Eternal Sunshine

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 06:39 pm
This is a wonderful movie. Saw if Friday and the audience applauded at the end. More later!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
Ebert agrees with you as well as a majority of the film critics.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-eternal19f.html
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:02 am
I just saw Under the Tuskan Sun also very good.
0 Replies

Jacci

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:38 am
Spoiler
I loved this movie, too. Its one of those movies that makes you feel smarter...its fairly easy to "get" but since they never really come right out and tell you, you get to feel like you figured it out.

For example, did you notice that the Kate Winslet character is only "real" when she has blue hair? Every other time she's only in Jim Carey's mind, and only doing what he thinks she would. Like, remember in the beginning, the friend's wife is talking to Joel about why Clem erased him. She says, "you know her, she's impulsive." Later, in a memory, when Joel asks Clem, she replies, "you know me, I'm impulsive." She couldn't say anything else, because that's what Joel THOUGHT she would say. Get it?

By the way, I would have like the ending much better if it had stopped with her saying "meet me in Mauntock" and then showing Joel waking up. You'd have to stop and think for a second, then you'd say "ooooohhhh...." and smile.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
Welcome, Jacci, to A2K and the Film Forum.

Interesting comments.
0 Replies

Jacci

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:35 pm
Wow, yall are friendly here. Its a wonderful change.

Plainoldme, Id like to hear you "more later." Have any opinions or insights on Eternal Sunshine?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:38 am
There's a good representation of film buffs on the site but we're not film snobs.
0 Replies

beatoswald

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:32 pm
I just saw it yesterday (it's day of release in britain) and wholly agree that its a great film. Throughtly moving and enjoyable.

---SPOILERS---

Jacci, i feel a major aspect of the film would be lost if it stopped where you suggested. Indeed, it may have enhanced the, as film theorist Murray Smith terms, 'architectural pleasure'. However, they must realise the fate of their relationship and then choose whether to try again with the full knowledge of the possible future. Its the very nature of relationships, that realistically, we have to enter into them knowing that quite possibly (or even likely?) it will end miserably with each member hating the other. Yet in full knowledge of this Joel and Clem give it another shot - because the happy moments they could have together, like the memories Joel regretted losing, are worth the danger of risking the end their first relationship met.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:23 am
I was just about to start a forum concerning this film, because I still don't have an opinion... as such.

After I first saw it I was so disturbed (I can figure why), I slept badly thinking about it all night. I came to the conclusion that despite what we do, even if we "erase" the person from our memory, you are going to be drawn back to that person if you have unfinished business with them.

Perhaps it was too close to home? Something I don't forgive myself (still) for.

I think I disliked the f@ucking with the "patients" as well... reading Joel's words back to Clementine...

It is a strange film, that I have never come to a conclusion about it. But I know I didn't not understand it.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
man this was such a great movie. i loved the cinematography. it was very well put together Smile
0 Replies