SpywareBlaster V 3.0

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:54 am
Hi All...I am a 'just hatched newbie' and need your advice.

SpywareBlaster has just released a new version which I have downloaded but not yet installed.

Another club's computer forum reports a warning that the new version stores a huge chunk of the database in the registry and can cause serious over bloat and slowing down of the computer.

If anyone is using this program I sure would appreciate your input and advice. Would hate to be without this program but have so much "bloat" from all of the other anti whatsits that I don't want to beggar up my machine by adding more.

thanks
jollyone Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 656 • Replies: 9
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:45 pm
Anything that runs as a background service, such as monitoring and intercepting browser pages, will have an impact on system performance. If yours is a newer machine, with a PIII or P4 processor, a current Celeron, or one of AMD's contemporaneous processors, say anything 500Mhz or faster, and you have at least 128MB of RAM (256 or more is better, of course), you should be fine, though if you are on a broadband connection, you might notice a slight impact on some web stuff ... nothing major. If you're on dialup, I doubt you could notice any difference. For best effect, SpyWareGuard and SpyWareBlaster should be used together, both should be kept up to date. NOTE: neither serves the function of an antivirus or firewall, applications of far more critical importance than adware blockers. Without a least a good Antivirus, and preferably a firewall, you're just asking for trouble ... and likely it'll find you on its own, rather sooner than later.

Oh, and re "bloat" ... what all ya got goin' on there? Mebbe some of it can be weeded out, or at least tweaked, to perk things up a bit.
0 Replies

jollyone

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 11:07 am
timberlandko wrote:
Oh, and re "bloat" ... what all ya got goin' on there? Mebbe some of it can be weeded out, or at least tweaked, to perk things up a bit.

Thanks for reply.
I have pentium II, 8.43 gb, 192mb, 350megs,W98.....old by today's standards I know but will have to do until I win lottery.
Other bloat....Avast/Zone Alrm/Spybot S&D/ADAware/SpywareBlaster ( old version).
I think that's it. Rolling Eyes

Apparently the new version of SB adds hundreds of files to registry which are hidden and which could be handled by some other type of file outside of registry..bleh..bleh..I am just a granny and don't really know what I am talking about Laughing ...so I am concerned about overload, overbloat, whatever.

Thanks
jollyone
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 06:17 pm
OK ... I think that means you have a 350MHz PII, 192MB of RAM, an 8-something GB hard drive, and you're operating system is Windows 98 ... though I don't know if that is just Windows 98, or if its Windows 98SE. We'll worry about that later. In fact, we'll worry about all of this later ... what follows is just an outline for a proposed tune-up of your machine. Don't do any of this yet ... just read along and get an idea of what is entailed. Feel free to ask about anything you're not clear on ... bound to be some of that; I'm a lousy teacher, as I tend to take a lot of stuff for granted. Don't let me run off and leave you, OK? :wink:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm gonna assume you want to use your machine mostly for web surfing, email, maybe a little messaging or chat, and, at the outside, maybe a little light game play (eg: solitaire and such), with perhaps some home book keeping. While no powerhouse, that machine should handle all of that stuff just fine. Maybe one thing at a time, but it'll do it.

To start with, its a good idea to whittle down your startup. All sorts of stuff likes to come along for the ride when Windows starts up, and most of it does nothing. All that is absolutely necessay at start up are Explorer and Systray. It is advisable to have one's security and privacy applications start with Windows too ... a real-time-scan-enabled anti-virus, a firewall as one more layer of security, and, if you wish, an add-blocker you favor. Arranging this is not difficult at all, other than that some applications have a sneaky way of re-enabling themselves, but that can be dealt with too. Its a good place to start, and the steps mostly are simple to follow.

Next, your Internet Explorer should be current. The present version for Win98 is IE 6.0.2800.1106, Service Pack 1, which may be downloaded (a looooooong download on dialup - possibly hours, depending on your connection speed) from Microsoft Internet Explorer. A CD is available, free, but with a $5.00 US/$7.50 Can shipping charge. If you are on dialup, the CD is far and away the best bet for you. Don't do anything yet though ... just keep reading.

Now, to look at Win 98. The current version is Windows 98, Second Edition, Version 4.10.2222A. If you have not done so for a while, I would recommend you visit Windows Update, not right now, but as soon as may be convenient. If its been a while since you've updated Windows, you'll find plenty there to do ... likely more than you want to tackle in one sitting. Don't be alarmed if the website wants you to download a "Critical Component" before it will allow you to proceed further. When the time comes, just do it, so you can get to the rest. Don't be daunted, just whack away at the Critical Updates one at a time untill you get them all. Don't worry about anything other than the Critical Updates for now; the rest are more or less niceties, and many are of use only in specific situations. We can deal with that later, and help you pick out the ones you need.

The current avast! free-for-home-use version is 4.1.357, dated 02/27/04, and the most recent file update appears to be dated 03/31/04. You should see to it your copy is current and fully updated.

The current version of AdAware Personal is 6.181, and the most recent file update, as of this writing, is 01R279, dated 03/31/04. Again, if you're running an older version, I'd recommend you download and install the latest version, and, of course, once its installed, update its reference file.

For Spybot, the current version is SpyBot S&D 1.2, and the latest file update is dated 03/04/04. Again, same drill; I'd recommend moving to the current version if you don't already have it, and, of course, run the update before using the scanner.
I wouldn't worry about SpyWareBlaster or Spyware Guard ... in fact I'd say SpyBot S&D and AdAware, along with avast! and ZoneAlarm, oughtta keep you plenty safe, and your machine should be able to function pretty well with just those two loaded. If you had a faster, newer processor, and more RAM, it might be a different story, but we have to work with what you've got.

That's about the lot for now, and I know its a lot, but it doesn't have to be done at one shot. It is, however, a good idea to take the tasks in order, and completete each one before moving on to the next. Until everything is caught up, I'd avoid any but known, trusted websites, and I'd open absolutely no email attachments ... even if they seem to come from someone you know. Just reading your email is pretty much safe ... as long as you don't click any links contained in emails, or open any attachments, at least untill your antivirus is up-to-date and properly configured. Don't be paranoid ... just be cautios (which is a good plan anyway)

If you think you're up for it, I'll try to step you through it a piece at a time, and I'm sure there are plenty of others here who'll be glad to help too. Just say the word, and we'll start by determing the versions and updaye status of your software, and by reigning in those startup items that come galloping along as soon as Windows is let out of the barn.
0 Replies

jollyone

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:22 am
timberlandko.....
Thanks for that very explicit reply but I think I may have misled you.
I have had my PC for five years now and have learned a great deal about its maintenance through forums like this and helpful people like yourself.

I keep my programs updated with special attention to the ones in the protection and prevention area and my W98 has been updated with everything that is available. IE, OE are all updated too. Startup is cut to basic needs. All is tweaked, powdered and perfumed. Razz My rating in technical teminolgy however is about a "D". Rolling Eyes
Incidentally I found a great little Browser by the name of K-Meleon a few months which is very basic but oh my how it skims through the net when surfing. Tried a few others but like this one best. IE seems like an old plodder in comparison .

My main concern was this news about the new version of SpywareBlaster and its effect on the registry. I do have most of my finacial stuff on line and do back it up to floppies but they are so limted in size.
Still haven't installed the new version of SB. Seems they have a few bugs to iron out so will wait for a bit.

Thanks again
jollyone Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:56 am
Bookmark
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:24 am
jolleyone, I'm very glad to hear you've been on top of your system's software maintenance, and that you have a handle on the startup herd. And I'm very glad to hear that you store important data on removeable media. That puts you well ahead of lots and lots of folks. All that being the case, I think you're in pretty good shape, 'puter-wise. One thing you might wanna think about is adding a higher-capacity external drive so the 1.44MB floppies aren't such a hassle. If your machine has USB capability, or if you have either an available parallel port or pick up a cheap port switch, a 100MB Zip drive would allow you to store the equivilant of about 70 floppies'-worth of data on a single Zip disk. One thing to be aware of, though, is that with some older systems, such as those based on the PII chip, the presence of a connected USB device may cause a hang up and stall at reboot ... no biggie if you remember to disconnect the device after shutting down and reconnecting it on startup. If you go the parallel port option, boot stall isn't a problem, but data transfer would be quite a bit slower than with USB, though still markedly faster than with floppies. Prices for external 100MB Zip drives run from under $50 up to around $100 ... judicious shopping can snare you a bargain, and you likely will greatly benefit from the additional data storage capability.
0 Replies

jollyone

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 04:45 pm
timberlandko....now that sort of techie talk really scares me Laughing

I had thought about going that route, but you know the motherboard et al is over five years old so I thought I might wait a bit and get a new setup built from scratch. I think I would stay with my W98 as I hear all sorts of reports about XP. I have the disc and have ordered the update disc from Microsoft. Without the added expense of the XP disc I just might be able to afford it sooner. I do want a CD burner too.

I am just about sick at the thought of losing all of my downloaded music so your suggestion about the zip floppy sounds good too. I could back it all up and load it on to my daughter's machine which has a CD burner installed.

Oh, what to do, what to do Rolling Eyes ........

Well I am going to give it all some serious thought but right now, I am off to have my pre dinner cocktail.

Thanks again
jollyone
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 05:00 pm
Win the lottery? For Pete's sake, check out Dell's website for their super deals. You can get a decent, new machine for under $400 with enough bonuses (like free Internet for 6-months) to lower the cost even further.

I bought one at Christmas that was $349 after mail in rebate, came with a free Palm Pilot and 6-months of free Earthlink, so the effective cost was something like $150. Unreal.
0 Replies

jollyone

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 09:40 am
cjhsa wrote:
Win the lottery?

Ah, you are obviously young and still earning. When one is retired and living on a fixed income a small win on the lottery could be nice. Just a remark really, I only buy a ticket once in a while. :wink:

Yes, Dell has some good offers but all in U.S. funds and I really don't need a Palm Pilot etc., so doesn't mean much to me.
Thanks anyway
jollyone.
0 Replies