Is a skype number required?

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 05:13 am
I am being asked by a prospective employer to provide a skype number for purposes of a video interview. That would cost [significant] money. Can I participate in such a conference [call] / interview without having such a skype number?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 06:19 am
@rustytyson,
who is proposing to charge you for the skype # ?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 07:06 am
@rustytyson,
Yes you can do a video call for free on Skype without a skype number. I have done that quite often.

When you get a free account on skype, you sign up with a skype name (your logon). Then the other party can search for your name, connect with their own skype and video chat, all for free.

It costs money to call a regular phone with your skype. But using skype to talk to another skype user is free.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 07:08 am
@rustytyson,
Is there a chance that this prospective employer is scamming you? I don't know the details, but something about this makes me a little suspicious.

Every legitimate company I have ever interviewed with pays for all the expense of interviewing. You should never give money to a prospective employer.
0 Replies