A woman who can dunk!

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 10:11 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?id=1771877

Pretty cool article on the first woman ever to win the McDonald's High School All-American Slam Dunk contest, which Lebron James won last year. This has got to be good news for the WNBA, huh? Without women who can dunk, that league is going down. Candace Parker could become the Wilt Chamberlin of her era.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,613 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:35 am
that sister got the mad skillz!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:45 am
Oops, I thought this was the "A woman who is drunk" thread....kickycan has me all confused not posting a sex-related topic. Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:59 am
I'll have to come up with something for ya later. :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:15 pm
More power to the woman who can dunk, but I, for one, enjoy women's basketball as it is. They play the game the way the men played before dunking became the supreme expression of hoop skills.

They run plays, pick and roll, and shoot from the outside. I like men's teams that play that way, too.

If the women's game depends on dunking, the league is doomed. I doubt that many women will be able to do it, at least not for a while. What's the point of trying to be like the men?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:59 pm
Face it, people want the flashy stuff. If every team in the NBA played that conservative style, it would be in major trouble. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:10 pm
in the short run, i think a female dunker will help drum up interest.
but long-term it probably does hurt more than help the women's game...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:28 pm
How will it hurt the game?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:32 pm
Q:
Quote:
How will it hurt the game?

A:
Quote:
They play the game the way the men played before dunking became the supreme expression of hoop skills.
They run plays, pick and roll, and shoot from the outside.

If the women's game depends on dunking, the league is doomed. I doubt that many women will be able to do it, at least not for a while.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
Please. Nothing's going to help or hurt women's basketball. It's like watching paint dry.

Don't worry people, dunking will never become a big part of women's basketball.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:00 pm
Slappy, I agree that it is boring as hell. But the dunk will save that league!!! That is, if the league doesn't fold in the next few years.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:08 pm
But how many women can dunk? And in a game? Not enough to make the league exciting. Besides, it's not just that, it's the overall skill level of game.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:42 pm
Only time will tell. It is a boring league, and I don't really care one way or the other whether they survive. I just thought that this Candace chick looks like she could dunk in a game. Pretty amazing.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:08 pm
I saw that exact same girl compete in a dunk contest before and she missed every dunk she attempted(every dunk she attempted was a regular one handed dunk. By the way, a one handed dunk is easier than a two handed dunk because you get more reach with the one hander.)
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 11:16 pm
I have an odd question about this.

Did she use the women's basketball or a men's?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 11:20 pm
NeoGuin wrote:
I have an odd question about this.

Did she use the women's basketball or a men's?

Most likely a women's basketball so she could palm it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 11:23 pm
In the picture all she is doing is a standard 1 hand dunk, how did she win with that?! I think the reason she won falls between 2 things, her legs. If I were one of the dudes in the competition and I was doing 360 windmills, and I lost to a 1 handed dunk...I'd be pissed!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 01:41 pm
I saw the dunk contest, the dunks were nothing special. I mean, it's rare to find a woman that can, but she wasn't as good as the men. The last guy missed every attempt, I think that's what put her in first.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 01:51 pm
Does anyone have a link to video of the dunks?

...both my brother and I are wondering if she won because her dunks were better or because she is a woman who can dunk. I would like to believe it was because she won fair and square, but need to see some clips to make an informed decision.

Cheers,

-Jer-
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 08:19 pm
Jer:

Try ESPN.com
0 Replies