs to someone else and He won't let anything evil happen to it.
It means that I am not in control, but am controlled by my choice.
Praise God!

What does it mean to be a follower of Jesus Christ?
It means all of the above is possible because of His death, resurrection, and ascention.
It means that I have a constant buddy pleading my case to the court even if I can not.
It means I have a hope and a future.
It means I am not stuck here in the failed body on a failing planet forever, but it also means there is life after death.
Again I say Praise God!
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
Excellent response, Rose: it is proper to be reminded that "what it means" is heavenly, rather than earthly. I suppose my struggle is with the answer to the question "what does it look like to be a Christian?" History teaches that turning the principles of Christianity into "the light of the world" without getting lost in self-interest or cultural concerns is a tricky business. Basic human weakness, of course.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 04:09 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
So what does "for the sake of the kingdom of God" mean? And should we be concerned about the possibility of being mistaken about what the "kingdom of God" might ask of us (as I believe nineteen young Muslims were mistaken some time back)?

19 young muslims? Jnh, what issue is this? where can I read about it please?

Mistaken about what the Kingdom of God might as of us? How is that? I suppose there could be a mistake about what the Kingdom of God asks...but is there more being asked of His Followers than to spread his word to the masses?
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:21 pm
I was referring to 19 suicide pilots...
Their zeal was unquestionable, and unquestioning, and unquestionably misguided.

Can Christians find themselves in the same situation (i.e., misguided as they attempt to do things they believe are in keeping with the will of God)?

And the teaching of the Kingdom includes much about God's grace, but not so much of our responsibilities...I can think of:
- the struggle to keep God's word alive in our hearts (the Soils story)
- the struggle to achieve/be prepared for the Kingdom (the Treasure & Wedding stories)
- investment in Heaven (the Talents/Minas story)
- forgiveness (the Unforgiving Servant story)
- kindness toward all (the Sheep/Goats story)

Are there others?

While the last two are relatively unambiguous, the previous stories are open to manipulative interpretations (may God spare us from them).
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 09:08 pm
Hi!

Thanks for finally letting me in-- I thought you had consigned me to the ranks of heathen, or something. Cool

The meaning of my Christianity has meant more than a couple of things to me over the past thirty or so years.

As I'm settling into my forties ( Rolling Eyes ), it's more about sincere appreciation, meditation 'on' Christ, and 'with' Christ, and continuously breaking the useless or detrimental habits I continuously re-start... Confused

The externals have fallen away a lot! There are still times I care more than I should about what people think--and my constant challenge is to continually scratch and scrape the chaff away that seems to grow on me, unabated, whenever I stop scratching and scraping... (Keeps me in Good Company, all that confessing...)

A peaceful, reliable friendship seems like a good description. Solace. Refuge. The Absolutely Last Saloon This Side Of The Pecos... This is one aspect.

The Holy aspect is not for me to glibly throw out here or now. Maybe some other time.

I think it's nice to have a Christian group. Conversations or debates so often wind up in different places when people who believe differently enter the conversation. It will be nice to see where these go under these circumstances...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 01:14 am
welcome
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:57 pm
I just found this... i dont know why it has taken me so long....

that is a very profound question that was asked... thank you Husker.

to me being a christian is a very difficult thing in this day and age. though im only 22 and only been saved since i was about 17, i have found out that by being a chirstian you are almost consider an outsider.

In today's day and age a christian must have very thick skin and willing to stand by those things which they believe and try to tell others about the word and works of christ.

it is very hard to do that. for one people say they have heard it before and dont want to hear it again. two, they automaticlly think of you as a bible thumper.

i have found that working with the youth in my church is one of the most rewarding things that could ever happened to me.

i know this doesnt exactly answer your proposed question... but its very tough to answer directly.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:11 pm
thanks for your post and insight - seems true to me also
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:14 am
bump
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:22 pm
I find it is often difficult being a Christian in today's world. I was happy to find these Christian threads.

I love talking about the Lord. I do not love being slammed for it, but, of course, that's my flesh that hates that. I think it's important that Christians have somewhere to go to get some encouragement and refreshment in the spirit. I am hoping to find that here. I have had discussions with Husker and have always been encouraged by him.

It gets harder everyday to explain to people how the world is declining in moral values. The idea of everyone should be able to do as they please because they should have a choice is tearing this world apart. Of course, we all knew it was coming. It just doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone here! Husker, I am so glad you started this thread!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:23 pm
testing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:30 pm
Husker,

There seems to be a problem. I thought you had to be a member of the Christian Usergroup to post to these threads? I started a thread "I Want A Real Christian Discussion" and it appears anyone at all can post. Now, it looks like they can post to this one also. I know I had to become a member to post in here. Do you know if anything has changed?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 01:35 pm
Testing as well.
0 Replies