Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,328 • Replies: 30
No top replies

beebo

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:48 am
no
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:52 am
I believe that God is a concept postulated by man, so as to allay anxieties concerning issues of which people do not yet have an understanding.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:11 am
be more specific "how?" I dunno - it just happened
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:23 am
I found this poem:

When I Say "I am a Christian"

When I say . . . I am a Christian
I'm not shouting "I am saved."
I'm whispering "I get lost"
That is why I chose this way.

I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need someone to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I am weak
and pray for strength to carry on.

I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
and cannot ever pay the debt.

I'm not claiming to be perfect.
My flaws are too visible
but God believes I'm worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
which is why I seek HIS name.

I do not wish to judge.
I have no authority
I only know I'm loved.

Written By:
Carol Wimmer
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
I believe in God because I have seen so many people changed for the better, almost against their will, when they decided to do things God's way or as some would say: "they let go and let God."
And, for me, there are just too many things for which there is no logical explanation if there is no God.

I believe that anybody who wants to believe in God and invite God to introduce Himself, no strings attached, will become a believer. The kicker here though is 'no strings attached.' It has to be with no notions of how or when it is supposed to happen. Most people become non-believers because at some point God did not act or behave in the way they thought He should or when they thought He should.

I do think meeting God is a one on one exercise. I think there is zero chance that anybody can prove the existence of God to somebody else.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:00 pm
I say how indeed. Nice thread kickycan. I have a hard time reconciling personal triumphs with a god figure. If the 'god tool' works, I have no problem, but as we are talking about god, I would have to agree with Aquinas' statement that the kingdom of god resides within. Brilliant statement....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:11 pm
I believe in God with all my might.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:21 pm
totally and completely
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:30 pm
I'm in debate whether i believe in him. I dont believe in religion but i dont know about god
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:07 pm
I am becoming moreconvinced that god can be reached through nature.If you submit to it and speak directly and earnestly that one can be surprised that the idea of discover awaits you in a fasinating and personal communication with something more mysterious than ourselves.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:12 pm
Agreed! That's what I think and feel while bird watching.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 06:41 pm
Also in inanimate objects as well. For insatnce communicate with stones and trees.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:23 pm
Thanks for all your answers. I was wondering what kind of response I'd get. Interesting answers.

I was going to respond to each of you, but that looked like just a little bit too much work. Sorry! I'm a little bit lazy. Sue me.

I posted this because I really want to know how to believe in God. Sometimes I think life would be simpler for me if I just knew how to believe in God. All my family are big believers, and I'm not. Whenever they start talking about it, I have to just keep my mouth shut and wait it out until they move on to some other topic.

So I thought I'd ask.

How do you believe? I guess I'll never know.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:54 pm
Here's a exerpt from a song that expresses my beliefs.

I believe, for every drop of rain that falls,
A flower grows...

I believe that somewhere in the darkest night,
A candle glows...

I believe for everyone who goes astray,
Someone will come, to show the way,
I believe, I believe...

I believe, above the storm the smallest prayer,
Will still be heard...

I believe, that someone in the great somewhere,
Hears every word...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 01:29 am
I have no idea how to believe in God, or why you would want to. If there is a God, I don't know why he doesn't just reveal himself to everyone in the world instead of playing hide-and-seek.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:12 am
Believe in IDEALs. IDEALs exist.

(I can feel what the ideal of mine is, which is imposed. Alas, I am far from it. I should make efforts.)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 03:29 am
colorbook wrote:
Here's a exerpt from a song that expresses my beliefs.

I believe, for every drop of rain that falls,
A flower grows...

I believe that somewhere in the darkest night,
A candle glows...

I believe for everyone who goes astray,
Someone will come, to show the way,
I believe, I believe...

I believe, above the storm the smallest prayer,
Will still be heard...

I believe, that someone in the great somewhere,
Hears every word...

Isn't this the "Unchained Melody"?
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 05:19 am
kickycan wrote:
Thanks for all your answers. I was wondering what kind of response I'd get. Interesting answers.

I was going to respond to each of you, but that looked like just a little bit too much work. Sorry! I'm a little bit lazy. Sue me.

I posted this because I really want to know how to believe in God. Sometimes I think life would be simpler for me if I just knew how to believe in God. All my family are big believers, and I'm not. Whenever they start talking about it, I have to just keep my mouth shut and wait it out until they move on to some other topic.

So I thought I'd ask.

How do you believe? I guess I'll never know.

It would be easier to give you advice if you stated how you think of God now. As probably nonexistent? As possibly existent? As some sort of incomprehensible force that may or may not exist?

Anyhow, sincere prayer is the best advice I can come up with, although it obviously requires some degree of belief to be sincere. Pray that God shall become a part of your life and that he shall reveal himself to you.

I've believed in God in one way or another for as long I can remember, however, for the most time my concept of God was some kind of supreme, omnipotent force that was the origin of everything, i.e., a very impersonal concept. Later, after quite a bit of reading and thinking, this changed to a belief in God as a benevolent and infinitely wise supreme being/intelligence/personality rather than an impersonal, omnipotent force. I still didn't perceive that a personal relation to God was possible, though. One day I came to read about the fatherhood of God, but I really couldn't understand what was meant. I just didn't understand how God could be Father, and if "he" was, in what sense. I then prayed that I would come to experience the reality of this, and not long after, it became more real to me than anything else. Until then, my belief in God was merely intellectual, no different from any other beliefs. But on that day, belief became Faith. All doubts were utterly wiped out, and I knew with absolute certitude that God, not only was real, but also was love itself and good itself.

The key, I believe, is a sincere desire to know God and be led by him.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 08:35 am
The amazing thing about god is that it is more like something inezpressable in nature. When you find a powerfull spot,one that has a small undefinable drawing towards it, still there and establish a presence and think out loud in your head to there that is around you eventually use this as your target area and ask to see a face in a rock or in the trees maybe its a letter maybe a symbol whatever do this for one month on a consistent basis and you might be surprised how nature can communicate through the innanimate.
0 Replies